Chronic Kidney Disease and Statins

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

Can anyone offer advice on taking statins with CKD Stage 3. I am a 70 year old woman, with it, and M.E/chronic fatigue syndrome. I am mostly in bed but go out twice a week and walk 2 miles. every day I am walking up and down 3 flights of stairs in my flat, about a third of a mile. I have a good appetite, vegan mostly, but eat fish twice a week and 10 eggs a week. Half an advocado a day. Ive beaten high cholesterol this way before.Cholesterol is 5.2. Dr. wants me to go on statins. There is no history of heart disease in the family. I am loathe to go on Statins.

Has anyone got advice please ?

Thanks so much.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

read about the side effects of statins before going on them. there are some new meds that do not have the side effects as statins. Especially with kidney disease you are at risk for complications. your diet is not kidney healthy . talk with a nephrologist to understand how to chose a kidney friendly diet and to defer from dialysis.

• Posted

Hello Barbara, thank you for your reply. I am working with a CKD nutritionist on my diet, and she has passed all the said foods.

I need to read up on Statins and the new med alternatives,that don't have the side effects statins do.

I am thinking of speaking to a nephrologist about this.

I appreciate your reply. Thanks, Julie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.