Anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

I just wonder how others cope with this.  I have suffered from anxiety for as long as I can remember.  Years ago I was prescribed Clomipramine which was absolutely marvellous for me but then the manufacturers had distribution problems and I was no longer able to get it.  So far I have tried Sertraline, Peroxatine and Amitriptyline, none of these seem to help with my anxiety issues.  Unbelievably years ago when you were prescribed antidepressants you were also given diazepam to help cope with the anxiety 'spikes' which always happen at first.  Now you are just left to climb up the wall.  I am still considering Mirtazapine as it is a type I haven't yet tried i.e.a Tetracyclic, has anyone who has taken this drug had any gastrointestinal problems?  Constipation/diarrhoea.  But again I am worried about the anxiety issues which I know will happen at first.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I'm on matazapine now and I must say it has not helped at all with my aniexty in fact I feel worse tbh. I just had a complete mental breakdown on it. But others will tell you it's a miracle drug at first it did work I felt great but I think it pooped out on me which it has been known to do with some. Basically all you can do it give it a try tbh hun. But wd from this drug has to be done very very very slowly as it can be unpleasant. It dose help you sleep which is good in fact without I can't now and it did stop my depression very quickly. Best advice I can give is try it but if you notice your starting to get worse come off it as soon as. I have left it for 3 months knowing it wasn't working hence why I think I got in abit of a state. X
  • Posted

BTW it caused no increase in aniexty when I started it at all plus your gp can prescribed diazpam there handing them out to me like skittles at the moment during this hightened patch. I'm on beta blockers aswell they are good stop the physical syptoms but not mental but with the physical syptoms gone it's easier to distract yourself from the mental ones like cleaning or I've found playing the kids silly games on there tablet very helpful to distract me x
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply Lauren, my GP won't willingly give me Diazepam, I have to endure a lecture first on how addictive these can be then if I'm lucky I get 14 x 2mg ones.  The one reason I was really interested in Mirtazapine is actually becuse apparently it doesn't cause this 'ringing in the ears'  which I have at the momemt with Amitriptyline.

I actually feel like there is nothing more out there for me to try now!!

• Posted

You could try a combo mirtazapine is a brilliant drug to have along side another my gp is un willing to do this for me as I got serotonin syndrome in the past off sertraline and anti sickness. I found sertraline really helped with my aniexty once I got over the start up increase but we are all different aren't we. Mirt was good when it worked for me but it's done the famous poop out on me and now I'm addicted to it and wd is very unpleasant x
    • Posted

Can't take an SSRI  they keep me on the loo all day!!  I am honestly beginning to think that living with depression might be easier in the long run!!
  • Posted

I have been on 45mgms for the last couple of months but it didn't help me a lot. I perhaps did feel less anxious but I found I got almost high trying to keep up with what I wanted to do and totally exhausted as well. However my psychiatrist has added Venlafaxine, currently on 75mgs, and due to increase to 150mgs next week. I have experienced my first feeling of normality for almost 6 months. I know everyone is different but I am encouraged so don't give up hoping. I am in my 70s and had not suffered from depression for 50 years and all medicine for treating depression is now so different. I hope you find something that works for you. One of my main problems is insomnia and I haven't found anything which really helps that much.Maggie
    • Posted

Mirt is usually good for sleep, but only at low doses.   I suggest you try reducing the mirt at some time.  
    • Posted

Thanks, I probably will do that, waiting to see how the nexty level up on Venlaxafine goes.  Amazed at how much better I feel on it already.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.