Borderline Hyperthyroidism

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi there, i have the following results TSH: 0.75 and Free T4: 23.1 (which is just above the "normal" range.) My Father also has Hyperthyroidism plus i have all the signs including fatigue, palpitations, sweating, low mood, feeling weak like im going to pass out plus many many more. These symptoms have got significantly worse over the last few weeks, however some of them have been aparent for sometime. Despite this my rather unhelpful doctor said to just monitor it. I feel very disapointed as i feel so unwell and believe my doctor just isnt taking me seriously. I wondered if anyone else has been treated for over active thyroid with similar borderline results. All other common blood test results were normal. Thanks, Sadie

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Sadie, have you been tested for autoimmune antibodies for Graves and Hashimoto's?  There's a lot you can do to help yourself.  Diet is very important.  Avoid Aspartame in particular and a healthy diet of protein, vegetables and fruit will help.  Supplements can help immensely.  I took them along with a low dose of Methimazole but I do know of some Graves patients and a Graves and Hashimoto patient who took them on their own, Regular L-Carnitine, Vitamin D3 gelcaps, Magnesium, Bugleweed, Melissa and Motherwort.  They will help normalize your levels and help you to feel better.
    • Posted

Hi Linda, 

I haven't had any further tests as of yet, I will have all of these at my forthcoming appointment with an Endochrinologist. I have an appointment tomorrow as I've decided to go private. I just wondered if anyone else has had treatment with similar results? 

• Posted

I would think most docs would not treat as long as your TSH is normal.  I know for myself I started to feel it and had similar results about one month before it became really apparent and my TSH dropped from the normal range to 0 and my Free T3 and Free T4 rose higher out of range.  So it is good you have caught it early.  You also may have results like these because of nodules and not an autoimmune disease.  My results were tested about a month later at which time my TSH had dropped from normal to 0 and then I was referred to an Endo for diagnosis.  I think your plan is wise and you obviously are aware of your body and that something is not right there.
  • Posted

Are you taking any vitamins?  When you are hyperthyroid, it's very important to take extra B1 - thiamine.  This will help with all of your symptoms:  heartbeat irregularities, low mood, fatigue, etc.   

If you still have issues after taking B1 (should feel better within hours after taking), then try a B complex.  Actually, you should probably take a B-complex anyway because hyperthyroidism speeds up your metabolism so that you use up these vitamins quickly, and the body doesn't store them in large quantities.  

A good multivitamin is a good idea if you are not already taking one.

• Posted

Hi I first had bloods taken at the end of October when I was in hospital for my heart (atrial fibrillation). I had a very low TSH but normal t4 and t3. Nothing was done initially but they rechecked my bloods after 4 weeks to see if it had been due to illness and had normalised. It hadn't so my cardiologist then referred me to an endo. I was tested for Graves which was negative and the endo requested a radionuclide scan. I waited about a month before this scan, but my endo got the results in less than a week. He's now asked that I start taking carbimazole only 10mg a day and I'm seeing him again on the 16th to find out what he's seen on the scan.

I don't think gps can just prescribe carbimazole without instruction from an endo so you should have been referred. My endo took a lot of notice of my symptoms and not just the bloods which was great.

• Posted

It's great to hear that your endo was more helpful. There was no offer from the GP to go to the endo so I asked him to do a private referral which he has done. Seeing my endo today! 

• Posted

Keep us informed what the Endo says Sadie and Good luck...also Camile keep coming back to this forum and get support you need ok

stay well peeps xx

• Posted

Hello. I know that your post is from two years ago but I just happened to be stumbling across it. You may have gotten some other form of treatment by now but I am a holistic health practitioner who works with this often. I often come across people whose numbers are in the normal range but just on the border and they have all the symptoms of hyperthyroidism. A number of the doctors will not treat them but do send them to psychologist who then treat them for anxiety disorders and put them on all sorts of medications that don’t really do much good. They still continue to have all the symptoms of hyperthyroidism and actually seem to get worse. An herbal combination of bugleweed, mother wort,  and lemon balm in equal parts is recommended, and usually start people on about 20 drops 2 to 3 times a day. It is important that you tell your physician that you’re doing this as it can put a person into hypo thyroidism, And one should be monitoring their TSH, T4, T3 levels. Those should be checked every 3 to 4 months to make sure that you’re not being sent to the hypothyroidism. 
    • Posted

Hi Kris, It's surprising and interesting that the herbs you mention "can put a person into hypothyroidism". Are you saying that taking the herbs alone (without anti-thyroid meds) can lower T4 T3 from hyper to hypo level? It seems if it is true, the herbs cannot be expected to help recover immune disorder and achieve normal thyroid level? Do you have an example(s) that people/patient take the herbs alone (without anti-thyroid meds) and make a complete recovery back to normal health? Please share. Thank you.

• Posted

There is a Naturopath who had Graves disease  himself and he got into remission using only natural herbs and diet.  People who have Hashimoto's disease or a combination of Graves and Hashimoto's are more sensitive and often go hypo with treatment.  I have Graves disease alone and last test indicated my antibodies were non-detectable.  Normalizing all my thyroid values, i.e. TSH, free T3 and free T4 I think is what did it.

• Posted

Hmm... All who followed Naturopath, either medical professionals with the autoimmune disorder or autoimmune patients, I have known, and cured/recovered from the diseases, have stated/advised taking standard meds with Naturopath treatments together is probably the best approach for the condition. But none of them ever warned about taking herbs alone (without anti-thyroid med) may invert hyper to hypo condition?  I am puzzled...
    • Posted

This Naturopath who did this knows a lot and shares a lot of information for free on his website.  I am one who takes a low dose of meds with supplements but meds alone would not raise my TSH.  I think Graves patients need meds although he was a Graves only patient and got recovery with herbs.  From what I have seen on the Boards, Graves patients do well if they take the lowest dose of meds along with supplements.  However, Hashimoto patients don't do well with meds because the meds are too strong for them and they bounce from hyper to hypo and back.  The ones I have known have controlled their disease better with Regular L-Carnitine.  Even those who have both diseases are more sensitive to meds and bounce back and forth from hyper to hypo.

• Posted

Even the naturopath you mentioned recovered from GD only through natural treatments, I did not aware he had encouraged/promoted strict natural treatments w/o standard meds - I could be wrong though. I think Hashi antibodies attack/destroy thyroid cells and it is very difficult or takes a long time to revert the damage even through natural treatment. But I had no experience with Hashi condition though.
  • Posted

Hi sadie my name is andy and i had tonsillitis in sept and then ad a tonsil stone also since then been aving a feeling of lump in throat since av ad blood test test which says im on borderline overactive thyroid i have also had chest xray which came bk clear and also a camera down throat which everything was ok im feeling anxious all the time and just cant relax even though i try any one else experiening this

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.