Carbimazole and sore throat

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with overactive thyroid just over a month ago-after a few days I had a sore throat-stopped the drug and went to doctor whos said my sore throat was nothing to worry about-no temperature and did a blood test ok and went back on the tablets. I have another sore throat-my appointment with the Consultant isn't until April 17th-what should I do? previous message on this subject are quite old?how bad a sore throat does it have to be before seaking an urgent appointment?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I was told by my consultant to see a Doctor urgently if this happened whilst I am taking the Carbimazole.  It did happen several times and each time turned out ok.  But I'm not sure that it applies if you're not taking the drug.  Maybe others can comment.
    • Posted

Thanks Nisee-yes I am still taking Carbimazole-taken now for 4 weeks

Mitzi

• Posted

Yes then, my doctor said to always class as an urgent appointment - even if it ends up being something simple - because it is on the list of symptoms that are 'flagged' on the doctors list as being urgent to check when taking this medication.  More often than not there's a simple explanation, but at the same time you shouldn't take the symptoms lightly.  I even went to the out of hours one weekend because my GP surgery was closed and my doctor thanked me for being vigilant.
    • Posted

Hi-sucked a couple of merocets and sore throat getting better-I dont have a temperature  although i do suffer with hay fever
  • Posted

I continually had a sore throat and still do taking carbimazole sometimes to the point I can feel a lump and find it hard to swallow. They say it's urgent to see a doc when taking it as it can rarely affect the while blood count or something which is why they take blood. However apparently since taking carbimazole my consultant told me it isn't a great medication for side affects and illness.x
    • Posted

yes I agree but I haven't got an appointment to see the Consultant until April 27th,have only been diagnosed for 1 month but other side affects like muscle weekness and bowel incontinence are a problem

MITZI

• Posted

Can you not just go to your gp? I feel like I'm never away from mine but everything is a side effect the muscle pain's, the sore tummy, being shattered 24/7 but still not able to sleep. I take my iodine on the 10th (next friday) and I am petrified but looking forward to hopefully coming to the end. What dose of carbimazole are you on? It could be a sign your on too much too if yoir throat is hurting x
    • Posted

GP always puts my probs down to thyroid I went about 2 weeks ago because of sore throat and temperature-had blood test and all ok-hoping when I see consultant they will give better information!! trying to hang on until then. I am deaf and cant use the phone but will ask someone to phone doc for me. I take 20mg twice a day-thank youx
    • Posted

Yeah they blame everything as a side effect I found the same. I think that's quite a high dose for just being diagnosed I was on 20mg once a day and I am now down to 10mg a day. That's only taken me maybe 6 7 weeks to get my dose down. I think as long as they are testing your bloods and checking your neck to make sure you have no goitres try and persevere as annoying as it is x
    • Posted

yes trying to persevere until I see Consultant-I'm losing so much weight though I feel everything I eat goes straight through me. 27 days till see consultant but I going to see if I can get appointment to see my doctor today or tomorrow-should have tried first thing I suppose-thank you for talking to me it helps
    • Posted

Exactly what i'm finding.

I've started taking the tablets 3 times now. Once initially and twice when i stopped for a sore throat.

Everytime i start taking them my throat goes dry and sore and i am constantly swallowing anxiously.

The doctor thinks its lpr but it only starts when i take the carbimazole. I would stop taking it but then my thyroid starts making feel il after a few days.

But the anxiety i have when i'm taking it seems worse than ever.

I know this is an old discussion. Maybe these forums are dead now? but i'm struggling for information and up to date experiences of carbimazole. Especially the side effects.

The doctor thinks its in my head i'm sure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.