Can someone with acute kidney failure in the uk refuse dialysis?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Just wondering?  I know patients of ckd can refuse dialysis when they get to the stage where they require dialysis but could someone who suffers from sudden acute renal failure refuse dialysis too?  Thanks.  

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Treatment cannot be imposed against the patient's express wishes as long as this has been communicated clearly.

• Posted

Hello, TCake. You can refuse any treatment for any condition, and renal failure is no different. I refused to go on the transplant waiting list and I have always refused dialysis, even now I am at stage 5 and in the hands of the end-of-life nursing team.

We all have our reasons and no-one here is going to judge you whatever you decide. Perhaps you should make it clear to your nephrologist before things get worse. It might also be a good idea to look into a formal DNR -- it isn't as scary as it sounds. (I also have a DNR tattoo on my chest, just in case!)

Live each day as it comes, and God bless you.

• Posted

Thank you Bert.  You sound like you know what you are doing and have made the right decision for 'you' and that is what matters most. I hope your journey goes well and God bless you too xxxx

• Posted

I understand multiple conditions and end of life choices. We should all feel free to travel the path that is best for us. That in no way implies that any of us want to die. I respect the choice of all in this forum. I'm just sorry that we all have to be here making these decisions. The blessing is that we do have THIS GROUP and sharing of our knowledge and experience is so powerful and comforting. Take Care TCake and everyone else.

• Posted

I asume you can refuse dialysis everywhere. It is usually not forced on anyone. Most people go on it because their family insist that they go on it to prolong their lives or they choose to go to dialysis.

I knew one day that I was going to be on dialysis since 1985, when I was first diagnosed with two kidney disorders. One being minimal change and the other focal segmental glomerosclerosis.

In 2013, I was in stage 4, having horrible pain in my calves called claudation. Plus water leakage out of my ankles and feet. Plus edema and leg ulcers that wouldn't heal. At the time I thought I was gaining weight but my whole body was swollen..Eventually my kidneys failed on February 21, 2014, which was resolved with dialysis. My choice. I live in the US.

Everone has a choice to go to dialysis or not. I don't know any medical doctor or facility that can force you to get dialysis.

But the end result will be death. Because without dialysis your body cannot function correctly. Several.people at my dialysis center have died either one month after stopping dialysis or the next day after receiving dialysis. It also depends on your overall health.

One woman just had a grandson but wanted to stop dialysis so I told her so you want to die and you won't see your grandson grow up, she thought for a second and decided she would continue to get dialysis for the sake of her grandson.

So you see everyone has choices to live or die. You have to decide which direction you will follow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.