Bisoprolol

Posted , 12 users are following.

I've just been prescribed 2.5mg of Bisoprolol to help with my SVT and I petrified of taking it. Does anyone else take it and does it help? Thanks

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Why are you afraid to take it? 
    • Posted

I try to avoid taking any medication as I have a phobia about it. But also I have read that it can make you really tired and feel like a zombie
  • Posted

I was prescribed 2.5 mg Bisoprolol when SVT was diagnosed but very soon experienced unpleasant side effects - feeling drained and tired, tingling legs and hands. My dose was therefore reduced to 1.25 mg but the side effects continued and I still had SVT episodes. The next advice was to stop taking them except when I experienced an episode, which I did , 2.5mg and another 2.5 after 20 mins. I then felt dreadful and thought I was going to pass out. Symptoms were worse than the SVT!

So now I am o

n a different drug, a calcium-channel blocker. Been on them for 10 days and so far have had no episodes and feel fine.

So my advice is try them but come off if you start to experience side effects. There are alternatives you can try before going down the ablation route.

Good luck.

• Posted

Karen, i was so like you. I just hated it.    I have always said, I would rather have SVT than take that nasty Biso.
    • Posted

The side effects after I started the daily dose of 2.5 mg crept up slowly until they were really noticeable after 5-6 days. 

When I took 2 x 2.5 mg  when I was experiencing an episode the side effects kicked in after a couple of hours. 

• Posted

Pretty much.   The first thing I noticed was the zombie feeling. My heartrate and blood pressure pretty much started with in a day or two. The cold hands and feet took about 3-4 days.

I took 2.5mg  2x a day.

I took this for 2 months and then lowered my dose to 2.5mg  1x a day.

Since had the effects on that.   I took the lower dose for   about  1 month until I stopped it 5 days prior to unsuccessful ablation.   The withdrawals were over the top.  When I went for the ablation I was an anxiety mess.   Could hardly walk from the car to the hospital, my legs were all jittery and weak.

I thought it was anxiety so my doctor put me on a benzo.  Big mistake...

I had no idea at the time it was withdrawal from the Biso.   That then put me in a situation where I am now taking a benzo and was not happy with that.   Then another anti anxiety med was added.  Trazodone......It took me 9 months to wean off this crap.   Just awful.

To date I stopped the Traz about 5 weeks ago, and the benzo was finally stopped about 4 days ago.  A very sloooow wean as I am sensitive.   Now I can have another attempt at an ablation which is Jan 16

• Posted

Good luck with the ablation. Hope it's successful this time.

• Posted

All you can do is try it.  I'm not sure about all these side effects others mention.  I am overweight (I eat too much, I do lack energy but I'm depressed etc etc, I'm arthritic and I'm 71!).  I take 5 mg, which from reading others' comments, I've decided is too much so I'm weaning myself down to 2.5 mg.  My SVT was never very bad and I still do get the odd episode but I manage to get rid of it by deep breathing and/or stroking the carotid artery in my neck.  I do think not enough is made of the connection between SVT and digestion.  It seems to me that in my case the two are very much linked.  Wind in my stomach (or wherever it is, I don't really know) makes me feel very unwell and can set off SVT albeit briefly.  It is all to do with the Vagus nerve which as far as I can tell goes down the right hand side of the heart and affects both the heart and stomach.   No professional has ever taken any notice of my thoughts on this so I just get on with things.  There doesn't seem much point in going back to the cardiologist as I can't see what they could do anyway.   I've been taking beta blockers for 25+ years (Sotalol until a year ago) but I do sometimes wonder if in fact it has all been a ghastly misdiagnosis and I could have gone on without any medication especially as the medics say SVT is not life threatening.  On the other hand my blood pressure is usually ok as are my arteries and I used to get painful migraines but only get the sight disturbance now.  If you have a lot of episodes of SVT then I would try the Bisoprolol for at least a couple of weeks if not longer before panicking and don't look for side effects - you might not have any.  Good luck.

• Posted

Interested to read your comments about the link between SVT and digestion. I couldn't see any obvious triggers for me apart from caffeine, so I avoid that now. And yes, I know some people who've been taking Bisoprolol (for different conditions) for years who haven't experienced any side effects. So don't dismiss out of hand. 

• Posted

I believe there is a link but can't find it. I have managed to stop it once by making myself gag which makes me think there is a link

• Posted

Caffeine usually makes me burp - there we are, indigestion again?  I am intrigued by the people who only take Bisoprolol when they have an SVT episode.  When I was diagnosed 25+ years ago I asked for something to take on an as and when basis (like a spray for Angina) but was put on permanent beta blockers.   My SVTs rarely last long, apart from the first one I was aware of all those years ago which went on for an hour, and so taking a beta blocker would be no use at all as it must take 30 mins to get into the system.   On the other hand perhaps the SVTs I do experience occasionally now are only brief because of the Bisoprolol.  Can anyone explain the reasoning behind taking Bisoprolol only during an SVT?
    • Posted

So good to finally read that Im not alone in it relating to digestion! I now have to drink water and make sure I burp after eating other wise I will get an episode, and my episodes take away my physical strength and make me dizzy which means I have to cancel clients at the last minute as I am unable to work

sometimes an episode can also occur just by a sudden movement or a slightly stressful thought

I've just been prescribed 2.5mg bisoprol, hence being on this thread

I have high BP but am otherwise healthy . after reading all on here I'm wondering weather episodes are better than continually feeling rough on bisoprol.

I'm also scared of the idea of ablation

• Edited

Hi Arillas

I am probably a lot older than you (75) and have some heart failure problems causing shortness of breath so I don't really know if I'm having SVTs which anyway were only occasionally bad. I don't remember any side effects when I started on Bisoprolol but I think it does slow everything down and I don't have much energy but that is no doubt my age and heart problems. I would try it, if you have horrible side effects then perhaps try another beta blocker. One thing I would suggest is talking to your doctor about anti acid medication because I still maintain that my SVTs mostly occur at the same time as indigestion. I take Omeprozole daily. Originally prescribed as a stomach protector when taking Ibuprofen but now to stop excess acid. The Bisoprolol should also help lower BP.Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.