Anyone had dermoid removed from ovary?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi, I have a 5cm dermoid cyst on my ovary and I'm 47. I've had one doc say that I could leave it and watch it but that it may continue to grow indefinitely and still eventually need to come out. One doc said sometimes they get smaller after menopause. Then I've had several others say I should get it out now before it gets bigger because it could also take over more of the ovary and be harder to remove or cause other issues like torsion or turn into something bad tho it looks benign now and honestly doesn't physically bother me that I can tell. I have more symptoms from peri and my giant fibroid.

QUESTION: I'm confused about the surgery, if anyone's had it. I had one surgeon say she could leave behind part of the dermoid to save my ovary. Another said no, he'd need to peel away the whole dermoid so some of my ovary cells would come with it (like peeling an orange out of it's skin) but that the bulk of my ovary would stay behind and recover, but that I would have more hormonal issues at first post surgery (I'm already in peri). For you ladies who have had dermoid surgery and kept your ovaries, which was the case? Did they take the whole cyst and peel back/shave off a small portion of your ovary? Or did they just take part of the cyst and leave your entire ovary, no peeling? And did your ovary recover in either case?

Thanks!!!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.