Blood clot in lung (Pulmonary embolism)

Posted , 7 users are following.

Scared I've got this pulmonary embolism now! I've been quiet good with my health anxiety this year and haven't been to the doctors once in 2015. But i'm going through a really really bad patch of anxiety for the past two weeks and last night I went to play golf and was getting bad chest pains on the left hand side. I was just walking normally, wasn't rushing about or anything, but it just kept coming right from when I first got on the golf course. If i breathed in deep or hard it hurt too..

I've just got back from vegas 2 weeks ago where I did loads of walking where I was fine until the last day when we did a big shopping trip and we was walking all day and then at the end of the day I got a stabbing chest pain. 

Ive had every check possible done on my heart, ecg's, stress ecg's, 72 hour ecg, echocardiogram and all come back normal, now im worried i have this pulmonary embolism.. 

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm 23 years old by the way, meant to be going to the gym tonight as i'm trying to go past the anxiety but because of last night I'm not overly keen incase I get chest pain again.
  • Posted

With health anxiety, as you know by now ,if its not one thing then its another. You've have checks done,they've came back clear which is great. I know that even that reassurance isn't ever enough,there will always be some other worry to fill its place. All I can suggest is to see about therapy to discuss these things,it's the underlying anxiety which is the real issue, the health aspect is just an offshoot of the main anxiety
    • Posted

Yeah i know anxiety is the main factor, i just can't convince myself, i can't get my head around anxiety causing these chest pains its so draining.
    • Posted

Anxiety can and does cause any physical symptom u can imagine, which is why health anxiety is such a problem. I would advise against looking up any symptoms etc,you'll only convince yourself that you have whatever you read,we all do it,its terrible. By all means keep In touch with your doc but therapy is a better option
  • Posted

I have the same exact thing this week from doing a lot of physical exertion I normally don't do. Acid Reflux from stressing out about it was making it worse. From what I learned, if it hurts only when you move certain ways, it's probably a strain or pull. Also, if the pain is relieved by Ibuprofen, it's probably a strain or pull. Putting ice on it helps, too. (So did taking heartburn meds). 
    • Posted

I don't think i've got acid reflux though, was your just on one side? I didnt have any other symptoms apart from chest pain on the left side, i didnt have any breathlessness or anything. The pain was just enough to ignore but was stiill quite painful.
    • Posted

The acid refulx isn't causing my pain, just making it worse. I'm pretty sure it's from all the moving, gardening, and home repairs I've been doing the past few weeks. 

Look up a condistion called costochronditis. Many people go to ER because of this minor condition. I even saw where a doctor and nurse went to ER. As long as you don't have a "squeezing" type pain that isn't relieved by Ibuprofen, and you've been tested, it's probably costochondritis

• Posted

To answer your question, yes, it's only on one side -- the left side. Costochronditis usually happens on the left side for some reason. It feels like a bruised rib. 
  • Posted

Just one more thing . . . my brother had a Pulmonary embolism (from a blood clot) and his started with really swollen ankles, weakness and difficulty breathing. In other words, if you had that, you would know it! He doesn't like doctors, so he ignored the symptoms. He was put on blood thinners and dietary restrictions as is doing fine. 
  • Posted

If you had a pulmonary embolism surely it would of shown up in the tests?

I think to be honest you are stressed. About what I don't know. You have recently been on a long flight and you may have found this uncomfortable. You say you haven't been to your doctor in 2015, so now is the time for you to go. It doesn't matter what happened in 2014 or before. Now is the time you need to seek help.

• Posted

hi Gyda. it sound muscular to me - possibly overstretched ur chest muscles/chest wall.

ER thought for a moment it was a PE, they would have completed an x-ray/scan & also have checked ur blood viscosity. they are very alert to these possibilities. embolisms, tend to present in ppl who are older, & inactive. if it were a PE ud most lekely be coughing plus, plus, be breathless, or/and bringing up some blood stained sputum. u have most probably over done the golf swing at some point.

Caitlin

• Posted

I have had troublr breathing for months it started when I telephoned the doctor to make a appointment and I fell on the floor gasping for breath it came on suddenly and I havent been able to breath right since they said it was stress I had my chest xrayed and blood taken it was clear but the pain is still there I cant walk far without gasping for breath I cant sleep they have put me on pill heart blockers and painkillers it has eased but I still feel tightness on my chest when I walk or sit down in a position I use to be a active person now I feel like im old before my time if there is a solution to this problemI wish someone would help Iinstead of all theze pills
    • Posted

Have you tried Xanax or some other sedative? I had the same exact thing. Ended up in ER. Doc said it was Chronic Hyperventaliation Syndrome and gave me Xanax. That took care of it. It also helps to take a decongestant as soon as my sinuses get all stuffed up from allergies, otherwise, I breath through my mouth and it sets off the breathing problems. 
    • Posted

Thats sounds very helpful thanks I will try it can u buy ot over the counter at the chemist's at all and I have been using a nasal spray for my nose as I suffer with hayfever there was a suggestion about asthma but I have never suffered with that but thanks again for the advice are you able to go to work as my doc keeps signing me off because of this.

Thanks xmary

• Posted

Didnt the other doctor already out a stethoscope and listen to you breathe. They always do that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.