Skip to content

Kidney Failure and CKD

Also known as CKD - Chronic Kidney Disease, Dialysis - Kidney, Renal Failure

All discussions in this group

Next
  • KIdney lab results confusing

My eGFR has dropped from 70 to 55 and holding around 53 for 3 years. Creatinine is up from 1.06 to 1.12. Bun/C ratio 15, albumin 4.1, BUN 17.  Do I need cystatin c test? I do have trace amount of blood in urine and have had moderate leukocytes in urine off and on for years. I have urinary retention...

Last reply
  • Water and Fasting Effect on Blood Test eGFR

Had an interesting experience this past week regarding my blood work.  For those who do not know I am 68, had one kidney removed on July 31st.  Male.  Immediately after operation my egfr was 35 for a while.  then went to 38, 39 range.  Then this past Friday I had blood work done...

Last reply
  • I think I have kidney disease and I'm terrified.

Hi I am new here. I think I might have kidney disease. I didn't get diagnosed with it yet though. I am going to first go to my primary care doctor and get them to take a urine sample and blood tests and other tests if they need to. Some of the symptoms i have are dark colored urine. It looks like...

Last reply
  • Swollen ankles post transplant

Hi everyone I'm usually one for giving advice on here but looking for some suggestions or advice. I've recently returned to work after I got my transplant in October. I'm a bit concerned since lately I've noticed my ankles have swollen in the evening after work. Also getting a very mild...

Last reply
  • Newly Diagnosed - Terminology & Sleep Problems

So I've recently learned that I'm not invincible or immortal. I'm 48, from the UK. Long time hypertensive and T2 diabetic, neither well controlled because it didn't need to be because I was immortal right? Tablets for BP & T2. I don't smoke or drink. Well, occasional shandy,...

Last reply
  • Having just a solitary kidney causing CKD?

I have searched the web and am amazed how many sites there are that talk about CKD, kidney issues, but I do not find any that include much information about CKD due to having just one kidney.  This is why I search: ​I am 68.  Up until I was 67 all my renal functions and tests were 100% normal,...

Last reply
  • I am tired and so very scared

I am a 37 year old man with a beautiful wife and my wonderful boy age 6. I have had protein in the urine for a year off and on this time last year I had none (June). When we first found the protein it was determined to be prostatitis. So treated that however, still getting blood to check my kidneys and...

Last reply
  • Finally got Nephrologist appointment!

Just wanted to share I finally have been referred to a Nephrologist. April 10th. Cant believe I get to be so excited about this! Haha. I doubt they are going to shed much light on my CKD but at least im in the system! 😁

Last reply
  • Constant kidney infections

I'm a 58 year old woman in the U.S. In 2007 I learned I had bladder cancer & within a week had the bladder removed & a complete hysterectomy. So I didn't have a lot of time to create horrible scenarios in my mind. Now, after several years of CKD, one of my kidneys is shrunken &...

Last reply
  • Itchy legs

Hi I am new here. Currently in stage 4 kidney failure. The bottom of my legs are so itchy and keeping me awake at night!!! Anyone else suffering?? X

Last reply
  • snacks for kidney patients

I have a gfr22, also a diabetic with high blood pressure, have an abdominal aortic aneurysm,  and high cholesterol, needless to say my diet is quite restricted.  So I've been on a hunt for a snack that would be within my intake limets but that I could have to hold me over until mealtime....

Last reply
  • My brother is a match!!!!!!!!!!!

Exciting news today we found out my brother is a match! im at 9% creatinine 510, no Dialysis or anything, but found out today my brother is a match and he has an appointment in May at Coventry Hospital! so nervous, scared, whats to expect? xx

Last reply
  • Sudden increase in Creatinine and decrease in eGfr

Hi. I am a 34 year old male and earlier this week when I went for blood tests for kidney and liver function, I came to know that some results were out of the normal range: Creatinine - 112.35 EGfr - 73 AST - 42.7 ALT - 46.2 I had full tests done just three months back and results were all normal as...

Last reply
  • Surprising facts I read on CKD

In my area, which is not a large town in upstate New York, I was surprised to learn we have multiple Kidney Centers which provide dialysis, advice, minor treatments.  They are all associated with one company.  some of the centers are only 5 miles apart.  For a small area I was surprised...

Last reply
  • Understanding and answers to low eGFR

Hi all, I'm 31, relatively healthy, correct weight etc and about 8 months ago I had routine bloods taken at my GP.  All were fine except an alarming eGFR of 65.  A urine test identified no trace of protein though My GP had the tests repeated the following week and eGFR had risen slightly...

