Can someone with acute kidney failure in the uk refuse dialysis?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Just wondering?  I know patients of ckd can refuse dialysis when they get to the stage where they require dialysis but could someone who suffers from sudden acute renal failure refuse dialysis too?  Thanks.  

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I don't see why not. I would assume they would need to carry a DNR.

• Posted

Why do you want to refuse dialysis .... you dont want to have pain and maybe die ? 
    • Posted

It is merely a question.  I only asked because someone had a similar query with regards to refusing dialysis at stage 4/5 ckd.
    • Posted

Hi,

How do you know you feel pain when you die from renal failure? any neph I speak to say its the nicest way to go and completely painless?

• Posted

Thank you - that is comforting to know x
    • Posted

Thats nice. But you still die without dialysis, unless thats the aim. 
    • Posted

Yes, I know you can die without dialysis but that is not why I asked the question.  I was merely asking if you could say no to dialysis in the uk if you are diagnosed with acute kidney failure.  I wasn't saying that I have decided to say no!

• Posted

OK, i guess you can say no; its your choice.
    • Posted

Your choice is to die? 
    • Posted

Yes, we all have different circumstances, different medical conditions and different opinions on here.  No one is the same and no one has the right to judge others.
    • Posted

Thank you - if I ever suffer from acute kidney failure in the future then I will make my decision then.
    • Posted

So, what are you sufferring from now ? 
    • Posted

CKD stage 3b and other medical conditions
    • Posted

Yes, but I have other medical conditions too and I have gone from stage 1-2-3a-3b in less that 6 months.
    • Posted

yes, thats very fast. What are those medical conditions .... are  affecting your kidneys so much
    • Posted

Sorry I dont wish to discuss them on a public forum

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.