Recently diagnosed and still in shock.

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello all. I'm hoping to get some insight into this horrible disease so that I know how to move forward. A couple months ago I had a severe Meniere's attack after going approximately 8 years without one. The following weeks consisted of unsteadiness and being borderline dizzy. I went to a ENT and they prescribed a diuretic (Triamterene). I began taking the Triamterene along with an occasional Meclizine in hopes of keeping my Meniere's at bay. After approximately one week of taking these medications I noticed that my right knee was swollen and part of my calf turned yellow. I went to the ER and they said that I had effusion of the knee and Bursitis. They did a Ultrasound to rule out a blood clot which came back good. They released me and said that everything checked out fine and suggested I see a Orthopedic for my knee. Simple enough "however" once I returned home I went into the hospital portal and found that my blood results were flagged in several categories. My Bun levels, Creatine levels and WBC were high. After doing a Google search it alerted me to CKD. The next day I got in to see my primary and he told me to stop taking the Triamterene and ordered a barrage of blood and urine tests however, he had me come in 3 days later for the blood work. I thought to myself that 3 days wasn't a sufficient amount of time for the diuretic to be out of my system but who am I to question the doctor? I went for my follow up app 3 weeks later at which time he advised me that "I no longer had Diabetes" but that I now have stage 2 CKD!!! My GFR was 50 at the hospital when my Creatine, Bun and WBC was elevated but according to my own research, the infection in my knee combined with the diuretic could possibly raise them. My most recent blood work has my GFR at 65 and my Creatine, Bun and WBC all within range. Knowing that my doctor still said that I have stage 2 CKD? Does that sound right to you guys? The only directives he gave me was to stay on my diet and exercise. I feel bad even asking for advice with only stage 2 considering how bad some others have it but I'm just trying to prepare myself. Also, I want to see a nephrologist now so as to get a handle on it as opposed to waiting for it to progress to 3 or 4 but I'm getting the feeling that I can only see one if it is worse than stage 2. Does anyone know if that is correct? Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.