Beginning my journey...

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello Everyone,

I am right at the beginning of the journey into have my right hip replaced.  Last xray, taken two years ago, showed moderate to severe arthritis.  Needless to say, although I have been doing the exercises that the phsyio gave me, my condition has worsened.  Scheduled for third set of exrays at the end of November.  

I have a few concerns that maybe the forum can help me with.  For the life of me, I cannot sleep on my back.  I always start the night, on my left side (left handed) and do use diazepam as a sleep aid.  Used to take Temazapam, and I am thinking of asking my GP to put me back on it for the first six weeks, or so, post op, if the hospital insists that I sleep on my back.  Additionally, I am aware that I move around a lot in my sleep  Will they want to restrain me....!!!?  Otherwise, I will never sleep, and that does not help recovery - does it...?  I hoping to go to one of Circle hospitals.  Does anyone know anything bout them?  I have been told that they are the best option for this type of surgery.  

I have done a fair amount of research, but have found that each site give varying ibnformation.  I have spoken to Circle, and they say you are in hospital for three nights, and admitted the night before surgery.

I am a former smoker, still working on it, and using the E cigarettes, but mostly in the morning.  I am 74 years and have smoked for about 50 years, although not every day.  Stopped smoking tobacco about three months ago, although there has been the occasional lapse.  I am worried about the chest xray.  I have read that in some cases a spinal block or epidural is used, rather than a General Anaesthesia.  Think this is mostly a technique for patients with cardiac problems, although, there are hospitals, I am told that use spinal block or epidural and not Gen An.

I live alone, and am quite fit for my age, look about 20 years younger, I am told!  The arthritis, of course, has put a stop to any proper exercise, so, no cardio vascular exercise for quite a while now, unfortunately.  

Reading through some of the forums, I have found that recovery rates vary enormously, and some people are still immobile after six weeks post op, which is alarming.

I live alone in a ground floor flat,and am wondering how people living alone manage post op.  In addition, I have a cat.  We are told not do certain things like bending down, etc.   How on earth do I feed Tallulah?  It's these silly little practical things that make life difficult, so wonder what other people's managing techniques are?  I know you can buy grabbers, etc.

Think the above is enough for now.  Any and all feedback and info would be most helpful.

2 likes, 67 replies

67 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Dear Susie.WElcome to this site.  All the questions you have raised I did too and am 9 weeks post op..First the cats ( my 2 ) caused me the most frustration as spilt so much food and long handled thing didn't grip peoperly..But encorage to eat higher up..I didn't want to do this as had spent months asking them not to..onto more serious issues..You will get used to sleeping on your beck.  I thought I never would ..it is fitful and not a full night but oh the joy when you can sleep on your side.  I was kept in hopsital for a week as also live on my own.  Prepare ready meals or buy and use a micr wave uless your oven in high..mine isn't and only recently can use..same with washing machine and fridge.  It is all daunitng but you find ways of doing things..This site is helpful supportive and funny and will keep your spirits up and share experiences.  It calmed me down before the op. I also have sleeping pills ( 15yes since my hub died) and they do help a bit with the sleeping.  You just have to tell yoursel you won't sleep too well for first few weeks.

​Keep in touch..post all your worries there will always be a reply to help.

Ali 2 

• Posted

Hi susie. I'm 13 weeks post op and 52. As previous people have said there is no glossing over that this is a hard op to recover from but the benefits certainly out way the disadvantages. I did not find this forum until many weeks post op as I was struggling with sleep, memory, limp,misery at not being independant etc. I'm now finding that my complaints appear to be the norm for this op. My sister works as a receptionist in a private hospital and kept telling me how she was seeing people 6 weeks post op who were "completely back to normal". I was not, so thought I was either a complete drip or something was wrong with me! This forum has helped me enormously and I feel that my issues are valid and the members all help with tips and encouragement. It's a shame we can't all meet up!! Good luck. One thing I would recommend is a washing hair shower cap! My friend bought me one from Amazon. You heat this special shower cap in microwave for 20seconds or so and put it on your head and it washes and conditions your hair. Sounds mad I know!  It's not the same as a proper wash but because I couldn't easily wash my hair, it felt so much better! Also good points made re having your hair done, manicures and pedicures etc pre op. Long life milk, frozen meals etc and stuff you might fancy to eat when you may be off your food.  I wasn't prepared for sleep issues but enjoyed my afternoon naps to compensate for disruption during the small hours. Lavender oil to sniff regularly was fab also both in hospital and when home. Good luck x
    • Posted

Hi Donna,

Sorry to hear that your recovery was not as rapid as you would have wished.  I guess, recovery rates doe vary enormously.  I like your suggetion about the Amazon Washing Hair Shower Cap, and will take a look at that.  

