Can't get Shingles from Shingles. Really???

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, I've just been diagnosed with Shingles. I have been told you can't get Shingles from Shingles, only chicken pox from shingles. But I am the third person in work in a week to come down with Shingles. If you can't get Shingles from shingles, how come so many people in work have it?? Any ideas anyone?? Thanks xxx

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You cannot "catch" Shingles.  Perhaps your office workers are under the same high stress, even though you perceive it as "normal."  

There shouldn't be any pus from the Shingles vesicles.  That would indicate an infection.  

While the vesicles are weeping you are contagious to anyone who has not had Chicken Pox.  It is best to limit your contact with children or women who could be pregnant until the vesicles dry up.  Shingles transmission of varicella is less likely than with Chicken Pox, but still possible.

To those who have had Shingles frequently, it really is important to get the virus back into dormancy and keep it there.  Each bout allows the virus to do extensive damage and disseminate to other areas, including your internal organs.  Daily suppressive doses of antivirals are often a solution.

• Posted

no, incorrect, if you touch the infected blisters, you can get shingles from another person.
    • Posted

June, please recheck your sources.  Every medical article I have read all agree that you cannot catch Shingles.  Please be careful of material that you read on the net that is not written by true medical professionals in peer reviewed arenas.  There is a lot of false info out there.
    • Posted

sorry, I definitely disagree with you wylee, think about it, the infection in the blister itself, CAN be infectious to others.
    • Posted

June, it is only capable of becoming Chicken Pox in someone who has not had that disease.  

Just wondering, where did you learn that you can catch Shingles from someone else?  I would really like to read that article.

• Posted

Wylee

First of all, I know all doctors have differents opionions, I had the shingles back in October of this year.  My doctor said I was contagious ONLY if someone else touched my blisters., and I think it is just common sense, that blisters such as these are infectious if they are oozing and touched by someone else,   Thank you!!

• Posted

Hi Wylee

Thank you for your response. I am on medication from my doctor. Maybe we are all under stress without realising it. But we are all in different departments doing different jobs. My apologises for the word 'pus'. I have not had pus, I meant weeping fluid. I was just curious if direct contact with this fluid meant that Shingles could in fact be passed on. I thought maybe from a toilet or something. I have hand sanitiser on my desk which I use frequently, so have just been trying to get to the bottom of why I have it. Trying to rule things out.

Many Thanks

• Posted

Hi June

Thank you for giving your opinion. My doctor also advised me that it can be passed by direct contact with the fluid. But on reflection I think she meant chicken pox could be passed. As the conversation started with her saying shingles is not contagious. To be honest it is all very complicated and I just wanted to try and figure out the reasons I have it. Thank you for sharing your information.

• Posted

Your Doc meant it was infectious and could cause CHICKEN POX in a child, baby or person who has not already had it! That includes unborn babies. The fluid in the rash does not cause SHINGLES! That is correct and the general consensus of opinion. If you're still not sure, ask your GP to explain it again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.