Bit of a silly question

Posted , 13 users are following.

I'm wondering what to pack for hospital. Specifically, will I need a warm dressing gown? We keep our house quite cool and we are already in fleecy dressing gowns. The thought of the thin cotton one I'd originally packed for my (cancelled) September operation makes me feel cold just to think about it. I've not stayed in hospital since I had my children (in spring) so I don't know how warm it's going to be. Any tips?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I took knee length nighties as these ae easie to get on and kept my hip accessible a lightweight gown hospitals can be quite warm, plenty of big knickers high leg but loose even if you have to buy some a size bigger than normal and disinfectant wipes for loo seats etc. along witj books puzzle books pens earphones phone charger and wash stuff
    • Posted

thanks for the tips. I was guessing it will  be pretty warm in hospital.
  • Posted

Hi angela

I've never been in cold hospital. Luckily I had my own room so could have the windows open.Apart from that I took lots of nighties and didn't get dressed until I left even though I had been told to bring loose fitting clothes to wear during the day.

Good luck with your op

Take care

Kate x

• Posted

Hospitals are always too warm. I took cotton jersey nightshirts because I like to be covered up but loose and cool, whatever you take make sure you have a few because you will want to change everyday. Loose knickers a must. If you need a mirror to dry your hair after washing take one with you, hospitals only have them in bathrooms where you can"t plug in a hairdryer. Best of luck hope you don"t get cancelled again!
    • Posted

Thank you. Loose knickers are a bit of a theme, I can see! I've decided not to bother with a hairdryer, I reckon that will be the last of my worries.
  • Posted

Hi Angela,

I was told by my pre op nurse to bring either pjs or a nightie that was satin as this aided the sliding bit you have to do to get out of bed etc. a light dressing gown as hospital is hot. Slippers, day clothes and shoes. Antibacterial hand wipes for hands before meals, loose change for trolley newspapers etc. reading material. Wash stuff, toothbrush etc.

hope this helps

Lyn

• Posted

Thanks Lyn. I've been told to bring in only what i need for the day and to get my husband to bring the rest in later, but only a small, small bag. Hence the question about my fleecy dressing gown, which would fill our smallest suitcase. I think I'm getting the message to leave it behind.
  • Posted

We had to bring street clothes, no pj's. They wanted us dressed in sweats and a tee or shorts and a tee everyday. They said we would be out of the bed most of the time and our PT was group PT with men and women so we had to be dressed. So I took 4 days worth of clothes, a pair of athletic shoes and a nightgown for bed. 
    • Posted

Are you in the US? I'm guessing from the language. It seems to be a different approach to the UK where everyone seems to be in night clothes all the time. Thanks though.
  • Posted

I brought PJs elasticed waist & with satin / slippy fabric bottoms & was really glad as it made moving the operated leg less tricky in bed - due to post op swelling it was like a log for a week or 2! I'd bring both gowns & send one home when you get a feel for the ward. Hope all goes well!!
    • Posted

Thank you Marie! It'll be nighties for me - can't bear anything on my legs in bed. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.