Worried about Kidney/Urinary Symptoms

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi All,

I'm currently looking for some advice, and I've gotten myself a bout anxious.

So my story is that I have had a history of non-vis blood (usually like +1) in urine on the dip sticks at the GP surgery on and off for 4 years or so. GP has never been concerned about this.

Over the past couple of years, I've also had numerous episodes of freq. urination that usually have lasted a few weeks each time. LAst year I can recall two such episodes very well, the first where I had about 10 days where I just felt like I was going 10 times a day and felt the need to go not long again after having already been.

The second time about 3-4 months later, was more dramatic and lasted a little longer, and I would feel like I needed to go to the toilet not only multiple times a day, but when I did go it wasn't much I was passing and I would immediately feel like I still needed to go after.

Because of all of this and the fact I was experiencing some stiffness particulary in the morning in my lower back back/right flank I went on to see a urologist last summer and had ultrasound and did one of those urine flow tests. He didn't find anything concerning.

Fast forward to this week, and I've started urinating quite a lot at night (3-4 times), and now also feeling like I need to go a lot in the day too. And today I've noticed that my urine is very foamy/bubbly - I think this is new or at least, I hadn't noticed before if not…

I had blood test this week and a urine dip test which showed what the GP said was about +0.5 of non-visible blood. Blood test according to him were all fine, but this brought my attention to eGFR and ended up with me reading about this and also looking back at other supposedly 'fine' blood tests. My eGFR has ranged from as low as 68 up to 89 most recently over the past 5 years, which many reliable looking websites state would put me in earlier stage CKD, this combined with other symptoms has me now very anxious.

The one potentially good bit of news I suppose here is that my eGFR has been the highest the last two tests (82 and 89 now respective), but historically seems awfully low for someone of my age (37 now, but obviously younger on other test results which I've included below).

Creatinine 110

eGFR 70

Creatinine 101

eGFR 77

Creatinine 98

eGFR 80

Creatinine 111

eGFR 68

Creatinine na

eGFR 82

Creatinine 94

eGFR 89

I mentioned all of this and my low eGFR to my doctor this week and he seems not to think there is any issue as its above 60 - I'm concerned though as this seems to dismiss the fact that I'm only in my mid to late 30's and my readings are more akin to average of someone who is in there 60s or 70s!

I'm surprised at the variation of the results i the eGFR also? Is there anything that can reasonably explain this? I have lost about 1.5 stone over the past two years?

As far my general health goes otherwise, I also have mild psoriasis and a mildy fatty non-alcoholic liver, and suffer with pretty bad anxiety, but otherwise am generally considered clinically healthy and not hugely overweight, though could lose another stone (6'2 and 15 stone)

I'm having a hard time feeling comfortable that this can all be normal, and of course doctor Google has diagnosed me with Kidney disease, so I'm freaking out a bit and have booked to see a private nephro later this week…

Had anybody been through similar or have any insights? Are there any good questions I should ask the nephrologist, or further tests I should seek?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.