Alli - Does it still work?

Posted , 7 users are following.

i took Alli for about 18 months, about 7 years ago (2011?) it worked! I lost about 22 lbs, slowly.

inevitably, the weight is starting to go back on. I’ve therefore gone back on Alli. Tried various suppliers, but the result is the same with each one. Nothing happening at all!

Anyone else had this problem? Have I maybe built up an immunity?   Or has the formula changed?

Any advice welcome! 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Purpleheather,

I also lost around 3 stone on Orlistat about the same time as you.  It was prescribed by the doctor so was twice the strength of Alli which is sold over the counter.

Since then the weight has been coming back on so about a year ago I bought some, using a private prescription, over the internet on a safe website.  However I found like you, that absolutely nothing happened as regards weight loss.  

I do believe that the body builds up an immunity to the drug because, even the first time round, after about two years on Orlistat, I noticed weight had stopped shifting.  I doubt the ingredients would have changed as they were successful so that's the only conclusion I can come to.  I'm disappointed too. sad 

• Posted

Yes, I’ve also bought Orlistat over the Internet. Same thing. Didn’t work. This time I bought Alli on-line from Lloyd’s Pharmacy, thinking maybe the other ones were perhaps fake. The other day I took 4! Just to test them out. Nothing!

Dont know if you remember .... they were unavailable for a long time. Various stories went round, i.e. the factory burnt down, safety precautions etc. I am still suspicious that they may have changed the formula since then, because of negative feedback regarding side effects.

• Posted

Yes I do remember that time. You could be right and they altered the formula. Although to move from what worked to what didn’t seems a bit like shooting  themselves in the foot from a business point of view.  To be honest though I think they stopped working for me before that happened. 
  • Posted

I'm glad it's not just me !!

I was on Orlistat, through my doctor, about the same time as you and I lost 5 stone. Just over a year ago the weight started to creep back on and nothing I did would stop it or shift it.

My doctor suggested going back on them, which I was happy with but in 3 months I've lost bearly 3 kilos.

I suppose I should be happy I've lost something but i shall persevere and hope things change.

Good luck ladies, I hope things change for you

• Posted

That’s interesting! Obviously if your GP is prescribing them, they must be genuine. But, you HAVE lost some weight. I think I was losing it at that rate too, years ago, but I didn’t diet. Maybe you are dieting though?  You will know if it’s working by the side effects. (Orange coloured oily stools!)

When I discovered Alli, I dreamt about never being fat again!

• Posted

Hi I found the same I lost about 3-4 stone back in 2014 and I have gradually put the weight back on . I have tried orlistat again many times and alli too but nothing not even a pound ! I think they don’t work anymore do I’ve given up on them and just dieting and I got my new spin bike now 🤪 so hopefully i can loose it that way x

• Posted

I’m giving up on mine now. I stopped taking them in 2014, as I suddenly lost a lot of weight, after my husband left me. So didn’t need them. So you would think 4 years later, they would work. Good for you - dieting and exercise! 
  • Posted

So, I still had some of the "old formula pills" and I recently started taking them again. Worked like the magic I remembered, awful side effects and all. I was down to my last three pills so I ordered again from Walgreens. I missed only one day in between- tonight I dreaded taking a pill because we had a fatty meal. It has now been 3 hours since I ate and NOTHING! No bloating no gas no oil... this is not the same formula no matter what they say!!!

• Posted

I took otc Allin for over two years and went from 208 lbs to 155lbs!!! It was a miricle. Same thing with Phen-Phen. I Lost 40 lbs in 1 year befoe they banned it, claining it caused heart valve damage, BULLSHI*!!!! Alli is a prescription called Zenical.Insurance will NOT cover any weight loss drugs. Zenical costs $2000 for 30 pills!!!. The current OTC Alli claims to be unchanged from the drug that was recalled by the company, NOT the FDA because the claim it was contaminated with bits of plastic from machinery from machines it was processed in in Mexico. Again PURE BULLSHI*!!!. Why did it take soooo long to bring it back? Simple- public pressure because it WORKED!!!-VERY WELL, JUST LIKE PHEN-PHEN!!!. Why was Phen-Phen, then the real Alli removed? Soper simple-BECAUSED THEY WORKED!!!!. Fat is a multi billion dollar industry and do you think that Wheight Watchers, Jenny Craig, and many, many, others are idlely going to sit back and see their billion dollar corporations be wiped out by simple, realitively inexpensive pills-NO WAY!!!-Seriously, THINK ABOUT IT, it's so simple. I have other examples of other things that were destroyed by competition. Where is the legal system on this? Bought off, like everything else. If you agree with me, pass this info on to EVERYONE you know. May-be, something will change, but I doubt it. SarahLuu@netzero.net

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.