Bruises 18 months after tkr

Posted , 6 users are following.

My total knee replacement was January 2014.  Consistent but not excruciating pain ever since.  About a month ago I suddenly had a large dark bruise on my knee, but I had not hit it.  It was not the usual bruise because it began to dissapate the next day.  There have been three more smaller bruises in same spot since then, always dissolving and spreading the next day.  I'm a 79 year old female and we all know how long bruises last at that age.  Going to see surgeon tomorrow.  Scared to death of what he will say, but I've made up my mind to get a second opinion if he even mentions revision surgery.  Anyone else have anything like this?

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Monica..yes i have had..turned out that i had pulled a ligament..the bruise just popped up and then went away but the area was still sore...i had to wear tape on it and take it easy. Hope it's the same for you xx
    • Posted

Donna, I've given a lot of thought to your reply as it was the first possibility that didn't involve revision surgery.  About two months ago I was given Levaquin for an infection and had a terrible reaction.  Ruptured tendons are a black box warning on Levaquin, especially in older people.  I didn't have a ruptured tendon but very sore shoulders and GP put my arm in a sling.  Now wondering if that would have anything to do with it.  Will report this evening after 2:30 appointment.  Thanks again.
  • Posted

Hi,granmonica. I am 22 months post knee replacement and just recently have had the same! I don't know the reason why,tho'. I know my replacement is too big for me and misaligned so I put it down to this causing small amounts of damage to tiny blood vessels which give rise to bleeding/bruising.
    • Posted

Why is your knee replacement too big and misaligned? Who has your surgeon?

I had TKR 3 years ago and had an escellent consultant.

No chance of being the wrong size or misaligned there.

Maybe I iwas just lucky?

Sarah

• Posted

I am curious, same as Sarah87162, why is your joint too big, they are made to fit.
    • Posted

Hi sara and sueisobel

my new knee was never right but the surgeon told me to get on with my life and give it time. By Feb this year I had had enough and got another opinion and his diagnosis was as I have said. My problems were continuing pain,instability and only 90 degree bend. The surgeon worked at a local private hospital which takes NHS patients although he also works for the NHS.

• Posted

Saw the surgeon this afternoon.  He had never seen anything like my problem, called in another of the senior surgeons.  He had never seen it either.  Xrays showed nothing.  Sending me for a bone scan and blood work.  Still a mystery.
  • Posted

Every now and then you will have tiny blood vessels bleeding under the skin, maybe caused whilst your were sleeping. if it is not painful, don't worry.  You are going to see your surgeon, hopefully he will put your mind at ease.  If not, your GP will. Don't think  your age has anything to do with it (79 is the new middle ages).
    • Posted

There has been pain ever since the surgery, and I still ice it once or twice a day after all this time.  This doesn't seem much worse but still worried.
    • Posted

Not sure yet, waiting for a call.  Do you know anything about bone scans?  I'm getting leary of anything doctors tell me.
    • Posted

They are most probably testing the density of your bones.  If they don't call soon, call them.  You cannot have your life on hold for the sake if a phone call. Try and relax
    • Posted

Testing is scheduled for Friday Oct 6.  They're checking to see if there could be a bone chip or something the xrays missed the cause of the blood spot.  It bothers me a little that radioactive dye is injected in order to do the scan.  Oh, well, we'll see what happens. I've said before that I could live with the pain but would like to know if it will get worse or fail completely.  Or lead to death by blood clots.
    • Posted

You poor thing, the least the doctors could have done is put your mind at ease.  The radioactive dye is nothing to worry about; it just shows up on the scan better, then they can see if there are leaks in your veins.  Please don't quote me on this but, I think if it was clots you won't necessarily get the clots, but you would get pain. We could go one and one, supposing and all that will happen is you getting upset.

Come next Friday you will know, in the meantime, keep busy,  (try to)stop worrying, the week will pass quicker x

• Posted

Thanks for your support.  I'm not really stressing about the test.  I guess i have just gotten cynical about doctors and medicine in general.  You see a commercial for a new drug, then the next one is for an attorney for those suffering from side effects.  Or one for another drug to counteract the side effects of the first one.  And I'm kicking myself for having the tkr to start with.
    • Posted

Hopefully in the long run, you will be as good as new and running round like a spring lamb

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.