Beginning my journey...

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello Everyone,

I am right at the beginning of the journey into have my right hip replaced.  Last xray, taken two years ago, showed moderate to severe arthritis.  Needless to say, although I have been doing the exercises that the phsyio gave me, my condition has worsened.  Scheduled for third set of exrays at the end of November.  

I have a few concerns that maybe the forum can help me with.  For the life of me, I cannot sleep on my back.  I always start the night, on my left side (left handed) and do use diazepam as a sleep aid.  Used to take Temazapam, and I am thinking of asking my GP to put me back on it for the first six weeks, or so, post op, if the hospital insists that I sleep on my back.  Additionally, I am aware that I move around a lot in my sleep  Will they want to restrain me....!!!?  Otherwise, I will never sleep, and that does not help recovery - does it...?  I hoping to go to one of Circle hospitals.  Does anyone know anything bout them?  I have been told that they are the best option for this type of surgery.  

I have done a fair amount of research, but have found that each site give varying ibnformation.  I have spoken to Circle, and they say you are in hospital for three nights, and admitted the night before surgery.

I am a former smoker, still working on it, and using the E cigarettes, but mostly in the morning.  I am 74 years and have smoked for about 50 years, although not every day.  Stopped smoking tobacco about three months ago, although there has been the occasional lapse.  I am worried about the chest xray.  I have read that in some cases a spinal block or epidural is used, rather than a General Anaesthesia.  Think this is mostly a technique for patients with cardiac problems, although, there are hospitals, I am told that use spinal block or epidural and not Gen An.

I live alone, and am quite fit for my age, look about 20 years younger, I am told!  The arthritis, of course, has put a stop to any proper exercise, so, no cardio vascular exercise for quite a while now, unfortunately.  

Reading through some of the forums, I have found that recovery rates vary enormously, and some people are still immobile after six weeks post op, which is alarming.

I live alone in a ground floor flat,and am wondering how people living alone manage post op.  In addition, I have a cat.  We are told not do certain things like bending down, etc.   How on earth do I feed Tallulah?  It's these silly little practical things that make life difficult, so wonder what other people's managing techniques are?  I know you can buy grabbers, etc.

Think the above is enough for now.  Any and all feedback and info would be most helpful.

2 likes, 67 replies

67 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Firstly the cat, before the op work out a  method of raising her food bowl. Work top, window sill, small table?? And keep to that. Keep her food at waist height as you will be doing all of yours.

secondly sleeping on your back. Unpleasant for most of us, one thing is sure you will not be very mobile in bed initially so will not be tossing and turning. 

Anaesthetic, spinal and sedation is the way a lot of surgeons/ hospitals do go. Talk to them beforehand

equipment, raised loo seat etc usually available on loan, mine was free of charge

my circle hospital has a good reputation, I went to local HHS trust

regaining mobility afterwards varies tremendously from person to person, however it is surprising what can be done on crutches. Usually progress to one crutch inside, then outside, then firniture hopping inside, then a few steps etc. 

• Posted

Hi Maggie:

Many thanks for your feedback.  I will think about your suggestion re the cat.  

Understand that most people are pretty sluggish after the op, anyway.  I had surgery several years ago in San Francisco, and it took me days to recover from the sedation, alone.  

Not looking forward to any of this, but if it improves my life stylem and I can get back to my normal activities, it will be worth it.  As they say:  No Pain, No Gain,,,,,!

• Posted

hi

a lot of your worries remind me of mine.  I have this year had two hip replacements having never been in hospital before in my life.  I was terrified of the whole concept and the loss of control as well as how would I be afterwards? having been fit all my life and playing sport was worried this would end.  All my worries have been eliminated.  First of sleeping onyour back.  I have never slept on my back and although it is difficult I did overcome it.  You do feel pain for first 24 hours and wont want to move anyway and in hospital they raise you up at the head which helps and then I had pillows under my knees and could sleep well like this. you need to buy a wedge pillow which is high at top but goes lower towards your waist this will really help.  grabbers definite two if possible so they are indifferent rooms.  I was in hospital 3 nights and was up on first day out of bed and walking on crutches. they make you climb stairs on crutches before you leave.  physio is a must and usually starts 3 weeks post op.  cushions on chairs. chairs with arms.  I could manage most things on my own except the ted stockings. my husband has to put them on and off so you might have to buy a sock puller or some aid to help you get it on.  you need to put everything out ready on work tops to save bending.  i had a table on wheels to put everything on so was right height to eat off, for laptop etc.  I amnot sure about your cat but it might have to climb up to you to eat? maybe you can put the dish up higher.