It is a pity that post ops cannot meet up to exchange histories and experiences, but I guess it is down to location.

I had alfeady thought about frozen eals, and will probably do a big shop at the local Waitrose for frozen readies.  It's the vegetables that are going to be the major problem, as I can't stand frozen, except peas.  Thought I might buy milk in advance and freeze that, too.  

Hoping they will keep me in for jst the three days, as my cat is very insecure, and freaks if I am out for just one nght, let alone three.  My daughter may be able to help out there, though.

It is the sleep issue that bother e mostly, as without sleep, I am a total grouch and not nic to be around.  Don't function at all well, 

Many thanks,

Susie

• Posted

Hi susie. Because I didn't do lots of research before the op I think I assumed that as soon as the initial post op pain and discomfort went away I would be perfectly "normal"! I now think my recovery has been as good as it was expected to be. Physios have been happy with me. I also think it's difficult to know if you are overdoing it or under doing it, because the muscles do ache after walking and exercises etc. I'm sure however much we grizzle on our posts, I'm certainly glad I've had the op because relying on painkillers and the suffering from the pain was not good. So good luck and keep up posted on your journey xx

• Posted

Hi Donna:  I am glad that I embarked on the reserach, very early on because I have had a pretty goo cross section of information, although it is a trifle confusing, so I shall have to sift through it, and make some notes.  Although, having said that, the confusion has been from the various online sites.  The info and insight I have had is by becoming a member of this site!  So, thank you all very much.

Re:  the aching muscles.  What I have observed is that my upper thigh and calf muscles have atrophied, and of course, other muscle groups have been overworking to copensate for the lack of movement in the hip.  This most probably why I am sure a lot of post op patients find discomfort.  Of the exercises that the physiotherapist gave me at the beginning of all this, two years ago, the ones that I think would be the most helpful un combatting muscle ache are the stretch, holding onto the back of a chair, in my case, for example, the piano, and extending one leg back and stretching so that the foot is resting entirely on the floor, and holding for a count of 20.  Make sure that you are o a non slip surgace, though.  The other one, which stretches the upper thigh is to sit on the edge of your bed, lie down, and bring both knees up to your chest, and then allow the bad leg to dangle over the edge of the bed.  I am up to a count of 60.  The weight of the leg, stretches the thigh muscle.  Best, though, to have a word with the physio, post op before embarking on this.  

I have been keeping up with these exercies, although I don't find that they help that much anymore, but post op, they may prove themselves to be beneficial, because the groundwork for recovery has already been laid, so to speak! 

• Posted

Alleluia, I'm not being the wimp I thought I was. Ty for your remarks. Makes me feel something like "normal" again. Xxxx
  • Posted

Your post has made me think. Im 19 and due to get my op in a few months but now im not sure how ill feed my reptiles as there tanks are quite low to the ground and obviously i will not be able to bend down to feed them/change water ect..
    • Posted

Gosh so young hun! Can you ask family or friends to help you? Good luck and speedy recovery.
    • Posted

iv thought about it and i will have to get my brother to help i think. haha. Thankyou though
  • Posted

Hi susie. Just remember that different surgeons perform different types of hip replacements - anterior or posterior and I think they are more too. All op recovery can result in dislocation if you are not careful and there have been several posts on this forum regarding this. Xxx

• Posted

Hi Donna:  Maybe the surgeons decide how they are going to approach depending upon how deep they are going to have to cut, depending on whether the patient is well endowed at the rear, possibly?  I know that some of them cut in from the side, too.  If they cut in from the anterior, I wonder why they would instruct the patient to sleep on their back, where the wound is giong to be subjected to the pressure from their weight!  If they go in from the side, then with the use of a bolster to keep the leg, feet and hip in the right positions,I wonder why can the patient not sleep on the non operated side?

Dislocation is a worry, and I have being doing research on how to protect against this.  I do recall an awful incident in Sainsbury's with children running around the ailes uncontrolled and knocked a woman who was shopping for the first time on her own over, dislocating her hip.  She was on the floor near the tills, for over an hour before an ambulance finally arrived!  In this regard, I think for the first time out independently, a crutch shoujld be used and the customer service desk shoujld be made aware of your situation, so that uncontrolled children's parents can be approached.

