burning 5 minutes AFTER waking up?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, I seem to get burning starting in my chest 5 minutes after waking up. Does anyone know why this would be? If the acid is coming up at night surely it would burn as soon as I wake up? I don't eat or drink anything in the first 5 minutes of getting up?! Does anyone else get this?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,gemscott54, with me I think I have figured that it is because I have a hiatal hernia ( approx 60% of over 50's have one,some without knowing it) and I think when laying down the hernia lies in a better position but upon rising if a sliding hernia,I believe it protrudes into the diaphragm (especially if constipated which some ppi meds cause and makes the reflux worse and cause a feeling of breathlessness and fullness in neck.i now do the water trick in the morning ( drink 1 pint warm water and then go from tiptoe to heel 10 times to help pull hernia down- works well) Keep bowels going and try Gaviscon if not on meds. Get it checked at doctors especially if you suspect Barrett's Oesophagus. Good luck 

• Posted

Hi, thanks for the reply. I haven't had a y tests yet but in case it is a hernia I'll try the water trick. It cant do any harm! The doctor want me to try PPI meds for long enough before they refer me to an ENT but if they don't work after the next 2weeks they should refer me. I've only had reflux type symptoms for about 5 months. It started off subtle and seems to have gotten worse this last 2months (since I've noticed it, it gets me stressed which unfortunately I think is the cause of it getting worse recently!). Hopefully it wouldn't be anything like barretts given how recent its been. Funny you should say about the throat fullness on PPI's. I didn't have the lump in throat feeling until I started them.

• Posted

Yes,it's because the ppi's lower the acid that they seem to slow digestion and cause a bit if constipation,so keep up fibre and good fats. My GP has switched me from Lansoprozole to Omoprozole  and it has improved for me. Also the acid can cause irritation in the throat and swelling. Yes I think anxiety makes it worse. Once the feeling starts I get quite down about it- never had anything affect me so much . I panic about swallowing and choking,especially Inge things like leafy lettuce- I cut it up really small. Also your body makes extra mucus to weaken the acid and that can make throat feel full and congested- it's all a vicious circle. Try and eat small meals,not too spicy,not too late in the day and drink plenty of fluids. All the best. Update me on how you get on 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.