Bisoprolol - I can’t seem to wean off - help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking bisoprolol 2.5 mg tabs for 7 weeks, after being diagnosed with paroxysmal Afib, which I've had for many years on and off, but was never 'caught' on an ECG. I have been suffering with severe anxiety for over 4 months and they helped that, though I haven't felt very well on them. Very lethargic, unable to concentrate and sleepy throughout the day. Also developed bad tinnitus. HR frequently 52-55 at rest, and my BP is low side of normal and always has been , I've never had high BP. I am seeing a cardiologist for first time in 3 days time for an echocardiagram and investigation . I have only ever spoken to my GP up to now about how i am feeling. When i told him my symptoms, he said to stop them. I was worried about how to do that and asked if i should taper. He said I didn't have to, but agreed it might be best. I broke a tab in half to 1.25 mg for two days and have been feeling worse. Anxiety, panic and headaches. I haven't slept very well either. I have been so low for ages and I was thinking to myself that staying on these must be better than any other drug that the hospital try and give me, as I'm scared about all the awful side effects of other AFib controlling medication. This morning, my HR rose to 100 just walking from the bed to the bathroom . I panicked and have taken a 2.5 mg dose again this morning. I now regret that and wish I had persevered. HR is dropping again. Would it be ok if i tried to reduce again tomorrow and keep to my decision? reading other threads, what i experienced was normal, but I'm scared if what I'm doing by going up and down. Thankyou

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi there I have just read about you trying to reduce bisoprolol, it took me 8 months to come off it completely but my withdrawal was exactly the same as what you are going through now. The sleepless nights the anxiety and agitation were horrible, breathlessness and rapid heartbeat were also bad. If you are withdrawing please try and stick with it knowing that you will eventually feel normal and it is well worth it in the end but even after you have stopped altogether you will still have many symptoms but the very slowly and gradually ease. I have now been totally off bisoprolol for 14 months and the palpitatations are getting easiers but I am still having a few every day. At the highest point of stopping biso I was having a missed heartbeat every third or 4th beat which was about 16000 missed beats a day. Doctors and consultants do not realise how bad withdrawal or long term after effects last but you will get there in the end.

Take care and keep up the good work of reducing

• Edited

I was told to just stop biso 5 days prior to having an ablation.

I asked it that was ok to just stop. I was reassured it was just fine. Well, it was not just fine.

I had such anxiety. So many side affects. The worst were the jelly legs that would not allow me to walk . They shook and and jittered so bad. I felt like I was falling apart.

These were stopped by my EP. I went to my family doctor, and he told me that this was plain anxiety He told me to take klonopin and trazadone.

What a mess I got myself into.

You see, I did not realize that these were withdrawal affects rom the biso because my EP told me that there is no withdrawal.

I went through hell.And even worse after taking those 2 drugs for 18 months, and having to slowly withdrawals from them.

If I had known that what I was experiencing was biso withdrawal, I would never have started those other 2 drugs.

If I knew then what I know now.........

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.