Bulge after incisional hernia.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi. 11 months ago I had a large incisional hernia repaired using a 'dinner plate size of mesh.' The original incision was from a bowel cancer operation and there is a 22cm scar. The surgeon said there would be a bulge left, but it is the size of half a small football. My Dr says it is not a failure of the surgery or a recurrence of the hernia, so my thinking is that it is my remaining bowel etc pushing on the mesh, or simply fat. I am 96kg, (my scales say 90kg, first thing in the morning with no clothes!) I am as active now as I was before the first surgery but wear a corset during the day. I might have posted something similar on here before, but wonder if there are people out there with similar queries or opinions. Thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi John I guess that equates to just over 15 stone.  Just wondered how have you checked to see if you are overweight, If you are could you manage to loose a bit and see what happens, better than more interventions.  I have just been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease related to my thyroid and I have bought 2 books recently the paleo approach and the paleo cookbook,  this approach to food is recommended for those with immune disease and since using the cookbook and following the advise I have shed a few pounds and my stomache is much flatter.  Just a thought hope you dont think I am being impertinent.
    • Posted

Thanks Shirley. No, of course you not being impertinent! You are probably right about the weight, but after I lost nearly 2 stone about 8 years ago, I am still the same weight as then, but didn't seem to have the bulge, or so much of one anyway. It might be something to do with the mesh. I lost that weight in 3 months by cutting out All fattening foods such as ice cream, savouries etc and using a low calorie drink for my lunch. So I could do it again for a while before my next check up in January, but this time of year is not too good for dieting! My Dr said to walk for 30 minutes or so each day weather permitting. It's Spring where I live so the days will get warmer and sunnier. I'll look up the books you mentioned. I just wondered if anyone had noticed a bulge after a similar mesh repair. But I know you are right, I am overweight. But I will continue to believe that my scales are accurate, not the Dr's. Perhaps somewhere in between...

Thanks again for your reply. 

• Posted

Oops. The reply I just posted is waiting to be moderated. Maybe because I mentioned a brand name or it's out of working hours in the U.K. Watch this space...
  • Posted

ps books by sara ballantyne
    • Posted

Hello again. Have just been reading the posts I wrote and the answers about a year ago. Not much seems to have changed and I apologise for repeating myself. Yes Shirley, I will try to lose a few pounds. I'm sure that is the major reason for the bulge. The post being moderated just had a few details of weight loss etc and the name of the product used to help achieve this. Thanks for your comments. 😊
  • Posted

Hi John I'm not much help with the hernia as mine was repaired just over 13 months ago and i dont have any, bulge but I only lost between 12 and 14 inches of my colon, you may have lost more bowel than me.  I have 1 massive vertical cut and another massive horizontal cut where I had abdominaplasty to repair my abdomen as I had 4 previous ops prior to my repair.  The paleo approach is a fantastic way to manage your weight and all you have to do is buy, eat and cook fabulous food, nothing else needed it is very bowel friendly, I am completely recovered from reflux and abdominal pain after just 3 weeks of starting the programme, no lanzapozole for me now.  That's all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.