beta blocker withdrawals

Posted , 8 users are following.

Why are long rebound withdrawals discounted by most doctors when their are so many that have issues with this.

0 likes, 76 replies

76 Replies

Next
  • Edited

im having extreme wd from Atenolol. The last time I cut was five months ago but I still feel as sick as a dog. My psychiatrist is adamant Its not wd but from what i feel andcread it is! Its so scary because our doctors dont believe us! I cant believe how sick I feel. I was not even on a high dose. Started at 20mg Atenolol and I am now at 7.15mg. Too scared to cut again. I have constant nervousness, tight neck muscles, chest pain, burning sensations throughout my body, disturbed sleep and general sick feeling. I feel desperate but no doctor willing to believe me. Just tell me to go back up. I am too scared to though. This med has been extremely cruel

• Edited

I hate that your going through this. I was only on beta blocker for 6 weeks and I am totally miserable. My anxiety is through the roof and I never had anxiety before. My feet tingle all the time, I have adrenal rushes that wake me up during the night. Yeah doctors don't believe that there withdrawals from them. Try to send Tom a message on here, he might can help you more than me. I'm a newbie to this. Toms user name is Tom90594.

• Posted

thank you TYT

im sorry for your suffering too!

what are your main symptoms? You have I assume, come off the beta blocker conpletely? what dose were you on?

Please stay in touch. Perhaps we can help each other?

• Posted

My anxiety is the worst for me. I guess my body is having to relearn what to do with all the adrenaline that was blocked with the beta blocker. Its almost unbearable. I went to my new doctor today and she said yes that I was probably having rebound effects from stopping. She said it just takes time and she wants me to give it another month and see how it is then. I do have some valium if things get very bad, but I dont really want to use it. I was on 12.5 2X a day for 4 weeks then reduced to 3.125 2X a day for 2 weeks and doctor told me to quit it.

• Posted

its so brutal I know. I also have bad anxiety and severe muscle tension in shoulders and neck. many times ive felt like asking my doc for Valium but I he wont give it to me because Ive had difficulty getting off them before. So now I am increasing my antidepressant.

like me, you were on a low dose and despite that such a tough withdrawal! I am still on 7mg. Have no idea how Im going to drop that....

• Posted

I replied to your message earlier, don't know what happened to it. So it may show up later. Hopefully going up on your antidepressant works for you. If I don't get any relief soon I may have to think about one. I just hate to start another medication. Their was one person that I saw that was coming off the beta blocker and she had a lot of the issues your having and she had them the whole time that she was tapering. She tapered slowly too. But she finally got through it.

• Posted

are you good now ?

I hope that you are Good

I don't want to scare you but this is the truth

I was in Bisoprolol just two months I was taking 10 mg ,Because my blood pressure is a little high, and it was the worst day of my life. I became like an old man. My body shivering, cold feet, dizziness, dizziness and ringing in the ears. I stopped taking it only after two months of using it. Loss of energy most of the time, foggy head and dizziness sometimes I feel better, but the adrenaline in our bodies is rushing with force. I give up and I have no solution but to take vitamins. I do not want to be negative, but I am afraid that it will not come out of my body. I am 39 years old, I admit that the tinnitus with time has improved, I just feel With a band in the ear, but ringing in the ears.Coolness in the body, especially in the legs Note: Do not ask the doctor, because it will worsen your condition. Do not use any medication. Pregnancy and time will end this despicable drug that caused me anxiety and incomprehensible fear

Note : I haven't taken medication for 2 years and still a lot of withdrawal

• Posted

I'm a lot better now. I went through horrendous withdrawals for about 3 months. I really thought I was having a nervous breakdown. Its been a little over a year now and still not totally back to normal. but I am able to function now. Hopefully I will continue to feel better.

• Posted

Have you suffered from blurring head or noise in the ear? This is what hurts me the most so far

• Posted

tyt. thanks for your report.. I've been off BB for about a month and I thought I was all over it and even felt some great peace. Then Bam! Palpitations won't stop!

