Anyone else with unexplained/stress induced hyperthyroid

Posted , 4 users are following.

After both my GP and endocrinologist told me I had Graves disease, I pushed for some antibody tests because I wasn't happy just having it assumed that was what it was. Apparently I tested negative for Graves and another auto immune condition. Hashimoto's? I have had a very stressful time emotionally over the past few years. I have to stay on 5 mg of carbimazole for 18 months now that my levels are within normal range. Has anyone else had this 'unexplained' diagnosis? And what was the outcome? Thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My Graves disease was also triggered by a number of important and successive  stresses in my life. Many autoimmune conditions are stress related, in that the immune system is lowered At thsoe times,  thus paving the way to the onset of diseases.

however the Medical  world seems rather cautious in determing how much stress weighs in triggering the body s pathological  response, simply because it cannot be ascertained. You know  the " scientific " approach..

have been on 5 mg Carbimazole for 4 years now, with occasional anxiety peaks . Knowing " where they come from " I take it as part of the disease, and try and cope with them the best I can.

tried weanign myself off Carbimazole but felt extremely weak and sluggish , as my TSH values were totally out of order. So back to Carbimazole as RAI is not an option for me.

relaxation through Music and Nature seems to work well at bringin some help at those times. I hope this can be hépful advice for you too.

• Posted

My hyperthyroidism(elevated free T3) was subclinical as per my physican. My physicain told me to go repeat the labs and this time the results were within normal range. I am also under a tremendous amount of stress due to various illnesses and family problems.
  • Posted

Thanks everyone. I am pleased I don't have Graves, and had been feeling a lot better lately. However, the slightest bit of discord within the family (which unfortunately occurs quite often) turns me into a shaking wreck. Last night I was feeling great, and then an argument started and I am feeling physically dreadful again today.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.