Anyone In Their 20s Who Has Underactive Bladder

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I have an underactive bladder, and I'm looking at a possible CIC soon. How are you dealing with yours?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You've probably already tried this, but what about drinking caffeine ( coffee, tea) to see if it stimulates your bladder. there are also some supplements which contain caffeine that you could try.

I'm assuming since you have an underactive bladder you don't have a problem going to the bathroom, such as weak stream or restricted flow, you just don't go often?

• Posted

I certainly do have problem going to the bathroom. I can't feel my bladder until it is holding like 300ml of urine. It takes anywhere from 1 minute to 5 minute to start a stream, even with a full bladder sometimes.

I drink milk tea every day. It did stimulate the bladder for a while. But, not anymore.

• Posted

I have similar issues except I do feel than urge to go ,on the 1st void. When it takes a long time to start a stream, after my 1st void, because I can't feel the urge any more, I gently palpitate (push on) the bladder across the pelvic bone region left to right and back. That will give me a slight urge to go. I usually end up doing that multiple times. When that doesn't work, I try pushing in on the bladder and holding until I get the urge to go. Sometimes I hold it there until I go, other times I let loose and I go just fine. Sometimes I push in on the bladder and roll my fist or tips of my fingers, back and forth until I can feel some indication that I have to go. There are some nerves down there you can manually stimulate, the nerves which stimulate me are located on the appendix side, yours may be different. To me, it feels like a a Muscle Band going across the pelvic region. it's a little over and inch wide. you can follow it all the way across that abdomen. A rolling motion across that band seems to stimulate my urge to go.

I'm not trying to downplay your situation in any way, 1 to 5 minutes I would consider great, mine's anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours. I'm having my second procedure done in September. I assume you've been checked for any blockages? I have a large median lobe which blocks the flow of urine, acting like a ball valve. The only way I've been able to handle this is through exercise, diet, losing weight. If you do have a blockage you need to stay away from anything that will inflame you such as sugar, processed foods it makes a big difference.

If manually stimulating your bladder works you might try Flomax or Alfuzosin to relax the smooth muscle in your urethra area. For me Alfuzosin had little to no retrograde ejaculation side effects.

• Edited

Have you tried Tadalafil? Also, may I ask how old you are? It seems like I'm the only young person in this section of the forum.

• Posted

Have you had a Urodynamics test done? If not, how do you know you have an underactive bladder?

I have had bad urination issues since my mid 20's, now 67. Turns out my problems then and now are a very high bladder neck.... and... now that I am getting to be an old geezer, my prostate in enlarged too, a little obstructive, but not too bad... I am torn between a green light and a TURP... leaning towards Green light...

Have you had a cystoscopy? Both tests would answer a lot of questions... IF you have poor bladder function, prostate surgery might not give you much improvement/relief...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.