Barium swallow?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi i've been suffering with acid reflux for about a year and for the last 4 months ive been feeling nauseous almost every time all day as well as feeling like somwthing is stuck in the throat.

Yesterday i had the barium swallow test and it all turned out good ( no leakage or blockage) but it showed that i had acid reflux.

Next week I have an appointment as to read the results properly, will I be given something to control the acid which is resulting in nausea?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Pat,

There are two elements to acid reflux - acid and reflux.

You will probably be given acid suppressant medication (eg omeprazole) to reduce the acid but it may not stop the reflux and even non-erosive reflux can cause problems - including the "something stuck in the throat" feeling ("globus").

If you go to www DownWithAcid org uk and scroll down the contents list (home page), you'll find large section devoted to reflux and the chapter on extra-oesophageal reflux will explain many symptoms (including globus).

Your doctor may also prescribe an anti-emetic like domperidone or metaclopramide which may aid peristalsis and reduce your reflux symptoms.

• Posted

Thanks for your information

During yesterdays test he also noticed that i have a very large stomach compared to others. I really dont it so Im sure i havent gorwn my stonach with food. Idk if this may be the reason which is causing acid reflux

• Posted

They also noticed that I have a small hernia in the stomach which is causing this rolleyes (im not shre if you call it hernia since my first language is not english haha)
    • Posted

A hiatus hernia, where some of the stomach has been pushed into the chest through the hiatus hole in the diaphragm, prevents the co-ordination of the crural and diaphragmatic muscles that work together to close the lower oesophageal sphincter. It means reflux is exacerbated. It is th emost common reason for reflux.
    • Posted

How is this cause and can it be treated pls?
    • Posted

There are many reasons for hiatus hernia. It's even possible to be born with it. The most common cause, however, is being over weight when abdominal fat will push upwards on the stomach. Pregnancy is another common cause for a similar reason.

There are two types: sliding and rolling. The sliding type is the most common.

Hiatus hernia is a very common condition and most people manage to live with it - and most don't even know they have it.

There are various bretahing techniques, stomach exercises and even manipulation by a chiropracter that some have said works. (Search for Hiatal Hernia on YouTube.) Those techniques attempt to push the stomach back into place but if it slides that easily, it can slide back again. The only real answer is surgery but most surgeons won't do it unless it is causing other problems.

Reflux reduction surgeru (fundoplication) always includes hiatus herna repair.

• Posted

Thanks for your information. Im 18 years old and weight 43-45kgs which im sure is not overweight but more than underweight and ive always been like this.

I still have an appointment tomorrow with my gaestrologist to give me the final results of the barium swallow test and maybe tell me what to do since one of the symptoms i feel is neausous all the time all day long.

• Posted

Do you think it's related to perimenopause?  
    • Posted

It's leading up to menopause when your hormones are erratic. I developed horrible Acid Reflux due to a hormonal change.  I'm still trying to get a hold of it.  I'm 49 and had symptons come on all of a sudden with night sweats, not being able to sleep, mood changes, heavy bleeding and then acid reflux.  I've been going through a lot lately.
    • Posted

Im sure its not that as im still 19 years old.
  • Posted

Hello patjj1234 Im suffering with acid reflux for 3 months. After using omeprazole (very bad experience) and been told to taking for the rest of my life. I stop the medicine and went to Naturopathic Dr. She run some test and find out that I have SIBO (bacteria on the small intestine) she explain that SIBO its the cause of my acid reflux. I was feeling the like something stuck on my throat after 3 weeks on omeprazole and nausea too. I stop the medication and after one month its getting a lot better almost gone.

Did you know if you have h pylori or bacteria? My naturophatic dr gave my supplements to help me to stop omeprazole and do the test. I didnt star the treatment for sibo yet but i have hope that i can recover and have my life back.

• Posted

How does SIBO cause reflux?

Read about Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth in the Combinations and Complications section of the Down With Acid book.

It is a possible consequence of long time, high dose PPI use inducing hypochlorhydria which recues the body's bacterial defences.

From a meta analyisis published in Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology in May 2013, "Proton pump inhibitor use and the risk of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth", the following observation was made, "Use of proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) could predispose individuals to small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) by altering the intraluminal environment and bacterial flora. There is controversy regarding the risk of SIBO among PPI users because of conflicting results from prior studies."

• Posted

Sorry that should be "reduces" the body's bacterial defences!
    • Posted

No i dont know if i have bacteria as i did not do the endoscopy yet rolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.