I was put on one crutch after 3 weeks and no crutches after 5 weeks. 6 weeks you can drive and definitely you will feel good.  however first 24 hours make sure you take painkillers BEFORE you feel the pain as it is hard that first 24 hours but everything gets better after that.  make some dinners and freeze them in advance I did that and was godsend.  yes the place will look like old peoples home but after 6 weeks can start getting back to normal.  you will not regret it.

definitely recommend epidural no after effects and you are awake and able to recover very quickly.

good luck.

maggie

• Posted

Many thanks Maggie.  Very interested in this whloe discussions as when I asked my GP about anaesthesia, she said it would be a general anaesthetic.  I think I would prefer the epidural for the same reasons as you state.

Where are all the aids available?  Would Ebay be a good resource, or would somewhere like Lloyds pharmacy be better.  Can't always trust what you buy on Ebay, I have found.

Many thanks for the suggestions about painkillers.  I have cocadomol, but havenever used it, as I have always felt that I need to be able to gauge the amount of discomfort, rather than mask it.  Post op is an entirely different scenario, as it is a "known."

All the best,

Susie

• Posted

hi susie

the wedge pillow is available on lloyds I think on line.  also I bought loads of aids from amazon too - found those two the best for me.

yes I am sure your anaesthesist will discuss it all with you. Initially as I had never been in hospital I was wanting to be out and general was my thought but was persuaded by everyone to go epidural route and have to say really glad I did that.  so did it for both hips too and took some earphones and music in with me on ipod.  it helps relax you too.

re painkillers. when in hospital they will probably give you something stronger after the operation may be morphine but just to make sure if you have epidural you askfor it earlier if you dont have the self administering pump.  It can make you a bit sick but they gave me an anti sickness injection and I was ok.  the pain after the epidural knocks in about an hour after operation and takes you by surprise so best to get ready in advance. first hip i left it too late second hip i was determined not too.  that is definitely the worst bit.  it gets so much better after that.

about hoovering.....really difficult at the beginning. get a long handled brushpan and brush its a god send.  

hope all goes well maggiex

• Posted

I read you had pillows under your knees after the op? I sleep like this now pre op  ( only way) and my physio came to my home to deck it out with ortho gear and said NO I will not have a pillow under my knees after the THR. She said those who cannot sleep flat pre op find thay can with the new hip. Hmmm this has gotten me thinking! Deb
    • Posted

hi deb

yes had 2 hip replacements and for first post op slept with pillows under knees and after 10 weeks was able to sleep flat so did same again with second hip and now just 5 weeks so far post operative so hopefully will be back to flat again after that. maggie

• Posted

Hi Maggie:

You are in Wiltshire, I think?  As a matter of interest, where did you have your op?  I have zeroed in on Bath Circrle Bath.

Best regards,

Susie

• Posted

Hi I am also from Wiltshire and had my op at New Hall Hopsital Salisbury.

Ali 2

• Posted

Salisbury NHS, I work there and chose my surgeon carefully. He has very low revision and infection rates. 
    • Posted

Hi Alice:  I'm opting for Bath Circle.  Salisbury would be too far away for me, as i am living quite close to Bradford on Avon, near the canal.

Mazggie has suggested that the Wiltshire hip ops get together.  I am pre op, but wonder what yiu think of her suggestion?

Best,

Susie

• Posted

That's interesting.  Alice had hers in Salisbury, but it is too far for me.  Do you know anything about the surgeons at Bath Circle?  My research, thus far, nclines me to think that a lateral/anterior approach with an epidural would be the best way forward in terms of recovery from the anaesthetic and fewer movement restrictions, post op with the lateral/anterior.  I don't know what criteria is used to make the decision on approach, though.  I would imagine a lot depends on the patient's weight and general health in terms of physical fitness?
    • Posted

Sounds a good idea!!  When we are all mobile....That IS a plan.  I remembr Maggie encoraging me when I was a very nervous pre op!

Ali 2

I used to go to a Convent in Bath!!

• Posted

maggie is a good person to ask as works in SD Hospital.  I checked and rechecked internet and had a lovely surgeon call ed Mr Veitch.  The nurses loved him at New Hall as he wasn't pompus and 'all pin striped suits'.

Smiles.

