just been told I have had CKD since 2017!

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello everyone

I had asked for a full blood test today at my local surgery as it's been a while and they never notify me. I have an underactive Thyroid so usually have to have this tested plus other things, along with BP as it's shown up as high many times before but after further tests at home was considered okay so I've never been put on BP medication.

During the seemingly routine test today, the nurse was asking me a lot of things about kidneys so I asked why she was interested and then she said, it's because you are currently having your routine check due to your condition of CKD! I was (and still am) utterly shocked! I remember going for tests years ago and my kidney function was deemed abnormal but not alarmingly and the doctor at the time mentioned it was likely I was dehydrated. I was not sent information to care for myself as a CKD patient nor was I given regular follow ups. I had other tests at the surgery but each time I assumed it was a routine health check, nobody until today and only because I asked, was the condition CKD mentioned!!

The last few months I've been under huge stress with family issues (my aunt is currently dying) and there are other financial issues too. I have insomnia that has become impossible lately and recently had extreme bouts of nausea which came from nowhere. I am a very strong person so can function whilst totally exhausted and feeling unwell. However, I thought I should get a check up just in case and if I'd not asked about kidneys today I would not have been aware at all. I am thinking of making an official complaint to the NHS and also I am now terrified that having not known of my condition for 6 years that I have not paid attention to diet and health which I would have done had I been informed. I am going back to the GP on Wednesday to discuss in more detail and my blood tests will be ready next week. My BP was very high on 6 readings and have to monitor at home but have not been offered medication. I am 61, what will happen to me now? I am very worried, thanks in advance.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.