Anal fissures and problems and general problems

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi there, This is my first post.  I wish I'd found this forum a long time ago!  Had a (much delayed) diagnosis about 6 years ago.  I see a dermatologist yearly but having now (finally) read so much more about this problem, I think he's simply checking to make sure no danger signs for cancer rather than helping me to optimise my health.  Next time, I'm going with a list of questions!  But I also have a history of anal fissures and anal itching - and for the first time, I'm realising that this could also be LS.  Does anyone else have this problem and how do you best manage it?  I've begun to use the steriod ointment there as well but I'm worried about it being 'too much.'   I will discuss this with the doctor but I'd be interested to learn of other people's experiences with anal problems caused by LS.  Best wishes, Jo

2 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You do need to use the ointment at the back too. The fissure is more likely related to straining than LS. The LS ointment only goes on LS. Annual check ups seem a bit mean of them. I go two or three times a year and if I am worried I can ring and go more often. Where I go is a special clinic so I am very lucky.

We bought a bidet because I was having a shoulder operation and it has been a godsend as there is no more straining.

I hope you find better care. All the best!

• Posted

Thank you Kathleen, In a way I'm reassured to think that the fissure is less likely to be directly caused by the LS - particularly as I've had the problem for such a long time.  Thank you so much for responding.
  • Posted

I've had LS for about 25 years but wasn't diagnosed until recently. I used to get anal itching now and then which would go away for years at a time, much like my other LS symtoms. It's a bit of an ongoing thing of late with some fissures developing and I keep forgetting to ask if I should be putting the creme directly on the anus. I was worried that as it thins skin, it would make the anus more prone to fissures if it wasn't LS. Well, as the itching increased, I finally just started applying it on the anus a bit and the itching has stopped. Keeping hydrated is one of my strategies to avoid straining and the resulting fissures. 
    • Posted

I've been away for the last few days, hence the delay in replying.  I've also been worried about the same thing viz a viz where exactly to put the cream.  From all the replies I've had, I reckon (like you) i'll put it on the anus directly but not onto the fissures and am taking all the advice I can get about how to avoid straining eg great hydration.  But as you'll know, when you have a very bad fissure, it's more painful to go slowly than it is to strain and get the pain over with!  Ouch!  Too much information!  Every best wish, Jo
    • Posted

I talked to my doctor earlier this week and she said do not apply the steroids directly to the anus, but get close to it. 
    • Posted

The problem is Elle, that  the docs dont always know, often they are guessing, which is why everyone has to try for themselves, and see what works. 
    • Posted

Correct. I'm simply passing on what I was told as I'd said above I kept meaning to ask my doctor. I should note that I was putting a small bit of Mometesone on my anus and not Clobetasol. I think that if I find myself in that position again I will probably do that again. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.