Posted , 14 users are following.

What am I letting myself in for?

Any pre advice / recovery tips very much appreciated 

#terrified

6 likes, 85 replies

85 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It will be hard to start with but follow what your doctors tell you, don't try and rush things, It will all come together in the end.

Lynn xx

• Posted

Everyone is anxious about getting a hip replacement (or two). I was bricking it before the operation but everything was explained before it happened and I realised that there was nothing to worry about and I was in good hands. I remember nothing about the op (I had a spinal and local anaesthetic) and came to in the recovery room. Have never looked back! Listen to advice, gently do your excersises, take your painkillers and listen to your body. If you're tired take some rest and don't be afraid to get people to help you.
    • Posted

Hi - thanks for the support. All reports insist it is straight forward and makes such a difference. Starting to look forward to it- not lol
  • Posted

Dare I suggest you are not doing this surgery for fun, you are doing it because the pain and worn out joints are just becoming toooooo much.

I was the same, I thought the surgery has to be better than what I have already.

Believe it or not, I found myself not using the morphine button during the night after surgery, as long as I didn't try to move, that was different to usual, was in pain from old joints weather I tried to move or not, it was constant..

Nurses shocked that i had used no painkillers, I assured them that I was in less pain than when I had walked in the door of the hospital the previous morning.

Not for long she said the physio's are coming to get you out of bed, OUCCCCHHH.

But once I was on my feet, OHHHH what a relief, no pain, I could feel some pain from cut on side of hip and leg, but nothing from hips, even have rotation of big toe past heel, which i had not had for 30 years, frightened the physio's stretching so far.

Recovery - did my exercises, as instructed, rested lots, you need to, husband fed watered & showered me, and changed teds stockings for about 10 days, then up and about, other that going to toilet, to lounge room chair.

Used letter box method of walking, my own for 3 days, then immediate neighbours for 3 - 4 days, then 2nd neigbours for 3 - 4 days, by 12 weeks walking to corner store about half a mile. 

Couldn't possibily have done that before surgery, with lots of doing nothing in between, other than playing on computer, watching TV, doing family history mainly online, uses up the down time and not to physical.

It is the best thing you can have done, thank god for modern surgery.

• Posted

Hi Lyn1951. All advice greatly received!! Thank you
  • Posted

good morning , 

Just read your post and all the great responses -  You are in good company - we all are -

these are real experiences from people who have been there, some of us still are - there are no should's - no competition of any kind - healing at your own pace while listening to your body - 

know that all is well, coffeeman 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi coffeeman

I know how you feel, I'm having bilateral in April. Do you know what approach you are having ?

• Posted

not at the moment. I only know in Monday 25th April - out hopefully friday 29th......fingers x. How are you preparing your house for recovery? Thinking of a 'riser/recliner' chair off ebay. - you only 46?? looking at 1970
    • Posted

I've got a recliner, I've got a normal one plus an electric one borrowed from my hubbys boss. I'm going to bring my spare bed downstairs, there was a lady on here about 8 months ago who did that, she slept downstairs for 6-8 weeks. I've also got a portable toilet which has handles either side, it's brilliant, I think it was £30 off Amazon. I've got my own crutches with sold handles & long handled grabbers. Yes I'm 45 now, 46 in June. I'm having posterior approach.
  • Posted

Monday morning here we come
    • Posted

Hi there,

Good luck for Monday.  I'll be thinking of you biggrin

• Posted

Hi coffeeman !!!

You are ready ... just surrender and know that all is well -

Please let us know how you are getting on, okay - Looking forward to your post-op post !!!

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Good luck for Monday coffeeman!

I was having bilateral but chickened out the day before surgery, ended up having 1 done

• Posted

All the best for Monday Coffeeman I will be following you in June so do let us all know how you get on?

Are you having general or spinal anaesthetic?

• Posted

Gosh I don't want to be awake but not discussed that. They will tell me Monday
    • Posted

You can choose level of sedation Coffeeman - I chose none and was absolutely fine, felt nothing but heard it all.  Much more like a car garage than a hospital 
    • Posted

wrong button again ............... D'oh

you can opt for mild (woozy), or right out of it (like a General).

They will ask you for your preference.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Hi yes both at once. At my hospital they don't use general but spinal and sedation apparantly recovery much quicker and they make u so sleepy you don't remember anything. Still scary though!

you got help at home for when u come out?

liz

• Posted

Bilateral done yesterday 7:30 am - out of theatre 11:25. Back in room 1:00 pm. Surgeon very pleasedh - as am I. So much so that he wants to get me up today. I'll report back later
    • Posted

Wow, up on first day.  Impressive!

Good luck with that.  How's the pain?

• Posted

Good job coffeeman! Very brave of you to go through with having both done. Good luck with getting up & about, yr'll do great 👍🏻
    • Posted

Hi coffeeman -

Welcome to this side - wow !!!! 

Yes, that is what they do .... get you up and out of bed as soon as possible-

be prepared for feeling so tired ...

are you full weight bearing - 

so happy for you that it is done 

big warm hug

renee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.