stage 1 diagnosis

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi l am 48 and just diagnosed with stage 1 , they said by blood test and ultra sound scan of my kidneys are normal but by urine test had protein so l am classed as stage one. l am overweight and take medication for blood pressure. Is it possible to reverse stage 1 and go back to normal kidneys with no protein urine if l loose weight and change my diet ? Do most people diagnosed with stage 1 who change their lifestyle never progress to further stages, thanks

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi John,

Kidney damage isn't reversible. However you have stage 1 which, as a comparison, I've been in stage 2 for at least 25 years (since I was diagnosed using biopsy with IgAN).

What you can control though are the other aspects of your health, especially your blood pressure and weight. If your weight is contributing to your high BP, lose weight. High BP will damage your kidneys, and your kidneys help to regulate the BP so it's a snowball effect. Control what you can control.

Some progress to further stages and some do not. There's no way to know which you will be, so set up regular visits with your nephrologist and your PCP to monitor your kidney health. Do the things you can do to improve your health to give your kidneys the best chance possible. I know realizing you are not immortal is a shocker, I felt the same way. I wish it was reversible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.