Antibiotics and LS

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have read more than once that LS clears up temporarily after a round of antibiotics. I know we don't want to be on antibiotics all the time but is there any benefit in being on a natural antibiotic such as garlic all the time? Would it prevent flareups? I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. I just think there must be a clue as to why antibiotics have that effect.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I completed a round of prednezone due too a knee injury and noticed that I have not itched since. Wondering if there is a connection 
    • Posted

Laini, prednisone is a steroid. My mother depended on it for 35 years for rheumatoid arthritis. I imagine if she ever had LS, the drugs have kept it in check, just incidentally. But it would be overkill for LS alone and not worth the long term side effects. It kept her from being totally disabled, but there were many side effects.
    • Posted

As Morrell says prednisolone is a steroid which is given for acute inflammatory conditions that are not normally  infected (as the anti inflammatory actiion will inhibit the natural bug fighting capacity of the body). The long term effect of oral and injectable  can cause the  thinning of the bones, so not a Good Thing for everyday continual use. It is easy to have too much and  it MUST not be stopped suddenly, one HAS to be weaned off as it can cause shock and possibly death.

While clobetasol is a VERY potent steroid, because of our condition not enough is absorbed systemically into our bodies to pose such risks

Antibiotics too are unnecessary to use in the long term if there is no infection. It is a big problem internationally that overuse of them is causing the human race to become resisitant to the normal antibiotic chemicals currently in use The bugs- bacteria-  are adapting too and getting more dangerous. Overuse of antibiotics by "the worried well" could, in the near future result in deaths from simple scratches and  chest infections as  they did up until the middle of the 20th century.

There are side effects from antibiotics too - mainly in the gut where the "Good" bacteria are killed off and yeasts and other "bad" bugs  thrive. To countact some of these affects it is said eating natural live yoghurt will help. You may have heard of C.Dif a deadly form of diarrhoea caused by overuse of antibiotics in the elderly.

so over all Not a Good Idea

Sue

• Posted

Apparently it IS possible to be put on a low permanent maintenance dose of antibiotics - not sure what I think to that!
  • Posted

Happened to me - with the anti biotics the LS stopped.  It was at a time that nothing seemed to stop the raging of my LS.  Fusing all in short period of time.  Having difficulties passing urine.  It was then that my doctor prescribed anti biotics, afraid for a bladder infection.  It stopped only temporarily.  An unexpected side affect. 

To be on anti biotics all the time is not a good idea.  It kills also good bacteria.  How can you restore that while on anti biotics all the time? 

• Posted

I agree that's not a good idea. Do you think any natural antibiotics would have same effect?

There's a doc from Germany that works out of Ottawa, ontario. She tests for strains of bacteria and treats accordingly. Any possibility that LS can originate with a bacteria strain that responds to the antibiotics? And that if it was addressed the LS would be cured. Wishful thinking....

• Posted

I believe she uses homeopathic treatment
    • Posted

There is a lot of unknown.  Said that, there are doctors who seem to have knowledge different from the norm.  Perhaps there is someone among them who knows more about how to cure skin diseases.  Worth investigating. 
    • Posted

Hard to say.  I had the dilation procedure soon after.  Then I started with the baking soda and coconut oil, plus the diet and from there the LS fusions and white layers ever so gradually did their process in reverse.  And still continuing.  (there was a lot of 'reversing' to do) 

Sad part is - why did it have to be detected so late?  If this would have been treated years earlier I probably would have been totally symptom free by now.  

O well, I'm on my way and will continue to do what I'm doing.

• Posted

That really is very sad. I'm so glad you are finding answers but it sounds as tho you suffered terribly. Were you already diagnosed at that point and on steroids or was that when you got diagnosed?
    • Posted

It has crossed my mind, but I'm pretty sure habitual use of antibiotic cream would not be good.
  • Posted

I recently was on an antibiotic...very strong and it did nothing for my LS...also, topical did not help me.  If you want to try something natural consider olive leaf extract. Be certain you purchase it from a reputable source. Here is a good explanation that I found online that will explain it's benefits better than I can.

One of the primary compounds in olive leaf, a substance called oleuropein, has attracted scientific attention since the early 1900s. An iridoid by definition, oleuropein exhibits antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal activity, and is useful for fighting various types of internal infections. Oleuropein also appears to increase the body’s production of thermogenin, a substance that helps us to burn fat more efficiently.

In early studies, oleuropein demonstrated blood pressure-lowering properties. Studies conducted in Milan have shown that this compound is a potent antioxidant, inhibiting the oxidation of lipids in the blood, and lowering the risk of cardiovascular disease. In fact, the antioxidant activity of olive leaf is higher than that of green tea. A significant body of science shows that antioxidant compounds derived from plants provide profound health benefits, and help to reduce the risk of many chronic and degenerative diseases.

Olive leaf is an especially good source of the anti-cancer compounds apigenin and luteolin, and is a source of the anti-malarial agent cinchonine. And oleuropein has also shown protective capabilities against breast cancer.

Olive leaf extract also acts as an anti-inflammatory. Like oxidation, inflammation is a key factor in chronic and degenerative diseases. Animal studies additionally suggest that olive leaf extract may protect against nerve damage, and may be of value in cases of stroke.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.