Can anyone recommend a Prostate Cancer diet, if there is such a thing?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

My dad was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer a few weeks ago. He has a Gleason score of 7 (4+3), and will be attending for his PSA test results mid-December.

At this point, we're in the early stages of his diagnosis and we don't know what we will be doing in terms of treatment (if any) until we visit with the doctor and get his PSA test results in December.

Upon hearing of his diagnosis, I did some research and found that diet can seemingly affect Prostate Cancer, PSA scores, etc., and help manage it, prevent it, etc.

We therefore decided to change my dad's diet and now he has more of a strict eating regimen. We've cut out red meat, dairy, any saturated fats, sugars, etc., and he's now eating more fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean chicken/turkey, green tea, water, etc. My dad has always eaten pretty healthy, due to my mom's influence (and mine), but now he's eating cleaner and much more healthy.

The things is, he's becoming frustrated over this diet and wants to eat things like lean red meat, hamburgers, ribs, etc.

My questions therefore are:

1. Do you find a change in diet helps (that's if you've been diagnosed with prostate cancer)?
  2. If so, what do you eat?
  3. Do any of you eat lean (organic) red meat?
  4. Any suggestions on tasty meals?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you! 😃

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I am assuming since you have a Gleason score he had a Biopsy. This provides accuracy and stage for cancer. PSA's are just an indicator of cancer. i have read that certain foods can raise PSA scores. My biopsy showed I had cancer and I elected to have my prostate removed 3-1/2 weeks ago. I feel great and the post biopsy showed all the cancer is not present outside the prostate. I still have a long road of gaining bladder control back. Others on here said it takes +3 months. For a lot of people choosing the treatment seems to be based on age. I would recommend getting more than one opinion on treatment.

Kirk

• Posted

Hi Kirk,

My dad had TURP surgery back in October for BPH. When we got the results back of the biopsy a few weeks ago, the doctor advised that they found a small tumour and that my father has a Gleason score of 7 (4+3). So yes, it was the biopsy that confirmed the cancer. He hasn't had any other tests done yet to date.

Based on my research, it does seem that diet can play a big role in managing cancer. Red meat seems to be one of the worst foods anyone can eat when it comes to Prostate Cancer. But then again, I don't think it's all that healthy for anyone to be eating, especially on a frequent basis.

My dad is considering the possibility of having his prostate removed, but it all depends on what his surgeon advises when we go in for his appointment mid-December. I'm doing research in the meantime to ensure we're well aware of our options.

• Posted

I've successfully used diet as a treatment/control for prostate cancer for 12 years and it works, but it is a strict regime. I eat no animal products of any kind with the exception of about 4 oz of white meat fish no more than once to twice a week. I would recommend staying away from all meat including chicken, turkey, etc. and definitely not adding lean meat back in. Of course everyone is free to eat what he wants, but my observation is that the results will correspond to the choices. You may want to take a look at nature's cancer fighting foods by verne varona. Good luck

• Posted

Thank you for the book recommendation, light! Will check it out.

I was questioning whether chicken and turkey should be eliminated from his diet, but, what does someone eat for protein?

I even read that eggs are not good for prostate cancer either - and I always considered them to be a super food!

Can I ask what your initial diagnosis was 12 years ago? Gleason score, if you had treatment, etc.

Did you immediately change your diet following the diagnosis? What do you eat, drink?

How has this diet helped you manage/treat the cancer?

You don't have to answer these questions obviously, light. I'm just wondering if I can apply your experience to my dad's situation.

• Posted

PS Forgot to mention I have been closely monitored by an excellent urologic oncologist, with regular PSA, ultrasound, and MRI tests as well as PCA3 and similar molecular tests. Diet can be effective but you need to keep a close watch so the situation does not get away from you.

Best wishes,

• Posted

I am unaware that diet will get rid of PCa once a person has it.

Eating well certainly cannot hurt a person's general health, but hoping a diet will help in this case is like asking a person with terminal lung cancer to stop smoking. I doubt if stopping smoking once a person has a bad case of lung cancer makes a difference.

• Posted

Hi barney,

I'm not aware of a change in diet getting rid of prostate cancer altogether once someone is diagnosed, but it's my understanding that it can help prevent cancer cells from spreading. A good diet helps manage it and keep it under control.

My sister in law's uncle was diagnosed with stage 4 prostate cancer 3 years ago, and a change in diet has helped him immensely.

I've also read on here today some posts about how eating a healthy diet has reduced PSA test results for some after being diagnosed with prostate cancer (and maybe being treated, but they didn't mention this in their posts) - which is great!

• Posted

Well it is true that some foods are good to consume even if one has PCa. Cranberries and cranberry juice is one example.

• Posted

Cancer is treatable in various ways, but if terminal it cannot be cured. Its good to nip it in the bud early. I do not think changing diet affects cancer.

• Posted

I agree. Changing to a good diet may help a patient before cancer sets in but after cancer is diagnosed and treated, it's a bit like asking a bladder cancer patient to stop drinking. It's not like stopping an alcoholic will reverse the cancer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.