Anyone get panicky with vertigo

Posted , 9 users are following.

Does anyone else completely panick when they get vertigo? every single time I freak out and wonder what's happening to me even though deep down I know. Maybe because it's such an odd sensation or that I don't have a proper diagnosis. It makes it 10 times worse, I wish I would stop doing this! Just had it again on top of a chest and sinus infection.

0 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes we all do I think, specially at the beginning.  it is always worse when you have a cold, and a sinus infection.  I help my sinuses by taking sea salt solution up my nose.  aLso you can buy chemist saline sprays which you muse daily in the winter especially.  If you can get a handle on your congestion it will bring your dizzy symptoms down a lot. 
  • Posted

Hi,I know the feeling,I've been dizzy for over 3 months and it makes me so scared and i panic,I don't know if it's the sensation or illness that's making it happen but I don't like been in my own as my eyes go weird with my dizziness that makes me even worse,how long have you had vertigo? Can you work?I'm off sick as to dizzy to work,I find my daily chores too much,take care Lisa x
    • Posted

It all started with a horrible bout of it two years ago on my honeymoon then went away for a year. It came back but I have only had four big bouts of it where I cant get off the floor and am horrendously sick if I move my head an inch. The rest of the time it is more dizziness and mild spinning off and on. I take a few days off when it's been bad then back to work and looking after the kids. I think it actually helps having them making me carry on (3y.o and 1y.o)! I hope yours gets better soon x
    • Posted

I am guessing you got tested for Meniere's disease?
    • Posted

Thank you,I hope you get better soon too,your right as I have 3yr and 13 yr old girls and they keep me going,I've been off work 3 months as too dizzy but just cope with raising the girls and household chores,I felt better for two weeks and was going to get back to work then last Friday started getting bad again and now I'm really bad,does your partner understand?my bf sort of does but unless you have had some dizziness its hard to understand, I just have his mum asking when I'm going back to work all the time lol take care, lisa
    • Posted

Sort of, they checked my hearing but said it's more of a wait and see thing. My great aunt had menieres so it is in the family x
    • Posted

Ah the meanie. I would take as much time as you need, I don't think others really understand the feeling and impact of it and two kids is enough to cope with! My partner isn't as understanding when I get it mildly off and on but is great when I'm floored by it. Just a shame he isn't so good at keeping up with the chores! X
  • Posted

Not sure if my message was sent , yes at the moment the anxiety I feel at the moment with this vertigo is terrible , but the problem is the doctors seem to think that it causeing the vertigo , but it's the other way round , I was fine till this started 12 th October , my eyes feel so weird all the time , have had to have lenses changed now twice , I am seeing a ent consultant Tuesday , now worried he will sweep it under the table ,I dont think I'm getting across to anyone how ill this making me feel , I cant go out on my own , and cant work and I love my job , also have 2 lovely granddaughters but cant look after them , and I certainly cant drive at the moment , and then they wonder why I'm anxious , I'm so frustrated with it all , 
    • Posted

I feel the same as you the dizzies is causing the anxiety, my Dr not taking me seriously says its all anxiety but this isn't my normal anxiety and this comes on and stays and I don't seem to have a trigger its the head crap causing the anxiety
  • Posted

At the moment I'm trying to do some house hold chores , but just end up on the floor , as I end up dizzy and swimmy , even when I'm sat down I feel like I'm moving , nothing i take helps at all 
  • Posted

Hi!

It is frightening isn't it?!!! Do you get the feeling you are going to pass out? I started having vertigo attacks out of the blue back in September, still have no firm reason why as only had mri which showed inflammation of the left sinus.

What are your symptoms? Along with the spinning vertigo, nausea, & body shakes I've had pressure in the ears, sinus congestion & pain, sensitive ears, eyes feel like everything is too bright among other symptoms that come and go.

Are you on any medication? I am on 6x 8mg betahistine a day & these seem to have stopped the bad dizzy spells. Been suffering with my shoulders and neck last few days and have had a few brain shifts & eye problems.

I'll just give a few tips that have helped me if you're having the same symptoms as me.

When you feel the vertigo attack starting, try & lay down as flat as possible, close your eyes & practise deep breathing. Sometimes I have found a support under the neck has helped. A cold cloth on the forehead has helped too. Rescue remedy can help to calm anxiety too.

If you're suffering with pressure & congestion in the ears, try drinking through a straw. I can tell the difference in my ears when I don't use a straw.

Steam inhalation with menthol & keep gently blowing your nose whilst doing it & a humidifier seems to do the trick to.

If you're suffering with nausea, I got prochlorperazine from the doctors, took one when sickness started & definitely helped. These can help with dizziness too. If not, try stugeron travel sickness tablets.

Sorry for the essay!

