Cervical Secretions

Posted , 4 users are following.

Is there a tell-tale way to know the difference between fertile cervical mucous and self-cleaning? This pertains to someone who hasn't menstruated in over a decade (likely due to menopause) and no longer has regularly occurring discharge and is typically very dry. Yet there is still the occasional clear shiny sheen on toilet paper when wiping, particularly after exercising or defecating. It's driving me crazy trying to discern whether this means ovulation is still occurring or if this is self-cleaning. No website can verify the difference and sometimes even lumps them in the same category making it hard to tell.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Anybody? Please.

• Posted

Hi, how old are you? I only ask because if you're over age 50 you're unlikely to still be fertile. You say you're likely post menopause? Presumably there's your answer?

• Posted

This relates to a possible case of early menopause, which is why I do not wish to disclose the age. The fact is that menstruation has not taken place in well over a decade, and there is no longer discharge coming out (normally super dry, in fact). However, there is still the occasional clear shiny sheen that appears on toilet paper when wiping, after exercising and defecating. I wish I could confirm whether this is cervial cleaning fluid or a sign of ovulation.

• Posted

Well I'm not a doctor and therefore no expert but if you're no longer menstruating, my thought would be you're no longer ovulating. Have you consulted a doctor?

• Posted

I have, but right now I'm playing the waiting game, waiting for them to get back to me.

• Edited

Hey There, Quest..

My thoughts: You/whomever you speak o... are DEEP in the throes of post-menopause; which we are all aware that post-menopause means a woman has NOT had a period for twelve consecutive months. Since you/whomever you speak of... haven't had a period in roughly a decade, there's no way you/whomever you speak of... can be ovulating.. I will say this, some women I know, occasionally have had a pocket or two of break-through bleeding and a clear discharge, while in post-menopause. I, too, have had an instance of discharge which came from out of nowhere. Suffice it to say, sooo... MANY anomalies happen to us womenfolk during the three stages of menopause. My suggestion to you is to talk to your OBGYN, and get his/her opinion.

• Posted

i have Premature ovarian Insufficiency. my doctor explained to me that there is 5% change you could get pregnant naturally because of ovulation through until your 50 . If you ovulation without pregnancy you will always bleed as you will need to shed your womb lining .I have also not had any natural periods since i was 27 and i am now 32. I was 23 when i was diagnosed. I also get discharged sometimes but it's always cleaning rather than ovulation

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.