Is this part of what you experienced? And how are things now?

• Posted

marwan Has things got better? Today for me, is horrid! I'm going trhough some extreme palpitations and fast heart rate. I keep hoping this will slow down. I keep checkinng my pulse rate. And it seems to down a bit till I get up to do something.... Then bam! Pulse rate up again!

• Posted

Sorry to say that you will have strong withdrawals that happened with me for two years after stopping. Everything strange that you will face during the coming months is caused by withdrawal from this evil drug. Regarding your rapid heartbeat, ignore it all. It happened with me and it will return to normal without using any medication. Please be patient with what is happening with you It happened to me and it happens sometimes until now, but it gets better, I assure you, do not be afraid. You will experience good days and you think that you have got rid of withdrawal, but the truth is that the bad days will return and the most important thing is not to visit the doctor because he will not believe you. Something, do not be afraid, although I know that it is difficult to control our feelings, but there is no solution but patience. I suffer so far sometimes from imbalance, sounds in the ear, coldness in the feet, sometimes difficulty swallowing and loss of energy, and sometimes I feel more normal than before, do not be afraid, believe me and if you need anything Email me here

• Posted

thx Marwan

Yesterday was tough. I'm so exhausted today. I almost took a pill but I stayed strong and stayed away. I feel like I've been put through the ringer. I am not looking forward to any more of this. I thought I was done but I was wrong.

• Edited

No, please, do not despair, be confident that nothing will happen to you. It is the symptoms of adrenaline in the body. Beautiful days will come to you, I assure you. When you are exhausted, try to relax and remember that you will face new symptoms, but they will end no matter how long it takes. There is a natural herb called lavender that helps you very much to relax.

• Posted

Yea I feel much better now... Pulse is still elevated.

I have some tea with lavender in it so Im relaxing as much as possible. Fortunately, I dont have anything scheduled today except for something an hour in the morning... So I'll just do that and rest afterwards.

• Edited

im Happy for you

when you need Help please tell me 🙂

• Edited

so i was just laying down in the bed and my pulse started to climb ... went to 125 and i was getting real nervous and just said screw it and went for a quick walk I thought for sure the walk would just raise my heart rate... however it stayed the same! Also the walk actually calmed me down ... I was walking by a park and I was a lot calmer so I thought why not just sit down there for a while... checked my pulse after 10 mins and it was less than laying on the bed: 104

was proof to me ... as you said its just adrenaline taking hold of our thinking

• Edited

Still at the park and went to lay down. Pulse is now down to 82

• Edited

All of this happened to me. It is true that walking calms the nerves and thus the heartbeat. Also, drinking something hot also calms down the speed of the body. You have to be patient because even if you visit the doctor, he will not believe you. We all face the same fate. You are not alone

• Edited

thx mar

so everything seems to be calming down for now. But it does seem my heart rate is elevated and it also works harder if I move slightly

Has it stayed that elevated for you, consistently.

It wont seem to go back down I dont mean the tachycardia or palpitations, as that seems ok for now... but the elevation is bothering me

• Posted

Well it's a bit different now. I don't really get the palpitations so much. But I do notice my heart is working much harder and I have an elevated heart rate. But I just tell myself it's only adrenaline that doesn't know what to do yet. I'll get over it. I just have to try my best to ignore it for now

• Posted

Everything that happens to you and what will happen from the rush of adrenaline in the body, the problem is time. Other symptoms will happen to you, and I hope that they will not occur with you, such as imbalance, coldness of the body, general fatigue, sometimes difficulty swallowing, and ear popping, but I am sure that it is a period, and the problem will pass in time for two years. Two months, it is a long and difficult time, but with time we get good days, we think that we are back to normal, but the bad days will return until our body gets used to it and gets back to normal. The problem is that there is no treatment, no matter how much we try any new treatment, it will be negative for our body. They believe us and think that it is just anxiety, but the truth is, no, it is not anxiety, it is from this poison that entered the body and made it disoriented

