Anyone get panicky with vertigo

Posted , 9 users are following.

Does anyone else completely panick when they get vertigo? every single time I freak out and wonder what's happening to me even though deep down I know. Maybe because it's such an odd sensation or that I don't have a proper diagnosis. It makes it 10 times worse, I wish I would stop doing this! Just had it again on top of a chest and sinus infection.

0 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes, because it feels like someone is pulling the rug out from under you... only lasts for a few seconds, until the nystagnus slows down.
    • Posted

For me, I mean! Others have it much worse. In that respect, I am lucky. It's the off-balance thing that makes me want to stay in bed!
    • Posted

I'm of balance all the time at moment , dread getting out of bed , even in bed I feel like I'm moving , it's getting me down 
    • Posted

I,had that in the beginning.  If you can try and sleep more elevated.  aLso if your head feels like. It's pressured, and/or expanding, get yourself one of those blue gel,packs,(They are on line), mine is an oblong shape, stick it in the freezer, and wrap,in a scarf when it's cold enough,,and wrap,that around your neck, up high if possible so it's in contact with your locker back skull area. Don't ask me by but this gives me some relief 
    • Posted

Hi Gilly,I understand what your going through I've felt like that most of 3 months,taking a pill called stemital, helps a little to get me through the day.I'm only 33 but feel like I'm old,its my 2 daughters that keep me going but most days I'm in tears and get so down,have you got anyone to help you?Lisa x
    • Posted

Yes , I'm married , but this had made  me give up so much at the moment , just cant work with , though I have tried , although I need to drive to work , also look after my beautiful granddaughters but cant unless my husband is here , I also do a afternoon in a charity shop , which cant do , we love going out for meals etc , but all stoped , I work in a restaurant with a B and B which is what I do , early starts for breakfast etc , , then there's the bookings , which all go out of focus , so of work at the moment , , its a busy place , so you cant take it slow there 
    • Posted

It nice to talk to someone that understands 
    • Posted

I feel so sorry for you,I'm going through the same,working at a care home makes me so happy but I can't do it with dizziness, I don't drive but walking down straight roads to work for ten minutes makes me so dizzy,I'm just managing the house work at home and cooking light meals but mainly my mum cooks for us luckily but she's not well herself I need to look after her.Lisa x

• Posted

I have the perfect description of what it feels like to me. Does anyone else have this sensation? I'm fine if I am sitting or laying down. When I'm walking, I feel like I'm top-heavy and my head leads my feet where it wants them to go! And I always have the sensation that I'm walking on a trampoline and have to hold onto something like the wall or furniture to help steady myself. No wonder I am exhausted by the end of the day and can't concentrate! My brain is constantly trying to figure out what direction I'm trying to go!neutral
    • Posted

I know what you mean Dee. in the beginning I felt a lot like that when I am out walking around. nOw it's not so acute, but I am still aware of it. I think my  my brain has rewired  itself 
    • Posted

Sorry page froze again! But the 'rewiring isn't necessarily a good thing because I still have vertigo.  and yes we get exhausted because our bodies are constantly, every minute of the day, even when sitting down, keeping us vertical.  the only thing I have found to,help that part a bit is to up my supplements, plan my 'business' schedule so,I rest the day before and day after a busy day etc.
    • Posted

That's what's supposed to happen - it MAY still work for me, I hope so. How long did it take you? I am walking and doing at-home vrt. Did you have diminished results in the calorics test?
    • Posted

Well I am having to,typi my reply yet again MODERATORS,, because the thing asking us to do a survey kept flashing too ,close to this box and I accidentally touched it, so,it wiped everything I had typed. Thanks a lot!!!
    • Posted

Right Dee here goes again. It is my 5thnyear wth this and I suppose the last year my brain has reworded itself. But having said thatbis did my weekend cleaning stuff and felt Rubbish last night and this morning.  all that 'bobbing about' really screws me up. I can't remember my results,for that caloric thing as it was a long Time ago but most of my results didn't show much by way of  a diagnosis even though the last consultant said  that it didn't mean there wasn't something wrong due the vestibular system  being so complex.  In other words, they don't know!!
    • Posted

Gee. 5 years. I can't imagine that. Well, at least that explains being tired all the time. I feel safer in bed, and feel like I'm walking on stepping stones to get my footing stable so I won't fall. Cannot walk in the dark. And I've noticed I am shaking after a walk. This is the craziest condition that I've ever heard of! I sure hope someone can diagnose this soon. I recently read an article that people with diabetes can experience this, they think due to the vestibular nerve being affected. I guess it can be reversible. But when ever the neurologists can't figure it out... you wonder if anyone really knows what causes it. All I know is that my VRT exercises aren't helping one bit. Thank you for your feedback though.  I won't put the link here, but if you google the words   diabetes vestibular journal  , it will be the first article ("Full Text - Clinical Diabetes" article by Pippin). One more MRI and a call to my neurologist and I think I'm done with this. Will just have to learn to live with it I think.
    • Posted

Sorry, my mistake. The article about diabetes can be found by googleing    Dizziness and Loss of Balance in Individuals With Diabetes    one of the authors is Walley and another one is Pippen. That should limit it down!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.