Anal fissures and problems and general problems

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi there, This is my first post.  I wish I'd found this forum a long time ago!  Had a (much delayed) diagnosis about 6 years ago.  I see a dermatologist yearly but having now (finally) read so much more about this problem, I think he's simply checking to make sure no danger signs for cancer rather than helping me to optimise my health.  Next time, I'm going with a list of questions!  But I also have a history of anal fissures and anal itching - and for the first time, I'm realising that this could also be LS.  Does anyone else have this problem and how do you best manage it?  I've begun to use the steriod ointment there as well but I'm worried about it being 'too much.'   I will discuss this with the doctor but I'd be interested to learn of other people's experiences with anal problems caused by LS.  Best wishes, Jo

2 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with LS just over a year ago by which time it had spread to my anus and my back.  I now have a patch on my left breast which isn't itchy but a rather unsightly purple colour.  Re. the anal involvement, my gynaecologist told me to apply the clobetosone to this area too.  It has worked well and is under control with the occasional flare up - especially during warmer weather.  Isn't it a wonderful condition?!
    • Posted

Thank you Kathryn - it sure is!  It does help  knowing that we aren't the only ones - I've felt quite humilated and isolated by it but can see that being more open will help with that too.  Best regards, J.
  • Posted

Same problems with me. I was told to apply the steroid cream. Like you I get a check up yearly but I now realise it is only to check for cancer. Really wish the doctors would get better trained and aware of the devastating and isolating feelings that LS brings.

• Posted

Thank you Lesile, much appreciated.  And I SO agree about the training point. Best regards, J.
    • Posted

Any other problems down there before this ? Abnormal smear test
  • Posted

Hi

Yes, I have that problem too. I had surgery a couple of times for hemorrhoids and polyps. That's when LS jumped in. It likes to follow traumatized areas. I found a doctor who ordered an ointment for me. It is awesome and controls the itching and burning in no time. It is made up of petroleum jelly (vaseline) not sure what the percentage of that is, but 2 per cent Diltiazem, and 1 percent Lidocaine. It was compounded for me at a local pharmacy. There are little applicators that you fill up to insert the ointment. I am sure that if you gave this to your doctor he/she could look it up in medical books and get the proper percentages. I have a 50 gram tube. Hope you can find someone to prescribe it.....it is phenomenal. Wish other things worked as well.

The anal fissures sometimes are worse after constipation. We need to keep our bowels regular and when they aren't we can get anal suppositories to help speed the excretion. Be sure to keep the area clean at all times. Fissures are open wounds.

Good luck! Hugs.

PS Yes there is a lot of information on here and we can certainly share our experiences and hopefully help each other.

• Posted

Oh Selina, Thank you SO much.  This is exactly my history too - I've twice been give botox in the bottom to help the fissures heal but neither time it's worked.  I'll certinly talk to the doc about that preparation - I'll print off how you describe it first.  I've only just realised that there's in all probability an LS dimension to it now .  Best regards, J.
    • Posted

Happy to be of help. Hope you find relief soon. Cheers!

• Posted

Proctoseydl ointment for the fissures internally and externally but not on the LS. That is recommended to me by my gastroenterologist and it works brilliantly. You can get it over the counter and it is about ten dollars in Australia. 
  • Posted

Jo, I'm sorry to hear that a doctor would suggest botox for healing fissures, I cannot quite get my head around that one!   I think you would do far better to find a Vulva clinic in your area that would be able to offer you some sound helpful advice.

With fissures on your anus you need to be using your Clobestol cream twice a day, which will reduce the redness and itching of the skin.  I would use about a pearl sized amount, and rub it in well after a warm bath, and you should start to see some results quite quickly.    It is a strong steroid, but it does its job if used correctly, and as someone else already mentioned its imperative that you work to keep this area meticulously clean throughout the day until your fissures have gone. 

There is a strong link between flare ups and sugar, and so cut out anything sweet for a while and you may be surprised by the results.

If you find the cream is not working you may need to look even more closely at your diet, as for some women being Gluten, and sometimes Dairy free, these are the only options left to us, to enable us to lead a life without constant itching and pain.

• Posted

Guppy, thank you - this is really, really helpful not just about the cream but also about when and how to use and everything else includng what you say about sugar: I've recently cut out sugar (and gluten too) and will give it a while before stopping dairy, although I could begin to reduce.  Too soon to see any results but I do feel better in myself which can't be bad, eh! 
    • Posted

Its worth cutting out one thing at a time, and slowly, otherwise you wont know what you may or may not have an intolerance to if you stop everything at once, and you really need a month between each, and if you get a result, than you may not need to cut out Dairy, because Dairy provides several important nutrients in the diet.
    • Posted

Thanks for the wise advice - makes good sense and I'll do just that.  Best, J.
  • Posted

I had this problem too. As well as using the clob I found it was really helpful to eat loads of fibre and drink lots of fluid so you have soft motions and no straining.It can be helpful to apply something like aloe vera jel or even baby cream to the area before  passing a stool and clean yourself with baby wipes -try and avoid all irritation to the area while it's healing.I found this area was the easiesr to heal.
    • Posted

Thank you so much Kate - really helpful advice and also encouraging too: I've learnt such a lot today and am so relieved that I posted and grateful to you for responding. Every best wish.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.