Ali 2

• Posted

Welcome! You’ll find this forum invaluable in helping you through the process. I had my operation in Circle Reading in July and they were great.. For anyone facing the op for the first time I’d say read everything you can and be prepared and post-op get on your feet, walk and do the exercises. You need to put the effort in for a good long term result. I live alone so found a lot of the aids recommended very useful, a grabber is essential in fact I bought two because I’m clumsy and figured I’d need a second when I dropped the first! Which I have done on numerous occasions. A long handled dustpan and brush and a long-handled back brush for the shower are also must haves. I did buy a sponge on a stick for the shower but the back brush worked well so I used the sponge for applying body lotion to the bits I couldn't reach. Before I went into hospital I put everything I thought I would need on high shelves and replaced my china with the plastic picnic cups plates etc. My main concern was if I dropped china or glass I wouldn't be able to clean it up before the cat trod in it! That worked very well.Get your hair done and your manicure/pedicures as near to the operation as possible, it’s a morale boost and it will be a while before you can get them done again. I found some good stuff on Amazon, a foot scrubber [Easy Feet Shower Cleaning Foot Scrubber] , Sketcher shoes that are very comfortable but you don't need socks for and have a good gripping base [Skechers Go Walk 2 Super Sock Women's Low-Top Sneakers] and pet bowls on-sticks [No Bend Pet Bowl ]. There is no glossing over that this operation is no fun and it takes time to get better but stick with it and there is light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck!

• Posted

Gosh wish I had known about those cat bowls..How very useful your post is..

Ali 2

• Posted

Many thanks Racingcat.  I already own several pairs of Skechers, and they are very practical.  In fact, they are a fashion must have, as I wear a lot of designer, Shirin Guild and Eskandar, and their models either wear sneakers or Skecher type footwear!   My hair is long, so not much of a problem with styling and I used to have French manicures, until I discovered the white pencil and the buffing aids, which look terrific.  Looking good is a great morale booster, and if you feel that you look ok despite the pain in the rear, I hope it will speed things up a bit!  I live by the Avon/Kennet canal, so can walk along the towpath and feed the swans.  Also a keen photographer, so once I am able to move, there will be plenty to keep me interested.

Great idea about the 2nd grabber and the plastic plates, etc., keeps down on the washing up, and keeps the garbage collectors happy!

My cat is a Maine Coon, and sheds fur all over the place, not to mention that when she comes in through the cat flap, which is too small for her, she brings half the garden in with her.  Vacuuming is going to be a major problem for a while.  How are other people managing all that?

Many thanks 

• Posted

Hoovering is not an option for some time, they will tell you 12 weeks although my physio said OK at 10 weeks as long as I took it gently and didn't twist at the hip. I had a good friend who hoovered and dusted for me until I was ready to do it for myself otherwise I would have got a cleaning company in. Possibly your local council may be able to provide some assistance.
    • Posted

I bought one of those stick hoovers that are very light and was able to trundle about hoovering after a week....couldn't use my normal heavy one though..I also found a nice lady who came and cleaned the bathroom and kitchen for the first 4 weeks.  A real treat..

Ali 2

• Posted

Hi Maggie:  Yes, I am in Wiltshire, close to Bradford on Avon.  Small world!  I can see the canal from my liivng room, and at the back of me, is the marina where the narrowboats are kept.  The swans visit on a regular schedule to be fed.  They come up to the fence, and wait for me to get up in the morning!

Goo to hear backc from you,

• Posted

Don't know Westbury very well.  Visited once beause the cat needed to be spayed, and had a visit to the dental hygienist once, because my dentist had lost their hygienist.  Know the shopping area, but not much else.

Besst regards,

Susie

• Posted

I have been to Salisbury just once a few years ago.  Lovely!  I have spent most of my life in the US, so my knowledge of the UK is somewhat minus a few years!

Best regards,

• Posted

H i Susie,  Isn't it marvelous..we are from all over the World on this forum..

Your knowledge is better than mine on the USA!

Ali 2x

• Posted

Seems the Wiltshire crew could meet up at sometime and hip, hip hop along together
    • Posted

One of the most useful aids, and it is the one thing the hospital does give you here in Australia, there carpentry workshop make them up. Its a piece of dowel or broom handle about 2 feet long, with a cup hook on the end. pick er upper, underpants puller when you can't bend past the 90 degrees, gives you the ability to dress yourself without somebody helping you. dozens of uses, but so simple.
    • Posted

Brilliant!  Can make that up myself!  Probably a good idea to have one with some other sort of "implement" screwed into it, too.  I'll put the grey cells to work.

Many thanks

• Posted

I just use my sticks reversed to pull up clothes - but only possible with sticks, not crutches due to the arm clips.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.