Beginning my journey...

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello Everyone,

I am right at the beginning of the journey into have my right hip replaced.  Last xray, taken two years ago, showed moderate to severe arthritis.  Needless to say, although I have been doing the exercises that the phsyio gave me, my condition has worsened.  Scheduled for third set of exrays at the end of November.  

I have a few concerns that maybe the forum can help me with.  For the life of me, I cannot sleep on my back.  I always start the night, on my left side (left handed) and do use diazepam as a sleep aid.  Used to take Temazapam, and I am thinking of asking my GP to put me back on it for the first six weeks, or so, post op, if the hospital insists that I sleep on my back.  Additionally, I am aware that I move around a lot in my sleep  Will they want to restrain me....!!!?  Otherwise, I will never sleep, and that does not help recovery - does it...?  I hoping to go to one of Circle hospitals.  Does anyone know anything bout them?  I have been told that they are the best option for this type of surgery.  

I have done a fair amount of research, but have found that each site give varying ibnformation.  I have spoken to Circle, and they say you are in hospital for three nights, and admitted the night before surgery.

I am a former smoker, still working on it, and using the E cigarettes, but mostly in the morning.  I am 74 years and have smoked for about 50 years, although not every day.  Stopped smoking tobacco about three months ago, although there has been the occasional lapse.  I am worried about the chest xray.  I have read that in some cases a spinal block or epidural is used, rather than a General Anaesthesia.  Think this is mostly a technique for patients with cardiac problems, although, there are hospitals, I am told that use spinal block or epidural and not Gen An.

I live alone, and am quite fit for my age, look about 20 years younger, I am told!  The arthritis, of course, has put a stop to any proper exercise, so, no cardio vascular exercise for quite a while now, unfortunately.  

Reading through some of the forums, I have found that recovery rates vary enormously, and some people are still immobile after six weeks post op, which is alarming.

I live alone in a ground floor flat,and am wondering how people living alone manage post op.  In addition, I have a cat.  We are told not do certain things like bending down, etc.   How on earth do I feed Tallulah?  It's these silly little practical things that make life difficult, so wonder what other people's managing techniques are?  I know you can buy grabbers, etc.

Think the above is enough for now.  Any and all feedback and info would be most helpful.

2 likes, 67 replies

67 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Suzie can you get home help for a few weeks? I actually work as  carer for the elderly in their own homes and we do all sorts of things. Im lucky as my beautiful daughter has moved back home to save money and help her Mum after the THR. Hope all goes well for you and as i am also pre op,  i feel and understand all your concerns.
    • Posted

Hi:  I have thought about that as an option. I am a very young 74, but the hip problem has put a stop to a lot of my activities.  Don't need home help, as I am able to do much for myself.  It's the vacuuming, laundry and taking out the garbage, and changing the bedsheets that are going to be the problem, and that is where I would need assistance.  My mattress is a problem at teh best of times, as I have to raise it and hold it on my knee whilst I put the mattress protector and fitted bottom sheet around the corner.  My bed is an antique French Baroque, and the mattress fits very snugly.  I may have to buy a couple of ordinary flat sheets for a while, and with the new hip, it may have to be a permanent situation unless I can find someone to change the bed for me. 
    • Posted

Home Help Carers also do all the basics, cleaning, beds , washing etc. Well here in NZ t least!
    • Posted

Hi Deb:  I didn't realise that this Forum was so global!  There may be something of that sor here in the UK.  I have spent most of my life in the US, so am not up to speed on what is available, although I know that there is some sort of system.

All the best,

• Posted

Good morning lovely people -

wow ... what great tips and suggestions - 

Susie, try not to worry too much right now about sleeping on your back - you can deal with it when confronted, which might be - you  never know -

house cleaning, making your bed, etc .... very tempting to do that yourself and it is not that you can not, but you should not - major surgery and such fragility that you don;t want to strain it ... ask someone to do it for you (don't even help) - I did have home health care to help me strip wash (no shower until staples were removed) and get dressed - they made my bed and tidied up - I also had a cleaning lady come in once a week for the first 6 weeks - Pay out of pocket but it is worth it - bathroom, kitchen, hoovering, mopping floor, doing windows etc. -

you can bend over if you really need to - 

stretch your operated leg out back and bend over to pick up from floor - 

have a great Sunday -

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

renee interesting about the leg out the back to bend over.

