Posted , 14 users are following.

What am I letting myself in for?

Any pre advice / recovery tips very much appreciated 

#terrified

6 likes, 85 replies

85 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Your old life back! Plan on not doing much for a while -  a couple weeks then things start getting better. For me, in the theater, I dozed off and awoke in the recovery room.  Everyone is different in their healing so don't use others as bench marks. Consider the pain and the limitted range of motion you have now? If you've come this far to schedule the surgery I think you've realized this is bette rin the long run. Hopefully you have a partner or others to help out the first few days, because that is when you will likely be the least mobile.  Foe me, I could sense the OA pain was gone and replaced by something else that diminished aily. Good uck in your quest to recovery. Check out the permanently pinned piece by rocketman - lots of great info. I can only encourage you to relax - it will be better. 
    • Posted

Whoops, it is Emis' the moderators post not rocketman.
    • Posted

Thanks ACU ONE. I am sure it will be better. Desperate to get back golfing (of a sort) etc.

"Relax"? I will give my best shot. I will try find Rocketmans page. Cheers

• Posted

You will be given lots of excellent advice and directed to Rocketman's brilliant web page which is invaluable - put it on your favourite list as you will go back to it often.

For me, I would start doing sit-ups now and work on your core muscles as they will come into their own in the first few days post op.

You will look back and realise it was the best thing you have done.

We will all be here each step of the way.

Michael

• Posted

Hi Michael- I am doing half push-ups and others exercises to try be as good a condition as poss for recovery. You had bilateral?
    • Posted

No, I am not one of the chosen few.....

I shall have the other one done in a few years.

• Posted

Hi Coffeeman,

A few days when you feel you've been hit by a truck then a gentle recovery, with small improvements every day that get bigger as time goes by.

As Michael says, keeps your muscles as strong as you can, especially your core muscles, keep a sense of humour and try not to worry too much.  It will only get better.

Cels xxx

• Posted

..... All advice is relax and don't worry. Oh well only 5 weeks 2 days and a few hours of relaxing and not worrying ! Lol

Thanks for the kind words- it had to be better than I have at mo.

• Posted

Hi Coffeeman, I know exactly how you feel. 5 weeks ago I was exactly where you are. I was five weeks and 2 days away from surgery. Today I am 2 days away from surgery (Tuesday). the people on the page have been so caring, kind and informative. There are so many questions that come up while waiting for surgery day. I would just start a new discussion and get so much good advice, experience and encouragement. You came to the right place!

• Posted

ok tomorrow for you then! Very best of luck and good to hear from you
  • Posted

OK, take a deep breath, you've made the right decision and it will work out fine!!!  I am six weeks post op after bilateral hip replacement, anterior approach..  The first two weeks will be very difficult (since you will not have a good leg to stand on, hehe) and it is important to have someone to help you during that period.  That is very important!!  It will allow your body the neccessary time to sleep and recover without worrying about how to get yourself fed, cleaned up, getting ice, etc.  It is extremely difficult, even with a walker to get around during that first two week period and doing stairs is difficult too.  It is best to keep stairs to one time a day.  Take your pain meds and do all perscibed exercise but no more.  DO NOT OVERDO IT!!  There is no benefit in overdoing the first two weeks.  None.  It will only delay your recovery.  Also, as important, take your meds and make sure they are doing their job in minimizing the pain.  There is no benefit at all in trying to wean yourself off pain meds during the first two weeks.  None!

Make sure before surgery to get your home set up for you so that during the day you can sit in your recliner and have your phone, blanket, books/remote control, meds, ice etc. easily available to you. If you are able it was useful to build a small platform for the recliner.  That raised it 4 inches off the ground making it easier to stand up and sit down.

I also rented an electric hospital bed for several weeks.  You will find that you will sleep alot and it will be important to change position if you can.  Having the electric bed can raise your head and/or feet.  The hand rails give you something to grab on to as you adjust your position.  For the first two weeks your legs will have limited strength to assist in this.  If you cannot get the bed try to have six or so pillows of varying thickness to prop your back or legs to achieve the same goal of changing your position so you don't get sore and uncomfortable.

Set yourself up to ice regularly.  I found this to be incredibly important in terms of pain management and muscle recovery.  I would try to do 20 mins. each hr but you'll figure out what works for you.

Finally, with any luck you will find that one leg recovers alot faster than the other so it will help you out.

Every day I am thankful that I decided to do both hips together.  It is not for the faint of heart but if you set yourself up for success it will make it alot easier.

If you have any further questions do not hesitate to contact me.  This forum has helped me immeasurably.

• Posted

Thanks a lot for the good advice Jamie. I will take all of it on board. Luckily we have an ice machine on the freezer.

I will look into the hospital bed rental.

All much appreciated

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.