b12 stops working

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have all the symptoms of b12 deficiency but the blood tests are normal (I didnt ask what they were). I told my doctor I felt better when I tired taking b12 and she said to keep taking it if it works.

The problem is, I took tablets for a while, felt great for a week (and really hungry) and then they stopped working. This happened twice.

Then I tried sublingual b12 liquid. This worked for a few days (I would get a hot flush an hour after taking it and then have more energy) but after a few days that stopped working too.

I'm guessing that if I wasn't b12 deficient, taking the b12 wouldn't work at all.

Does anyone know why they stop working?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Body might be metabolizing it faster then you are taking it.... Best thing would have your doctor check you levels with blood work. My stomach doesn't absorb the sublingaul and tablets like it should do to the lining of my stomach is not properly absorbing it.... If levels are to low doctor might recommend a shot for you. I known when I am do for a shot just by my symptoms now.... But also get shots 2 times a month. Something to discuss with a doctor
  • Posted

The problem is she said my levels are within normal range, when I go back I will ask what they were. Thanks for your advice.
    • Posted

Normal range is 800 to 1000....try not taking any for awhile before having blood work drawn it will throw the tea at off... This happens to me a lot because they do a draw about a week after a shot and I get noted levels at 1500... Which means my normal is 500 and 1000 is the injection I get...but 500 is low still....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.