Are the side-effects worth it?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been on 30mg for over 2yrs now (started on citalopram then lofepramine but switched to mirt due to insomnia caused by the lofepramine) & whilst I've adjusted ok & the anxiety & depression are kinda under control I sometimes wonder if the side-effects are worth it.

I have gained 5st since starting on them which makes me feel more depressed. I have zero sex-drive which doesn't bother me admittedly but my not understanding partner is extremely bothered & thinks I don't love him. The dry mouth is vile especially 1st thing in the morning but the worst is the restless legs at night. As I write they are twitching & I have to keep moving them. In the end I give up & go to bed but it drives me crackers every single night!

Do I carry on or do I go back to my GP?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Try splitting top 22.5 which I do. I'm like a barrel cos of this and Pregabalin. I've had no serc drive for 20 years and my partner much the same. It helps me sleep which is the most important thing for me combined with Pregabalin and melatonin 9mg which I buy.

• Posted

Hi Cath,

I would go back to my GP or get a referral to a psychiatrist (who knows these meds best).  There a numerous meds available and you might find something more agreeable than Mirtazapine. Unfortunately the weight gain is a problem for many people, you can read up on it online. 

I am titrating down on Mirtazapine, gone from 45 mg to 7.5 - still have more to go. Wishing you well.

• Posted

Hi Karin,

Thank you for the advice - I fear I need to bite the bullet & discuss it all with my GP & hope for the best!

I'm glad the titration is going well so far...I hope it continues. Take care xx

• Posted

Don't worry about your weight gain - you will take care of it when you come out of your anxiety and depression. Explain to your partner about your sex drive - he will surely adjust to the circumstances - Dry mouth and restless legs will disappear.

Your most important prioriety is to come out the other end.

If you do see your doctor he just might put you on more medication. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.