CHRISTMAS AND GRANDCHILDREN

Posted , 9 users are following.

Speaking as the wife of  a 2 weeks down the line THR,  I seem to be going through all the anxieties and find everyone really helpful here.  So with two small great grandchildren, our granddaughter has asked us to her house for christmas day.  Bearing in mind all the uplifts on chairs/toilets is that safe?  He hasnt been out at all yet, but the weather is awful.  Taking a walk outside is one hurdle, but what about spending time in another house?  What is the safe time to abandon raised toilet seat etc?  It will be 6 weeks post op by then...He is doing okay and knee swelling gone down, but foot still tends to swell during the day. Staples out 3 days ago.    Thank you for your experience and thoughts.  I know everyone is different, but would still welcome views about christmas with grandchildren,.  By the way were are relatively young great grandparents!  though dont feel it at the moment...

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think you will both be absolutely fine! My mother had a hip replacement (and had a few fair problems with it ) but they came to ours for christmas, with lots of children, dogs etc. We just settled my mother in a comfy chair (which my father brought with them) and a pillow to one side to protect her hip) she was nestled by the fire with everyone waiting on her hand and foot and had a marvellous time!

The children loved sitting the raised loo seat more than playing with their new presents and the crutches were the main source of who can fastest! 

My mother had a little nap in the afternoon in front of the TV and we had a super family christmas. Are you staying over or just going for the day? Staying over could present a few more challeneges but nothing should stop you! 

I am now having my own hip replacement on Tuesday, just in time for christmas, and I am looking forward to be looking after! It is going to be very different just sitting there, usually I do all of the cooking, tidying, cleaning and decorating! Not to mention the children and animals, it is going to be VERY relaxing! 

Have a wonderful christmas with your family and make the most of this lovely time of the year. 

• Posted

Rose, good luck for tuesday, a pain free christmas coming to you this year. Thank you also for the advice, i am 2 weeks on and feel panicy about going somewhere else, do i take cushions, toilet seats etc., this op really works on your confidence. But each day something new gives you a boost. All the best again for tuesday xx
    • Posted

Thank you Rose.   All best wishes to you and good luck for Tuesday and then enjoy Christmas without all the shopping and cooking!  
  • Posted

Hello Lynne, I was told at 6 weeks I could give up the raised loo seat..I didn't only because I already have a higher loo seat put in in anticioation of old age when I had my bathroom done 3 years ago.. Isn't the rasied loo seat detachable?  You could take it with you? If you lived in Wiltshire you could have my one that was given me when I left hospital..still in its plastic?  But how nice to be with all your grabdchildren over Christmas.  I find it all a bit difficult as don't have children and am widowed but do spoil myself with lovely food and drink.

Your husband will find things a whole lot easier when the staples come out..then it is onwards and upwards but with glitches on the way that this site will reassure you about.

ALice

• Posted

Hi Alice:

I have just read your response to Lynne, and note that you are living in the same county as I am.

I am wondering where you had your op?  Circle Bath has been recommended to me as being the best.  I don't know much about RUH Bath.  Did your surgery go well, and which technique did your surgeon use, who was he, and were you happy with him/her?

A lot of questions, but I would like to get it right the frist time around, as I had a bad experience in San Francisco that had to be revised.

I am divorced - in San Francisco, so live on my own.  Daughter in Bath, but she does not drive.  

All the best to you,

Susie

• Posted

You will not be alone.. We are all here..many hippies live

alone, many don't have children. Some of us are having

a quiet Christmas, no grandkids nearby, or no grandkids,

I think there are more people who don't have a family gathering

at Christmas, than those who do..It is a pity it goes on so

long in uk in USA and Portugal it is over after Christmas Day.

We wish them all a lovely day, together or alone.

love Cathie

• Posted

For us, Christmas seems to last forever.  My wife is of Polish background, so we start with St.Nicholas day next weekend.  Their main celebration is Christmas eve, where you stop putting food on the table when you hear it groaning for mercy. Then we have traditional UK Christmas day celebrations and food .... and Boxing day too.

Got to watch the calorie intake, as I am not as active as I was, and I don't want to put on weight having taken off 5 stone (70 pounds) before the hip operation.

As you say, have a great Christmas celebration, wherever you are, and whoever you are with. Even if you have no-one physically with you, we are all here with you in the forum.

Best Regards

Graham

• Posted

Cathie that was a touching post - you have everyone here. Is a church service a possibility? Even if you are not religious, it is such a lovely place to be on Christmas morning. If you organise it now they have transport if you can't get there or drive. X
    • Posted

You are so thoughtful, Rose, I am not alone, but this

year we decided that a flight to uk to be with family would

probably result in flu. The irony is that my husband's got

flu now, HE didn't have the vaccine because I wanted to delay

after my op, and he waited for me. 55 years wed, how to demonstrate

togetherness! 

There is something to be said for our  independent stance, in that

we eat what we want and when we want, and get our own Boxing Day

leftovers. 