Best regards,

• Posted

Wow that poor lady in the supermarket. I have to say I used my crutch for weeks outside because I wanted to alert people to a problem. I was lucky because people were very helpful. I was worried about people pushing past me or banging into my operated side so using the crutch they were giving me a wide berth!  It also reminds you that you can't lift loads of shopping when you are using a crutch. 😃
    • Posted

Hi Donna:

I have found that people can be very inconsiderate.  I visited my local convenience store, walking on my stick, and a hefty, brute of a man, pushed past me, nearly knocking me over.  Fortunately, someone was close by and save me from falling.  The shop keeper looked profoundly shocked and concerned, and asked if I was alright.  You almst feel as though you need to have not only the crutch, but someone behind and in front of you waving a red flag!!!!  

• Posted

Some people have no consideration - someone with a red flag would be great ;-)

It worries me that when I get back to work in London, and have to run the gauntlet of packed commuter trains, tube, bus, crowded streets .... 

Does anyone else have any advice on similar work issues?

• Posted

I have sucessfully managed to feed our cat by using a grabber - I practised before going in for the operation.  Make sure you have the food stored at a height you can reach it.

Bending down is OUT - it's all to do with reducing the chance of it dislocating due to the muscles being weaker than they were.  I lost 70 pounds weight before the operation, so my muscles were used to handling me at a much higher mass, also my blood sugar and cholesterol reduced. This has meant that post operatively I am able to recover faster.

Is there someone you can call out to help if you get stuck, like dropping your grabber (it happens)?  

It is amazing what you can do with 2 sticks - great for dressing and undressing, I use one reversed for pulling up trousers!  Socks are just impossible.

I believe the Epidural speeds recovery - it's what I had.

I have a small vegetable rack on wheels to store my needs - medication, wipes, appointment cards, kindle, phone, ipod, long shoehorn etc. which I pull allong behind me with the shoehorn reversed!

I hated the Tramadol, i got withdrawal symptoms each time the next pill was due - so I kicked it out, with no ill effects.

Good luck.

Graham

• Posted

Hi:  I have been thinking about the cat a lot, as she gets really p'od if she is not fed on time!  I had wonderes if one of those dust pan and brushes with the long handles would be a good idea as her meals are of the jellied sort.  What she doesn't eat, just goes down the loo.  I already have one of them, so the 2nd could be exclusively for the cat.  It's amazing how inventive one can become when challenged with an outlook like this!   

Difficult to call upon people in an emergency, as most people are working during the day.  There again, I suppose it's an idea to have duplicates of the necessities.  I am probably going to br uding disposables plates, etc. in case of breakages, and to dut down on time spent at the sink!

• Posted

Find out if there is any shops near that supply disabled products.  I have found that 'stick clips' at my local shop help me to 'park' both my sticks and the grabber - they just clip onto the sticks,and allow you to park the sticks on a table edge etc. i think they cost me about £2 each - £6 well invested.
    • Posted

Susie..what a good idea re long handled dustpan to feed cat....I had real difficulty  and wish I had thought of that...as alone and you are right most people around are at work so aren 't around to help

​Re paper plates....You would be able to wash up as normal,,just not bend to load a dishwasher..You will adapt and problems altho frustrating..i dropped 6 eggs...I busrt into tears in frustration..before long you will be on this forum encoraging others..

​Ali 2.

• Posted

I think Lloyds do a lot of that sort of thing.  No disabled products around here, unless I drive into Bath, or go on line, but there are no guarantees as to safety with some of these products as a lot of them are imported and badly made.  
    • Posted

Yes, I thought that dustpan idea was a stroke of brilliance - if it works.  There is always the danger, that the cat will pounce before its on the floor, or I will tip the whole lot out on the way down.  Probably brst to make sure the cat is ot in the room before feeding her, and just be careful about angles on the way down to the floor.  Probably a good idea to practice a few times.

Sorry about your eggs.  They are a real mess to clean up, unless you can invite a neighbours dog in without them knowing!!!

• Posted

The vegetable rack on wheels is an amazing idea!

I hope lots of pre hippies read it!

Cathie

• Posted

I can claim no credit, it was my wife's idea - that's the other best accessory, a great partner biggrin

Graham

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.