Acid reflux, hiatal hernia and heart palpitations

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've learned a few things after suffering 20 years with acid reflux. If you don't learn how to care for it early it will only get worse. I'm now in my 50's. I partied just like the other kids in college. Lots of beer. Today I am paying for the damage I caused myself. I have a hiatal hernia. I belch after meals. Food gets stuck in my throat. Acid reflux is so bad I have been coughing for two months straight and I now have asthma the doctors say is caused by severe acid reflux. I suffer. But I have made good changes this year. First. I take a antacid before every meal. My bed is raised 4 inches at the head. I eat slowly. I avoid processed foods and fats. I juice in the mornings. I eat smaller meals more often. I drink tumeric, ginger and honey in hot water to reduce inflammation. This instead of Advil which is not good for your kidneys per reports. And I avoid proton pump inhibitors for the same reason. The heart palpitations occur when there is gas pressure but also when taking Zantac. I drink water and walk to burp and the palpitations usually stop. I know about the depression about losing your food freedom but the good news is that all of this is working. Probiotics are important to keep immune system healthy and omega fatty acids help the body and heart. This is a good start. Baby your body to avoid cancer. I hope it's not too late for me. I hope it's early enough for you. Hang in there. And if anyone knows anything that will help I would appreciate it. God bless.

3 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

You have pretty much described my symptoms. Tell me about food getting stuck. I have had an endoscopy and the doctor said that she dilated my esophogus. I feel that the reflux is better but I still choke at times. That is the scariest part. I feel like I can't get food up or down. I think one day that it's going to be the the way I die. Do you have this same problem? The gastroenterologist doesn't know what else to do for this. They don't seem to understand. I have had an allergy test and all came up negative. My nose is stuffy most of the time with post nasal drip. I don't know what else to do.

Thank you

• Posted

Did the test show hiatal hernia? Choking can be neurological too. But if you had a scope, it should tell you about why food is getting stuck. If you do all of the right things (follow the suggestions I posted) you can begin feeling better. I am. Raise the head of your bed 4 inches.Swallow your food with a little water every time.Always have water. But dont drink too much of it as you eat. Don't eat less than 3 hours before bedtime. Take an antacid before lunch and dinner. Stay away from greasy foods. Stay away from acidic foods (tomatoes, etc.), and the rest of the things I wrote previously.  Regarding your nose, try Simply Saline...it's just a natural saline spray that helps to moisten your nose and throat. It will help wash away allergens. Hope this helps. Just suggestions...but they have helped me.

• Posted

Hi Pamela

I have had chronic reflux for 3 yrs now but I've never experienced food not going down. However my mum over the yrs has had this alot and use to experience very sharp chest pains. Many yrs later my mum has discovered she has a very rare disease called Achalasia. Thus is where the eosaphagus does not work properly and does not push the food down. A barium swallow can help the diagnosis and so does. 24 hr pH study. She is stage 3 of disease (Auto immune disease). Not much can be done for her as there is no cure.

Where do you live? If you are in UK the best doc for this disease is in Guildford surrey. That's if u have it of course. Hopefully u don't!

All the best dom

• Posted

Google "Food getting stuck in throat". There are lots of different causes. And it's part of lots of different sypmtoms too. For me, sometimes the reflex to swallow just stops. It's the scarrist thing! Are you over weight at all? Do you have anxiety at all? If there is lots of fat around the throat, it can cause sleep apnea- my husband has it. It can interfere with breathing, eating, etc.  Also, anxiety disorder and other neuroligical problems can cause swollowing difficulties. I take Clonazapam for anxiety and so I can relax when I eat sometimes. I tend to eat too fast when I am anxious. Also, I have lost 20 lbs. which has helped my breathing, and energy level.

