Can you get withdrawl from pregabalin after taking it for only 3 days?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi,

I recently picked up a trapped nerve in my thigh. As a result I was prescribed 100mg of pregabalin. Well, I took the drug for 3 days and had such horrendous side effects, decided to stop. But have felt really bad almost ever since.

However at the same time I have been battling coming off mirtazapine (for depression) which has been extremely hard and painful. Perhaps the symtoms I have experienced could be from the mirtazapine. I am now down to 0.08mg. Prior to taking the pregabalin though I was doing ok.

I been off the pregabalin now for 14 days.

Can anyone help at all? Not sure what's going on and what I should do?

Thanks

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello andy

It took 2 weeks to get out of my system and i was abusing it so you should be right mate.

• Posted

Hi Andy

May I ask how long you had been taking it and how you came off e.g.- decrease/ cold turkey?

• Posted

Very sorry I meant to say reg

I am naturally dopey!

• Posted

Hi Andy

?Just to put your mind at rest somewhat Pregabalin takes one week to start altering your brain chemistry and central nervous system, after which it can be difficult to stop without some withdrawal symptoms. It is rare to have overwhelming withdrawals after only 3 days; some maybe but these will wear off in due course. It would be difficult to know if weaning off mirtazapine combined with a short dalliance with Pregabalin could trigger withdrawals combined. It depends on what dosage you took daily for those 3 days as well. All in all, the Pregabalin has completely left your system after 14 days - it only has a half life which means 6.3 hours after the last dose taken it has gone from your system. The withdrawal symptoms you are experiencing, especially as the drug did not seem to suit you from the start, should ease as the brain and CNS stop expecting further doses and start to heal from any changes made during the 3 days.

?Every experience of taking and stopping this drug vary from individual to individual, so please do not add fear and anxiety to whatever else you are feeling. The reply from Chris gives the very worst senario possible and normally applies to large doses over longer periods of time. I too am on Lyrica Survivors group and I can assure you that one has to take a balanced view of people's stories and not to get caught up in applying every reported withdrawal symptom possible to oneself.

I hope that you start to feel much better soon but do post again if you need further help and support.

• Posted

Thanks Elizabeth that's really helpful. Puts my mind at ease. Perhaps I just have to ride it out.

• Posted

Hi Andy . I'm moderator on the lyrica survivors group mentioned above .. lyrica ( pregablin ) takes a week to alter the brain synapse so apart from maybe feeling a little rough you shouldn't suffer from withdrawals . I'd say it more the Mirt that is causing this . we haven't personally had members that have taken their lives . You really shouldn't worry my friend . Hope this puts your mind at rest

• Posted

I cant understand but withdrawal seems to effect me when I cut down, 2 weeks after I cut down
    • Posted

Hi Ellebi

I will reply later if you don't mind as I am just off to a hospital appointment. It will be later in the day but I am not ignoring you.

• Posted

Hi ellebi,

Could you tell me more. How long you have been on pregabalin, how much are you reducing by and when you get withdrawl after two weeks, how long does it last?

Thanks

• Posted

I have been on it 2 years now. Initially in January I reduced by 100mg so went from 200mg to 100mg but this time I reduced from 100mg to 75mg.

I reduced on the 19th June but started getting worse panic attacks, worse anxiety, worse sleeping patterns, moody, depressed, sad, teary two weeks ago which I thought was withdrawal ?? 

I feel fine when I initially withdrawal and then wham it hits me ??

• Posted

Am I right assume from your post that whilst on Pregabalin you didn't suffer noticeable side effects? Did you feel initially that it was helping you? You decided to cut down and you didn't have too much of a problem cutting down until you got to 75mg and started suffering withdrawals which didn't affect you until the 2 week mark. In my experience of talking and sharing with patients on this drug withdrawals tend to hit between day 5 and 7 after each drop - some though from day 1 and others later like yourself. It shows such variaiton between individuals that there is no 'normal'. The lower you drop the more your brain chemistry and central nervous system react to the lesser doses as by now (after 2 years) your body has become dependent on this drug. In effect the brain and CNS are craving more and more. Generally, withdrawals are felt less when a person tapers by 10% at a time and waits until feeling stable before dropping another 10%. I know the capsules come in 25mg, 50, 75, 100 etc. and the only way I have found to taper off is by mixing the contents of the capsule say 75mg into 75ml of warm water, mixing very well and using a 100ml syringe (Amazon sell these) take 7.5ml out of the solution and discard. If you don't like the taste add a little squash or cordial to the mix that is left and take your dose. When stable, which could take one week to 4 weeks or more (you will know when) drop another 10% and so on. The most difficult time in stopping completely seems to be 50mg and down and then smaller drops may be required until you are completely free of Pregabalin. I'm not sure how well I have explained the water titration method but if you need further guidance on it I will try again. I have to admit I am rather tired as I didn't get home till 8ish after sitting around at the hospital for hours.

?It is not unusual for Pregabalin to appear to work well at first and then seem to stop and so the dosage goes up until the patient reaches maximum of 600mg daily. Certainly Anxiety sufferers find this and some find it very difficult to reduce and come off as the anxiety seems to climb up and up. You need to have a genuine wish to stop and be willing to go through whatever the withdrawals are for you and not give up or in.  If you know they will hit 2 weeks after then grit your teeth and wait until they lessen and you feel stable before reducing again. Your GP may tell you that you can drop in much higher amounts with no problem, but overall this advice seems to be wrong (well, the Doctor has never taken it so how would he/she know).

Hope you can get off Pregabalin without too much trouble but post again if you need to

• Posted

Hi Ellibi . It can take 2 weeks for withdrawals to start . Not very often but each individual is diff . You can join our lyrica ( pregablin) survivors pg if you need help withdrawing .. we have 51/2 k members who are tapering successfully . Please feel free to join or pm me and I can add you . .
    • Posted

Thank you.

Is this a facebook page? think I could be a member already

• Posted

Thank you for your lenghtly reply.

Im not sure if Lyrica ever helped me, I remember been on it before in 2013 also 75mg a day and definly did not have any withdrawal when I stopped.

But when I cut from 200mg to 100mg in January, the withdrawal was awful and now again I feel the withdrawal from 100mg to 75mg is effecting me.

• Posted

Hi Ellebi

?If you are a member of Lyrica Survivors on FB then the water titration method of tapering will help you come off - all info and a video showing how contained in the Files section. Certainly explains it far better than I did!! I think it is the only way for you to lessen your withdrawals however long they take to kick in. I hope you get things sorted soon, it's no fun I know. If you are not a member of our particular group do pm Tracey who will get you added as member.

• Posted

Hi Tracy im on pregablin 100 on a morning 100 on a night dont think its doing much please can you explain how to wean off it successfully thank you Sandra

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.