Bruises 18 months after tkr

Posted , 6 users are following.

My total knee replacement was January 2014.  Consistent but not excruciating pain ever since.  About a month ago I suddenly had a large dark bruise on my knee, but I had not hit it.  It was not the usual bruise because it began to dissapate the next day.  There have been three more smaller bruises in same spot since then, always dissolving and spreading the next day.  I'm a 79 year old female and we all know how long bruises last at that age.  Going to see surgeon tomorrow.  Scared to death of what he will say, but I've made up my mind to get a second opinion if he even mentions revision surgery.  Anyone else have anything like this?

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Got the bone scan.  Very inconclusive, "may indicate right knee replacement hardware loosening involving only the tibial component."  Surgeon said he couldn't guarantee any improvement with a revision.  Good thing because I wasn't about to have one anyway.  Blood work shows high hemocrit and high hemogloblin.  Going to family practice doctor next.  Not too worried about it.
    • Posted

At least he was being "honest" with you.  Good luck with your doctor, I think you deserve your mind being put to rest one way or another.  Don't beat yourself up over the TKR, the positive on that is that you have a stable joint (as opposed to a crumbling one), fingers crossed your doctor will have a solution for you and that everthing will settle down. x
    • Posted

The surgeon did note on the blood work "polycythomia but no infection markers" so I'm taking a copy of that and the bone scan to GP and see if he thinks is going on.  I've learned that polycythomia just means an unknown blood disorder.  Thanks for your note and good wishes.  Hope you are doing well.
    • Posted

It's just like trying to unravel a knotted ball of wool.  Why on earth can't they speak in a language one can understand, instead of blinding one with science.  Sweetie,I wish you well and good luck with your visit to the doctor. Keep your chin up and (stamp) your feet down xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.