Alternate-day dosing with latanoprost generic

Posted , 8 users are following.

There seems to be evidence that instilling prostaglandin-class drops like latanoprost every day is not necessary for effectively lowering IOP.  Has anyone has had any success with alternate-day dosing?  It seems that despite the evidence that it works, doctors are afraid that patients will forget if they don't do it every day.  I am particularly interested in reducing the side effects (dry eye) and increasing the health of the ocular surface, especially for the long-term.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I have dry eye now for about a year. The doctor didn't tell me it was a side effect of latanprost. I'm more afraid of losing my eyesight, I'm not going to decrease it.

• Posted

I don't think opthalmologists consider dry eye or any other ocular surface disease a big deal.  When I was given my first sample I was told there are no side effects.  That was a huge red flag.  When I was first diagnosed for POAG my only symptom was sensitivity to glare.  Now I have dry eye and need to use preservative-free lubricants, especially at night, or I literally lose sleep!  The scare tactics are another red flag.  If you have evidence that your loss of vision is progressing, then it makes sense to consider dry eye a minor risk, but if the rate of progression is slow and merely age-related, then at least trying the most gentle of the laser procedures (MLT) makes more sense.  Has anyone undergone this procedure?

• Edited

I will suggest you to use generic latisse for glaucoma treatment. This is the best liquid solution for eye disorder and it is also used to make your eye lashes more beautiful. 

• Posted

Is latisse prescribed for glaucoma?

• Posted

I know my eyesight is the most important! I find out next week if the laser surgery on the one eye so far worked. If it didn't what's the point of having it done in the other. I know she wants me to have cataract surgery to prevent an acute attack. I don't know if I can face that.

• Posted

Hi guys, saw consultant last Friday ref laser surgery. I said I would rather try another eye drop first so I am on MONOPOST basically preservative free Latanaprost! Has anyone here tried it? Any laser, surgery....for me would be a last resort. I suppose we should all be guided by our consultants. Good luck to everyone.
    • Posted

I don't mean laser surgery but rather a laser procedure that is completely non-invasive, quick and gentle yet effective at lowering IOP.  MLT is the latest after the older SLT.  The only kind of eye surgery I would consider is cataract surgery if I need it in the future.

Monopost preservative-free sounds like a wonderful option.  Is it affordable?  I would switch to a preservative-free latanoprost in a heartbeat if it won't bankrupt me!  Right now I am using a preservative-free lubricant to deal with my dry eye caused by the latanoprost with preservative.

As for being guided by our consultants, I agree as long as they are trustworthy and have no hidden agendas such as their relationships to the drug companies that supply them with samples . . .  So much of glaucoma treatments rely on inconclusive tests and subjective interpretation of these results, treatment risks and harms, and how honest the doctors and consultants are about the evidence on which their recommendations are based.

Please keep us posted on the monopost!  Thanks.

• Posted

i had laser years ago fir retinal heamorage its ok it does not hurt better than drops waiting on laser now for gla in both eyes abd i gave dry eye

• Posted

after laser for high pressure i have a border line cataract

• Posted

Hi Arlene, What type of laser surgery did you have?  I hope it worked!  I am interested in MLT which is a non-invasive laser procedure that is supposedly effective in lowering IOP without tissue damage.  How much are your cataracts affecting your vision?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.