Anyone on methimazole know how long it takes for hair loss to stop?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all. I started this medicine a week ago and my hair hasn't stopped shedding its getting really scary how long should it take to stop.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tina,

Just thought I’d share my experience with you regarding hairloss.

I started shredding large amounts of hair 5 months after I started tapazole (aka MM). I mean I was losing 500 hairs a day. Had all my blood work done and everything came back normal. My endo and derm both determined it was temporary. While there are reports that MM could cause hairloss, my endo said it’s rare. My hairloss was likely caused by sudden significant weight loss from being hyper, loss of vitamins and I was very low in ferritin/iron. If it’s shedding now, the assault likely took place 3-5 months ago due to hair growth phase.

Anyway, to answer your question, my hairloss slowed down after 6-9 months. Hang in there, I know it’s disheartening but if it’s not related to any other medical condition, it will stop. 

• Posted

hi Tina, I'm in a similar situation and hair is falling out like crazy and I'm seeing patches on my scalp. Can you let me know what you ended up doing for the ferritin and for the hyperthyroidism? I'm also seeing the weight loss and low ferritin and am on methimazole. thank you.

• Posted

Ok, this is interesting. Some people are hit by hair loss AFTER taking MM, then the loss slows down and stop losing goes next... Will it ever grow back eventually? Just wonder.  (my experience: start taking MM 2.5 mo ago, hair loss, thinning occurred, no slowing down, no stopping... yet!)
  • Posted

Tina,

I have been on this medicine for a year now and my hair is still falling out, you need to find a way to stay as calm as you can. That is what I keep being told but my life is so stressful, I feel like between this 3 diseases that i was so kindly given plus about 4 more things happening to my body i will be a basket case real soon. but honey talk to your doctor and find out maybe you need to have a pituitary test done and see what your levels are with that. that's the big daddy of it all your in my prayers cause i hate this I have not only hyperthyroidism, i have hypothyroidism, plus Graves Disease, and Hashimato, plus like I said some more. and it is a freakin Roller Coaster that I want off of.  

• Posted

I am so sorry, it's a lot to deal with, I've been trying to not worry about it but every time I comb my hair, was my hair it's like it's shedding from the roots. I hope everything your going through gets better, I really appreciate your comments and others on this forum they have really helped me a lot to understand this disease thank you so much for sharing your experiences with this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.