• Posted

Hi I get all the same symptoms and other symptoms 2 .I have barrets osaphagus and silent reflux. I am 30 years old .I do have the occasional beer and a red wine every now and then .

but I do try to eat clean now and limit what I out in my body .as I am scared that's how I will die osaphagus cancer .my grandad had barrets for 40 years .he did drink most days tho and he passes away from osaphagus cancer this year .and it is a horrible way to go out .

When I go on holiday I have a couple of bottles of beer a day and take gaviscon before and after I do so .

I have had barrets for about 6 -7 years or so now.

I suffer on a daily basis with bad symptoms get fed up to be honest .I do hope you will be OK and I am sure you will. Stay clean and positive

• Posted

Hi Dean. I had to stop drinking completely. In fact, drinking is what got me to where I am today. If you want to get better, say bye to the beer. I know. It's hard. It's depressing, but I have been able to live 20 years without alcohol. I've done enough damage and it's time to take care of my health. Cancer is nothing to mess with. You don't have to suffer. There is surgery for Hiatal Hernia. Follow all of the tips I have learned and I think you will be able to heal.  My doctor said, "You Need a more powerful antacid like Previced to stop the acid so your esophogus can heal."  He's right I'm afraid. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi thanks for reply .very very true what you are saying to be honest I am going to give it up fully . I go away to Spain for 4 nights with my friend on Saturday for he's birthday to be honest I don't drink that much .but I no when I do drink it's causing problems with throat .stomach etc. Chest .I may have 1 bottle of beer for he's birthday then I am going to call It a day as I get scared of what could come 1 day .

I gave up the beer once for 18 months didn't have a drop .then I randomly started having a few here and there again .

My diet is good at minute so I am eating healthy .just trying to sort my life out 1 step at a time.

But I no the symptoms I get are not nice .carnt breath through my nose .feel like carnt breath through mouth. Chest pains. Sore throat .etc.

I just hope 1 day I will feel better and not Ill all the time .how old are you now if you do not mind me asking

• Posted

I wish you well. I think I can't complain yet after I learned about your cases. Though my chest pains due to trapped burb is uncomfortable.

• Posted

It's tough......The coughing is SO severe and exhausting, words can't describe......For me the awful  cough, where I am sick and can't  catch my breath very easily went away, but for some unknown reason has re appeared.  I have absulutely no idea why......

• Posted

Hi,

I have had barium swallow, endoscopy, and colonoscopy. I just had an allergy testAll negative! My main problem is choking and food not going down sometime. I think I will need a second opinion. When I start to choke or hard for food to go down, I get a lot of mucus after and hard to clear my throat. This is very annoying. I'm lost. Don't know what other test to have. They say they see nothing and all is clear. I know that I have reflux etc raise the bed and all those things!!

• Posted

Hi Pamela

I think you really need to have a 24 hr pH study. This is where they put a device up ur nose and down ur throat and it records whether u r getting reflux and whether ur eosaphagus is working and pushing food down. Do liquids get stuck as well as food?

Best wishes Dom

• Posted

Thanks Dom,

That test sounds terrible! No just food, but when it won't go down, water won't either. Very scary. Have you ever had that test and what will they do about it?

• Posted

Your welcome Pamela

I'll be honest it's not the nicest thing in the world but I didn't find it too bad. The nurse who did it had had it done it herself and she was so lovely she really made me feel relaxed. If u can stay relaxed and calm it really helps.

Keep in touch Pamela let me know how u get in.

Kindest regards

Dom

• Posted

Also Pamela try to eat little but often and chew ur food really well. My mum who has Achalasia doesn't eat late. Plus she avoids bread and red meat. She only eats small portions of meat. She finds eating gluten free bread better. Goes down better? She's not celiac though. Getting ur nutrients in liquid form might help. Do u have nutribullet. They r brill. U can do a veggie and fruit drink with some protein ie yogurt or nuts or brown rice protein powder. It's important u get quality protein. Especially if ur not eating much meat. Good luck hun.

Dom x

• Posted

I can relate with what you're going through. It makes so difficult to sleep whenever I'm having an episode.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.