Cathie

• Posted

thank you for taking time, and as above, I must stop worrying.  Christmas with grandchildren must be done!   
    • Posted

thank you Alice, I have read all helpful comments, it is reassuring.  i wish  you all the very best over christmas.  This site is so good, I am glad I found it.
    • Posted

Hi Susie.  I initially was offered the op at Salisbury Dist Hosp and have friends who have been there.  Amesburys Ward is relatively new and pleasant..I have visited a hippie here last wek.  I backed out due to a phobia and desp to have my own room.  so paid in the end and went to New Hall Hospital just outside Sallisbiry.  there was a couple of NHS patients there too..Choose and Book..means you can go to New Hall on NHS too.  I chose  Mr S Veitch to do my operation and he wa also going to do it on NHS.  Extremely good surgeon and nice too.  I don't think I had any different treatment by going privately except the reassurance of my own room..but this can happen on NHS too. The after care was good too.

​I am now on NHS waiting list for some more physio as now 12 weeks and still limping a bit when tired and struggle a little getting out of chaies .I had a cemented hip in the thigh ( lateral is that?).  I am doing well.  the first 2-3 weeks were hard on your own but frustrating more than painful...and loneley.  But I am out and about bus'ing into Salsibury most days.  You aren't far from me I am in Wilton and am fine.  I don't like this time of year since my husbad died but am happy for most of the time. I do have lots of good friends and neighbours and 2 cats!!

​Kindest regards Susie..Did you do your shopping on line?  I had a huge tesco order delivered this morning!

​Alice

• Posted

Hi Alice:

I shoujld be seeing my GP either end of ext week or early the week after.  As it is getting alarmingly close to Christmas, my referral may have to wait until after the holidays!

I haven't shopped on line yet, as I still strugglig around the supermarket, but it is becoming increasingly difficult, but I have always been totally self sufficient and have never been in a situation where \i could rely on someone else. Boarding school background from age 5 years, and an early recruitment to a job offer in New York, I think is the backbone of that.  So, it is difficult for me to rely on outside services, etc.  Think I will pay Waitrose in Melksham a visit during the week, if the weather isn't too bad.  I want to rty one or two of their ready meals, as I know that some of them are available on Ocado, particularly the risottos.   Tesco is awful and I am always ill after one of their ready meals.  Notnecesssarily Tesco's fault, as one never know how food is handled during and after transit.  Nevertheless, they are bland and uninteresting and the ethnic meals bare no resemblance to the original!

I have heard that the two weeks, post op are the worst, and think a lot of that is reaction to the anaesthesiia.  Sleeping on my back is not going to sit too well with me either.  Althought I have tried it a coupe of times with the help of some diazepam, and was able to get a good night.  

I would prefer to have my own room, but as an NHS patient, I will have to take what is offered.  Problem with sharing a room, is that I don't always want to engage in chatter, but don't wisht to appear rude, either.  We don't always feel well enough after an operation.  

Salisbury is going to be a little too far away from me, so it looks as though it will be Circle Bath or RUH Bath.  O know RUH Bath, as  a friend of mine's mother was in there for a while, several times Circle Bath, I only heard of recently.

Best thing for me, at the moment is to go with the flow, I think, and see how things develop.

All the best, and I will keep in touch.

Susie

• Posted

Hi Susie,   would still see your GP for a referral as it will takes weeks to be seen.

​Mr Veitch was very sympathetic to my reasons for wanting a room of my own and was going todo his best for me to go nto a side ward. I was ipressed with that!. the lady in the next room to be at New Hall Hospital had all the same as me and was an NHS patient.  Luck of the draw.  Yes the sleeping on our back for 6 weeks is very difficult..but the joy when you can turn on your side!!

​Yes I also went to boarding school after leaving La Sante Union in Bath ( you had a friend there from reading previous posts) as my pa was also RN. But take any help that may be offered..there are no points for being a hero..That was said to me at the hopsital and they were right.

​Good luck with Waitrose..my treat shop as is M and S.  As I have mentioned before I am very happy with Tesco.  This monring they couldn't deliver the wine I had ordered but nstead substituted me with 6 far superior bottles for the price of my original request!  Can't be bad!

​Yes do keep in touch.  I enjoy reading posts and don't feel as alone.  Sundays are grim days usually.

Kind REgards,

alice

• Posted

Hi Lynne

I am 6 weeks post op of my 2nd THR and I would say go to your grand-daughters and enjoy Christmas with your great-children. It is still early days for your husband and you will be amazed how much more he will be able to do in the next four weeks. You can decide what to take with you to make him as comfortable as possible right up to the day you go (even the raised

toilet seat!) and if you have a word with your grand-daughter Im sure she will do whatever she can to help.

We are hosting Christmas this year (help!) seemed a good idea at the time😀 ! But I know with the help of my husband and daughter it will be fine and if I get too tired I can have a post turkey nap which your hushand might want as well!

Best wishes to you both 

Linnet x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.