Can't get Shingles from Shingles. Really???

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, I've just been diagnosed with Shingles. I have been told you can't get Shingles from Shingles, only chicken pox from shingles. But I am the third person in work in a week to come down with Shingles. If you can't get Shingles from shingles, how come so many people in work have it?? Any ideas anyone?? Thanks xxx

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Maybe you're all very run down or post viral, (some other virus)! I'd had the flu last Winter and started with shingles a few weeks later. You can pass chicken pox on to a person who has never had it though! The fluid in the blisters is where the infection lies so keep it covered until it dries up if it's in a visible place. I'm sure others will reply to you with plenty of info on the subject. Best wishes, Ellie UK confused
  • Posted

shingles are contagious in the first stages, so yes, you can get them from others.  Usually, only if you touch the area of infection
  • Posted

Hi Cherrypop,

First of all, one can only transmit the Herpes Zoster virus infection to naive persons who have never been infected with the Herpes Zoster virus. They then get varicella aka chickenpox. Shingles or Herpes Zoster occurs once one has been infected with chickenpox and the virus lays dormant inside the body until stressed, then is activated when one is stressed. Both chicken and Shingles are infectious to others who have not yet been infected with chickenpox.

I hope you started on antivirals within three days of onset of the rash and also have major analgesics ie narcotics.

Usually Shingles affects people who are older, immunocompromised with autoimmune disorders such as Lupus, Psoriasis, ITP, Rheumatoid arthritis, Sjögrens Syndrome, are on Prednisone, or have cancer. People who are stressed can get Shingles, as well.

The fact that three people at work have gotten shingles may mean you are in the age group that tends to be at risk, under stress at work and or home, have underlying health disorders. You absolutely did not catch it from each other.

I am an NP stateside and also have had Shingles for the last 19 years every 3-5 weeks in my right ear.

I hope this information helps you.

Best Wishes to you and your colleagues at work.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

ah, I had shingles in October of this year and yes, it can be contagious, if you touch the infected area..
    • Posted

Ramsay Hunt Syndrome every 3-5 weeks?  How awful!  I only had it once but still suffer with the residuals.  I take it you are not able to take daily antivirals to put the virus to bed?  The damage the zoster virus has done must be unreal!  How do you manage?
    • Posted

Dear Wylee,

Thank you for responding. I tried the daily antivirals, and they did not suppress the Zoster. I try to nip it in the bud by taking Famvir as soon as I feel Ataxia and the first bit of headache... that being said, I have autoimmune diseases and breast cancer, caught early, rcently diagnosed, excellent prognosis, but each certainly has not helped with the recurrences. You learn to adapt with what you are dealt with in life. My given name is Merry, if that tells you anything how I deal with life's "adventures. "

Best Wishes to you

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry

19 years of dealing with Shingles!! I hope someone has given you a medal. I am at total disbelief that in this day and age they have not found something that can stop your suffering and end the reaccurance. I read somewhere that once you get it once, you shouldn't get it again, but I guess that's total rubbish!! I take my hat of to you, for sharing your experiences and advising other people. Thank you xx

• Posted

it can be infectious, just be careful and don't let anyone touch your blisters.  I had shingles just last October, so I know.!!
    • Posted

Only infectious to people who have NOT had chickenpox and pregnant mums as it could pass to their baby in the womb! It's the fluid in the blisters which are infectious to those people so it's neccessary to keep rash covered if it's in a place where it can be touched by others.  Merry is quite right in what she says, I've had it this year too, and now have post Herpetic Neuralgia or PHN. I'm 72 but younger people can get it for reasons stated above by Merry! Lots of GP's have little or NO knowledge of Shingles but we folk on this forum have done our homework to try and help ourselves recover more quickly. Not always possible though!  sad
    • Posted

Dear Ellie,

I am sorry for the PHN. I feel too many physicians are terribly ignorant re this disease, which leads to inadequate treatment. I am not sure if you and I have discussed your case individually before. Your name is familiar. I try to take up the slack on this site as the UK and the US both have excellent physicians and many more mediocre ones. If you would like to discuss the PHN more please respond on the website, as there are medications to help alleviate some of the excruciating pain.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

not true, it is infectious if you touch the infected area!!!
    • Posted

June,

Please accept my apologies for the correction, but the following statements are true:

Shingles is infectious or contagious to those individuals who have not yet had Chickenpox. You do not get a case of Shingles from the blisters / vesicles of a person who is infected with chickenpox or shingles. You get a case of ckickenpox, and only if you have never had chickenpox before. The varicella virus lives on the sensory nerve on your body only if you have had chickenpox previously, and by definition, flares through body's sensory nerves to the skin, thus causing the severe pain and rash. That is the definition and etiology of shingles.

People with chickenpox are very contagious and should be isolated at home. Those with shingles often are better off at home until the vesicles-blisters have completely scabbed over. Usually you feel to sick to do much, anyway.

Best Regards

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my message. Your comments have been very helpful. I have just found it very strange if it's not contagious how I'm the 3rd person in work to come down with it. I'm 38, do not have a weakened immune system and would not consider myself stressed.

If the pus from the blisters is contagious, is it possible to catch it from a toilet seat? The blister have appeared on the top, back of my thigh, which would be in contact with the toilet seat. Is this possible?

I am currently off work as advised by my doctor.

Many Thanks

Cherrypop

• Posted

Hi. I'm recovering from shingles at the moment. It came out about a month ago, went to the doctors and he gave me the correct medication, thank goodness. I've got it all over one side of my head, on my ear and a little on my neck. All on the left side of my body. Yes, I think I am a bit run down due to the fact, I broke my left arm on 30th August and haven't been back to work yet, so am feeling very fed up.

Also, I'm very worried about haveing th shingles as my daughter and her husband have now announced they are expecting a bbay. Sh'es only about 6 weeks pregnant but when I had the blisters I didn't see them for about 3 weeks as I knew they were trying. Hopefully all will be well.

I also feel quite low sometimes, is this due to the shingles or the fact I've not been to work for 3 months? i would value anyones advise please. 

Many thanks.

• Posted

Hi Glynann,

I am so sorry for your suffering from this excruciating disease.

First of all, Herpes Zoster / Shingles causes a viremia circulating in your body. It causes fatigue, muscle and joint aches and pains, headache, fever, malaise etc. It can take 2-3 months to recover from these symptoms alone, let alone the pain.

If the blisters / vesicles have completely scabbed over, you are no longer contagious. The vesicles-blisters no longer contain the infectious fluid that transmits the virus to others. Usually by one month, the scabbing has occurred. It is usual to feel depressed and fatigued with shingles due to the pain, social isolation, change in schedule, malaise, narcotics, change in body image, and sometimes lack of familial support.

I am glad your physician gave you the correct medication, as this is essential in thwarting a more complicated disease process. You certainly had an extensive rash as it is. I hope the pain has subsided and the information I supplied has helped you.

If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I am an NP in the States.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Glynann

I am so sorry that you have been so poorly. I have no doubt that you are feeling low, it sounds like you have had a lot to deal with over the last few months. I am by no means a doctor and like you, I am just trying to find some answers.

Congratulations about your daughter, that's lovely news. It must have been hard not seeing her. I truly wish you a speedy recovery. Try to keep postive hun. Just concentrate on the end result, being well and having a beautiful grandchild. I know that's easier said then done when your feeling low. Good things are on their way xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.