I have been doing this for many months, only way I can bend theses days.

I didnt know you could do this post operative before 6 weeks. I do know its one of the two methods of bending over, presumably for the rest of your life. Love to hear long term post THR peeps as to how the bend, squat etc.

• Posted

Hi Renee:

Many thanks for the advice.  I did experiment with sleepng on my back,  last night.  Mainly to see if I could do it, and partly to get used to it, so that there are not so many adjustents to be made, post op.  I do realise it is very early days yet, but I don't like nasty surprises, particularly living alone.  I take Diazepam as a sleep aid - 5 - 7 mg.  I used 7mg, and placed a pillow under my knees, and another on my stomach.  I used to meditate, but  have not recently.  Sp, when I was feeling quite relaxed, I used that and slept through from about 11:330 pm., until 5:45 a.m.  Not enough sleep for me, but I did not move all night.  Will probably take a nap after Andrew Marr, if possible.

Will investigate home help, but don't really want any help washing.  I use baby wipes a lot.  Initially I used them to remove make up, but find they have many uses, and they are very handy, and flush down the loo.  I was thinking about buying a couple of conventional flat sheets, for the bed, rather than the type that have the elasticated corners and fit around the mattress.  They can be used in Summer when it gets really hot instead of a light weight duvet.  So, a worthwhile investment as long as they are of good quality.

Many thanks, and a good huggie wuggie to you, too,

Susie 

• Posted

Interesting thought about the leg.  I hope that it is not a permanent condition, though!  My understanding, pre op, is that the operated leg should not be bent at the hip, because the supporting musculature and tendons need to heal to support the new hip.  Does anyone hve any information onn this, please?
    • Posted

Just make sure you hold on to something sturdy ... my surgeon actually showed  me how to do it - I saw a different man !!!!  cheesygrin 

someone here called it the "golfer's bend"   ... 

I am not squatting yet ... too scared that I might tip over and then what ????

blessings

renee

• Posted

hi susie

just onthe sleeping your back.  just also try raising your head it does help.

experiment again with pillows raised to try but if works by a triangular wedge from lloyds or somewhere.  it really does work. i put my pillows on it and still using it 6 weeks post op to sleep onmy back.

maggiex

• Posted

Hi Maggie:

In one mof my revious posts, I said that I managed to get to sleep on my back, but with the aid of Diazepam and a little meditation.  However, I woke a little to early, and knew I needed more sleep.  So, I watched Andrew Marr, and repeated the process, but without the Diazepam, and manage to sleep another three hours, waking in exactly the same position.  Very reassuring, as now, I know it can be done, and will probably keep going on it now.  I have heard of the V pillows, and will pick one up pre op.

Many thanks,

Susie

• Posted

My consultant, in Portugal, has just asked me what the 90degree

rule meant. He said I could have bent down from the beginning,

after his lateral surgery approach! His only requirement was when

standing or sitting to keep the operated leg straight at the knee!

I only found this Out at my 5 week visit. I conclude that there must

be different rules for posterior, anterior and lateral operations.

no wonder we read conflicting advice.

Cathie

• Posted

Please consider getting all the help you can after the op.

you can always cancel if you don't need them, but it is quite

hard to organise post op. Knowing someone is popping in

can be so supportive. The forum members have given you

so much good advice I back up all they say. By the time you

get your op date you will be well prepared.

love Cathie

• Posted

Hi Cathie:

I am putting in a lot of research, and will look into the social services side of all this, too.  

Great forum, and I am really reassured by all the helpful advice, and hope that some of this is of help to others in my position.

All the best to you,

Susie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.