Last reply
  • What were your early symptoms of kidney disease?

Hello first of all.I have been having lower back pain off and on for a while but for the last couple weeks I have been weak and nauseous and my potassium is high.I am anemic but never felt like this.My sister had kidney transplant. I am scared to even mention it.

Last reply
  • Serum creatinine

Hi  My partner was given a blood test  It’s come back that his serum creatinine is 107 what could this mean? Anyone had this and it’s been nothing? 

Last reply
  • Creatine was very high but no symtems

Hi I'm Barath age 34 male from Asia  I have very rare kidney problem which my creatine level is 1215 latest and my gfr was below 5  But I did not have any symtems and my urine output is normal and I never done any dylasis  Kindly advice since none of doctor which I meet can give right...

Last reply
  • How best can a kidney decease or infection diagnose

Dear all, How a  kidney decease or infection diagnose? I need to hear the experience that any of you have gone through. I am KCD 3 but doctor did all different kind of blood tests including a biopsy, but nothing was found what has course this problem. In the biopsy report, 9 out of 4 granulas have...

Last reply
  • Dialisis with T1 Diabetes

Hi everybody. I would really like to leearn about the experiences on dialisis of any T1D particularly anyone that has been dialising for more thsn 5yrs. At My 1st Neph appntmnt last month i was told ave LE on dialisis was 5 years as an average there must be plenty of posrt 5 years patients. Please...

Last reply
  • On going renal problems

Have been under the renal team for about 6 months now with heavy visible bleeding that they think is coming from the left kidney I’ve had every possible scan, and tests that come off the top of the head and still no further my latest test results showed protein is ++ and blood as +++. My kidney function...

Last reply
  • retype gfr

Women.             Age.         Median.             Range 35-39.         79.                   66-92  40-44.          77.  ...

Last reply
  • normal gfr by age

I am 63 and have CKD gfr22 but I went searching for the median gfr of a healthy 63 year old woman so I could compare the number. I googled, normal gfr by age, the site is Kidney-international.org. I wish I could make these computer gadgets sing in French like my kids can and I would give you a link...

Last reply
  • part 2 normal gfr by age

Men.            Gfr.              Gfr Age.             Median.    Range       35-39.         79.               66-92 40-44.  ...

Last reply
  • CKD and Sparkling Mineral Water

My husband is Stage 4 CKD, GFR 19. Since getting the shock news, he has stopped drinking alcohol. He never drank much alcohol anyway. He now drinks mainly his favourite mineral water, which is sparkling San Pelligrino. He drinks 1-2 litres of it a day. As it is sparkling, does it cause any harm...

Last reply
  • study on normal gfr by age

I did a Google search : normal gfr by age. I found an Awesome study in the site Kidney-international.org, I posted a comment about it but it's being reviewed. So it may be posted or not.  I'm giving this information just in case they don't post it. I've tried posting a comment before...

Posted
  • Kidney Disease and Pregnancy

I recently found out I am 6 weeks pregnant. I am truly excited as babies are a blessing and well I had previously been told getting pregnant would be hard in the 1st place. I am nervous since I have lupus nephritis and my nephrologist keeps warning me about kidney failure, my kidneys getting worse,...

Last reply
  • Can extreme emotional stress cause proteinuria?

I just received results on a large panel of tests my nephrologist ordered to address my concerns with a significant drop in e-GFR (from 100 to the 70's and 80's) over the past two years. During the first visit, his office found some borderline proteinuria (30 mg on random urine sampl with dipstick)....

Last reply
  • Dialysis and T1 diabetes

Hi just had 1st appointment with UK Nephrologist and told the ave Life Exp on dialisis fot t1 diabetics is only 5 years. Very alarming. Would welcome any input on this many thanks indeed Terry

Last reply
  • insomnia

Hi all My grf is approx 10 now.  No dialysis as yet. My sleep pattern is appalling and I wonder if anyone else has any tips for improving sleep.   It did start some years ago because (as you know) the depleted kidneys wouldn't retain any water during the night.  Now I'm sure it...

Last reply
  • My mother age 85 has stage 5 Kidney failure..

My mother is suffering from. Kidney failure, needless to say dialysis is not an option given her other healissues.  Over the past week she seems to have gone downhill, her appetite has gone and she has become very weak. It's awful to see her like this My mother has always been very active...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.