Travel and eating out

Posted , 2 users are following.

I find everything I read about eating out whole travelling to be incredibly naive as to lack of understanding what is in prepared food.

I will be travelling for from home. I cannot take foods with me.

Of course I will avoid sauces and all of the obvious food loaded with sodium.

It seems like the only safe things I can eat to maintain sodium less than 1500mg/day:

Breakfast: eggs and toast (of course, no butter as as butter is salted)

Raw fruits and vegetables (how much chance of getting that in a a restaurant) other than salad, no dressing.

Most baked good contain baking soda or baking powder and are LOADED with sodium so these recommendations to eat a "plain bagel" are so stupid as that bagel contains 500mg of sodium

Recommendations to eat plain or broiled meet or chicken--so naive as that will be loaded with salt in the preparation as chicken gets brined almost everywhere and steak is often aged with salt.

Asking restaurant servers to make sure that no salt is added--how naive to think they care or that it will be communicated or that the guy in the kitchen will comply?

It seems that is is impossible to travel for a few days where it is necessary to eat in restaurants and maintain a sodium restricted diet, when one realizes that sodium is added early in the process to most foods and there is no way a traveler can know what is in the food.

Am I missing something?

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Remember all foods are not created the same. take the time now to control you food intake and to preserve your kidney function or your kidney will fail and then you will be going three times a week 4-5 hours each day for dialysis treatments.

Travel with that!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.