Botched operation

Posted , 1 user is following.

After waiting many years for a haemorrhoidectomy I was finally put on a waiting list and I had my operation a couple of weeks ago. The colorectal consultant that referred me assured me several times that skin tags are always removed at the same time. On the day I discover that I'm going to be operated on by a surgeon I've never seen before. After the operation I discover that I still have my skin tags. I ask the surgeon why and they just said that "they didn't see any that they could remove", no further explanations given. I have been told by doctors before that they are tags, so why would they not be able to remove them?

Flash forward two weeks after the operation, and I see my gp because the wound is now infected and the antibiotics (fluxclocaxillin) they prescribed without seeing me in person a few days ago are not helping. I ask about the skin tags and she just say that no, they're external haemorrhoids, that what I was having issues with was internal haemorrhoids as "external ones don't bleed" and that's why they only removed the internal ones. I was vocal to the referring consultant that the external whatever they are bothering me, so why would they ignore them?

I'm extremely upset because of this. I can live with them botching it and me having to pay privately to have the tags removed but if they're haemorrhoids it's a whole different thing. I'd need another big operation and frankly, I'd feel like all the immense pain these last two weeks would be for nothing. I have a follow up appointment but it's in three months and also not even in person. The surgeon has told me that from now on, all queries should go to my gp. I don't know what to do, I feel like I don't even know what I have left down there and there's no one that I can actually ask.

How likely is it that they'd just leave the external haemorrhoids when operating? Is it even likely that they are haemorrhoids? They're very swollen right now, but before they were very skin like.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.