Bit of a silly question

Posted , 13 users are following.

I'm wondering what to pack for hospital. Specifically, will I need a warm dressing gown? We keep our house quite cool and we are already in fleecy dressing gowns. The thought of the thin cotton one I'd originally packed for my (cancelled) September operation makes me feel cold just to think about it. I've not stayed in hospital since I had my children (in spring) so I don't know how warm it's going to be. Any tips?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well Angela I have read your reply and I agree hospitals can be warm but can I just say when I was waiting for my operation it was freezing, I was freezing and had to be wrapped in warm blankets as I only took a light dressing gown.

Good luck with the op

• Posted

Thanks Cookie. The waiting around in the Admissions lounge was the thing i was thinking about, rather than being on the ward, where I can imagine it will be really warm. I might bring in my warm dressing gown for the wait and get hubby to bring the cooler things when he visits. No cases or phones allowed pre-op.
  • Posted

Not a silly question!  I took nighties and boxers (and I'm a woman)  The boxers gave me some modesty but they were easy to pull up to access the incision.  Short sleeve nightes are good (short sleeves for I.V.'s).  I took some loose street clothes for physical therapy.  I also took a soft, warm bed jacket which I ended up using more than I anticipated.  I alternated between being hot and cold.  Bring some toiletries, too.
    • Posted

Thanks Linda. I was wondering about borrowing some old boxers of my sons. I'm also going to take a fleece jacket. feeling pretty nervous now.
    • Posted

I wish I could talk you down from your nervousness but I think what you're experiencing is pretty par for the course.  I was nervous, too.  A lot of it is not knowing exactly what we're going to be facing.  No matter how much we try to prepare ourselves emotionally and otherwise, it's still scary.  Our experiences are similar while not being exactly the same.  Some have less pain, some more.  The hospital stay was rough for me but I lived through it and it's gotten better (I'm in week 7).  The first week is the hardest, I think most would agree.  I saw dramatic improvement between weeks 1 & 4 (I was off pain meds beginning week 3).  Then I overdid my physical therapy (feeling too self-confident) and back on pain meds at night weeks 5 & 6.  It's up and down for most of us.  Hang in and stay in touch with the forum for support and help.  It's been invaluable to me.  Hugs!
  • Posted

I forgot to say that the very best thing I took into hospital was my own pillow

Sooo nice to have soft cotton soft pillow

Take care

Kate x

• Posted

I am watching this thread as now preparing too, what shoes should we wear?
  • Posted

I'm in the uk too and I was advised to take pj's/ nighties for night time but sweats/shorts/tees/trackies for day time. I was only in the hospital 4 days but after the first day I was up and dressed in street clothes for the physio and walking around. The first days walking was just in my room so I was ok in pj's for that.

Also it was unbearably hot in there, I had my window open, my door open and they still brought me a fan 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.