• Posted

I have gotten some of those other symptoms that you mentioned. I am a little better today however I do notice that I'm more nervous than usual. After reading about some other experiences morning times seem to be the worst. So I just woke up it's 530 right now here. Therefore I am hoping that I am more relaxed as a day goes by

• Edited

It is true that in the morning the hardest feeling is even me, and most of the time the best feeling is at dinner while going to bed. The sad thing is that when we sleep we know that tomorrow morning will be difficult.

• Posted

Well just as you said... last night I was feeling very relaxed. This morning I was nervous. Fortunately, Im not anxious but more just nervous.

Pulse rate came down as well. Fri and Sat were tough. They weren't as intense as a month ago when I experienced severe tachycardia, however, this time the duration was longer.

• Posted

Fortunately, my pulse isn't too elevated. I just can't relax. I feel like Im back in College getting ready for a Final.

• Posted

Don't you feel pressure on the ear and heaviness in the head ?

You will have difficult days that you think you will die, and this is all from drug withdrawal, and you will also have days that you think you are back to normal

• Posted

Fortunately I don't have air pressure or heaviness in the head. My main things right now are just tachycardia which I hope is done, elevated heart rate and nervousness

When I am calm I will do Windsprint and a hiit program ....My hopes is that my body will learn to get used to the adrenaline and shut it down when it comes up. Wish me luck

• Posted

Yes, I had all the crazy things. Everything has gotten better except the internal tingling in my feet and still have problems with anxiety.

• Posted

I had the horrific withdrawals for about 3 months. I had adrenaline surges that were the worst. It took a couple months for my palpitations to stop. I'm so much better, still have tingling in my feet and anxiety at times. Its been over a year and a half since I stopped the BB.

• Posted

This drug is a devil. I stopped two years ago, and like you, I used it for a short period. My pulse is like yours now. I feel tingling in my feet sometimes, my mouth, and coldness in my legs, but I am much better. It is caused by bisoprolol. We are definitely improving, but very slowly, but we will return to normal and remember these days, and that we were strong and overcame them.

• Posted

I am now feeling heaviness in the head My neck feels tighter as well

Fortunately my tachycardia has slowed but now im just feeling very nervous and anxious

Oh how I do this to be relaxed ... when does this stop?

• Posted

miss not this

• Posted

I just want to take a pill to make all this stop. But if I take a pill I know I will never get off it. I'm just looking for some support today

• Edited

No, no, do not take the medicine, otherwise you will not get rid of the symptoms, and even if you take the medicine, you will not feel comfortable. I know what you are going through, an annoying feeling

• Posted

I don't want to scare you, but you will have difficult and more difficult days from now. You have to endure. There is no solution but to endure. I separated from my wife because she could no longer bear my condition, but now, after two years of hell, I am really getting better. I am getting better a week ago, and I am much, much better than before.

• Posted

I don't know what to say until I help you. The only thing is that what is happening to you is normal, normal. Do not be afraid of this medicine. It made the adrenaline in the body feel lost, and until we go back in time, there is nothing but time.

• Posted

sorry about your wife Mar

well I ended up in doing the first half of the day which is pretty bad. But then all of a sudden the second half of the day was better so I guess I had a good window. I just hope I don't get another big wave But im sure I will

Thanks Mar

• Edited

Yes, I am so thankful that I am back to somewhat "normal" I think back to those horrible months and wonder how I made it through without a nervous breakdown. It really messed up my central nervous system. So glad that your doing better too. I hate it for anyone that is having to deal with this. It has made us stronger people and we know that we can overcome a lot.

• Posted

At this moment, my legs are frozen, and I feel a pulse in my legs, and the muscles of my body are tense, but fortunately, I know that it is the withdrawal of this despicable drug

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.