Anxiety prior to going to bed.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

I just wondered if anyone had anxiety, fear of going to bed , falling asleep and what the possible causes of this may be and also how the individual coped with this?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I'm sorry but there's no quick answer to this.

Can you describe your symptoms in more depth?

Depends if you genuinely have a fear of going to bed and no other medical condition. If you have a fear of sleep then there can be numerous causes but you need to speak to a doctor who can establish the best way to move forward. You may need medication or to see a psychotherapist or a combination of both.

There are numerous reasons why people can have difficulty fallling/staying asleep. Having a fear of sleep on the other hand isn't quite so common and may need more help.

I would not recommend reading all sorts on the internet. It could be useful but equally harmful. The irony of sleep is the more one thinks or "tries" to sleep the more difficult it can be.

I hope you manage to get sleep soon.

• Posted

Hi Paul

It started three years ago when I was put on co codamol for a dislocated shoulder. This caused severe headaches, pain in my eye, sweting at night, anirexia, anxiety, depression such as never experienced before. Complete disconnec5tion with the world. Demotivated.

This continued for five months when I saw a neurologist who said that the codeine was responsible because it suppresses the endorphins in the brain , endorphins are the body's natural anti depressants and pain killers.

On top of that I have epilepsy . This scares me.

I am also scared of having bad dreams or unusual dreams. 

• Posted

Okay so there's quite a lot going on. I had a bad reaction with codeine and stopped it immediately. I think a psychotherapist would help, especially with CBT and mindfulness.

• Posted

How did the codeine affect you? Did you take it for long?
    • Posted

I took it for 2 days but it gave me sleep apnoea. The first night not so bad but second night every time I was falling asleep I would be jolted awake with panic gasping for air. But I was taking it with mirtazapine. Doc said that was fine and said I could take 2 codeine at a time with it- definetly not!
    • Posted

Apologies if you already know this.

CBT is about externalising your fears about sleep. Writing them down then analysing them. Not just from your own perspective but also a complete strangers. Are your thoughts rational? Are they a worst case scenario? What if the worst actually happens? It's about have more realistic thoughts and addressing worries and concerns realistically.

The other thing I would suggest is an app called Calm. I use it daily for meditation. With meditation you basically control your breathing . Biologically when you exhale it calms and slows down your body automatically. So if you inhale for 4, hold for 4 and exhale for 8 several times it will calm you down. It's not guaranteed if you're highly stressed but if you're under normal anxiety it's good. The app also has sleep stories which help you drift off. These aren't kids stories but stories designed to help you sleep in terms of their content and how they're read. Some people also use ASMR which you can look into on You Tube.

Please don't take this the wrong way but if you let the fear have power over you it will control you. You need to accept and challenge your fears which is what CBT involves. It's not easy but that's how you will sleep (one way anyway)

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

As you probably know codeine is an opiste. I was put on it but took it very cautiously because I found the same inasmuch as one tablet caused my chest to feel heavy. This was scary.

I was prescribed it as follows two up to four times a day.

I never took that much as I was scared.

Apparently this drug is only supposed to be prescribed for three days as it is a drug of addiction!

Fortunately I was never keen to take it but nevertheless suffered despite taking three or four tablets a WEEK. Yes thats right a week.

I think that you made the right decision regarding taking it for only two days.

I do not know anything about mirtazapine but guess it is an antidepressant. Codeine as do the opiates suppress the production of endorphins and dopamine and cause depression, anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia , dependency.  Need I say more. If you google codeine and withdrawal symptoms then you will also see lots of deto centres being set up all over the place in order to wean people off it. It is an education and has been a massive learning curve for me. I will never ever take any codeine or any other opiate again. Sorry for the rant.

• Posted

Hi Paul

No need to apologise . I am veryy grateful for the the valuable information you have provided.

I will look into getting some cbt privately as the NHS will probably refuse or alternatively I will have to wait months and months.

Many thanks

• Posted

delirious

We fall asleep because we need to, if not the fact of no sleep would leave us very ill as the body at night repairs the damage done to our bodies during the day.

Can you imagine no sleep, just burning out with no peace to calm our thoughts and give the brain a chance to relax and renew itself

Please do not worry, all is just nature

BOB

• Posted

This is terrible ive had the fear of bed and not going to sleep for 40 years its a very dark emotion and crippling at one point i ran on pure fear adrenaline and didnt sleep for weeks which led to a breakdown.

for some crazy feeling ive sortof given up the fight tho i cant go away and i just take zopiclone and mirtazapine if i wake up i take another zop i dont care as much anymore.

i say this mantra " each and everyday i feel calm and relaxed fear has left me" i said it for months and i think that 75% fixed me i still say it so i should get to 100% it eventually changes the subconcious mind. 

• Posted

cut out sugar choclates and crap food and dont drink caffiene late at night.I used to suffer terrible with anxiety i was afraid of everything,  beeen lone. driving , been in crowds, afraid to eat while alone , every possible thing i was afraid of.  and i would lye in bed at night with my ears cocked like a dog , i heard every noise, i actually tjought i was going mad or was losing my mind or something

but i gave up eating choclates and sugar foods,  and omg i couldnt believe the diffrence in my stress levels the dropped so much. and now i go to bed fall asleep within minutes and sleep soundly all night and wake up refreshed. i have my life back again thank god, and now i couldnt care less if i never eat choclates etc, but befire i lived on it,,

• Posted

Thanks Michelle

I will try this. I have just had a panic attack. I am really cheesed off with all of this.

• Posted

The will go to when you cut out the sugar. You won't believe the difference .

• Posted

Thanks Michelle

I have been eating a lot of chocolate so will stop now. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.