Fingers crossed we'll all feel better soon!

• Posted

Yes absolutely- as if I am about to pass out. After my last big bout before this one I was left dizzy for months and I always remember it made me feel like I was borderline fainting all the time.

It's always my ears that play up first, I usually loose hearing in one ear for a day or two first and then vertigo, nauseous and ear still plays up a bit. Quite often I get bad sinuses after a cold so in pretty sure that's usually the cause. The doctors think it could be menieres though. I'm not a fan of the sprays as they never seem to help but steam and menthol crystals are good. Thanks for the other advice too. I usually end up lying down, eyes shut and pinching the bridge on my nose (don't know why!). I have the same meds as you and it's actually working very well for me and helps loads with the dizziness smile have you had many vertigo spells since September? Hopefully it's something that becomes less frequent for us! Xx

• Posted

That's good the meds are helping! It's interesting to see how others get through an attack, try anything. It's a shame that these symptoms are attached to so many conditions, makes it so difficult.

Since being on the full dosage of meds (touch wood) I haven't had any vertigo spells since I think end of October now. I've had a few brain shifts this past week or so as my neck & shoulders have been really bugging me.

I noticed when I was having the bad attacks, if I tried to wash my hair & massage behind scalp behind my ears & towards the middle I would go dizzy. These same areas since I've had the neck problems are really sore to touch but have tried massaging or putting heat pads on to soothe the area, & weirdly my nose starts to click like crazy then my sinuses & my ear to clear completely. An amazing feeling!! It doesn't last that long but maybe worth a try if you feel you can manage it.

I'm beginning to wonder if mine is all neck related as was suffering with neck tension when all this started

• Posted

Hi , I noticed you mentioned brain shifts ,is that like a feeling something is moving in side your head , but you dont spin , I find it so hard to explain , but I get a feeling of movement inside my head , they say I got bppv , but its constant , feel strange all the time , 
    • Posted

Hi Gilly

It feels similar to that, kind of like my brain feels like it moves sideways as if it is starting to go into a spin but doesn't, makes me jolt when I feel it.

Was you given exercises for bppv? Was given Brandt daroff, These started to make me feel worse but doctor wants me to carry on as she's still convinced I may have crystals that need to be broken up. Not doing them though, can't see the point of doing something that makes you feel rough when supposed to make you better.

• Posted

It sounds very much the same , it makes me feel like I'm about to spin , they still want me to do those excersises , but like make me feel so much worse , 
    • Posted

Gilly, IC, and Sarah... I think I know what this is. The audiologist at the ENT office I went to in July said that sensation is your brain compensating for when you "used" to spin, but aren't spinning anymore. It should go away if the crystals that are causing the BPPV are back in place and your brain doesn't have to compensate anymore. I had BPPV in both ears though, so sometimes I get the spinning when I lay down on one side, and the "brain shift" when I lay down on the other side (the ear that doesn't have the problem anymore). It's a wild ride all right! I am going to a new ENT in 2 weeks. I have had the appt for 4 months, but he is supposed to be good. No one can figure out why I still have the crystals out of place in that one ear. 

Good luck everyone.

• Posted

Hi Dee.

That's interesting. How long have you had bppv? Not sure if this is what I have, doctor said this when first started then when saw her yesterday she mentioned labyrinthitis, she seems to have a different reason for it each time I see her. Need to push for ent I think. Been over 3 months since started full blown attacks, 6 months since I got the first attack.

• Posted

13 months and counting. It's a tricky thing and I think doctors figure out what you have by what DOESn't work! Epley maneuvers should take care of BPPV, If vestibular rehab exercises don't work, it's something else; if all else fails, it's vestibular neuritis! I think labyrinthitis is just crystals in another part of the inner ear. I think. Yes, you need an ENT dr. or even a neurologist if the nerve is affected. Do you have verigo whenever you move your head, or is it gone some days? Mine is there everyday (one side). The other side seems to be fixed with the last Epley.
    • Posted

Oh, how annoying for you! Thought 4 months was bad enough!!!!

I haven't had any bad vertigo for couple of months just brain shifts, sometimes when lay on my left side & sometimes only have to turn my head slightly to the left & I feel a shift. Can bend over & hang my head upside down no problem lol, but if I tilt my head down towards my chest go spinny same if I look up. That's what has made me wonder if it is my neck instead, my job involves alot of looking down & neck straining things & head is always a bit more off when shoulders and neck are stiff & achy.

• Posted

Could be your neck, especially if C-1 to C-5 vertebrae nerves are pinched or injured... Not sure about the numbers, but neck vertebrae, anyway. Sounds like you are getting over it, so that's good. The shifts you talk about are supposedly your brain trying to fix what you used to have (the vertigo). I'd still check it out with an Ear-Nose-Throat doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.